Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/01/scoop-louis-vuitton-buys-aston-martin/

"All the bids are in and the winning bidder has been revealed: Aston Martin is being bought by LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA, the French luxury goods consortium that produces upper-crust products ranging from leather trunks and wallets to champagne and cognac...and now exotic luxury sports cars, too.

In placing the highest bid, Louis Vuitton beat out some serious contenders, including consortia led by Aston's current boss, billionaire moguls and numerous heavy-hitting investment firms.

Ford Motor Company will reportedly retain 15% interest in Aston Martin when Louis Vuitton takes over. Although both Ford PAG and Louis Vuitton declined to comment to DowJones MarketWatch, the media outlet that broke the story, German car mag Autobild will be running the story tomorrow (Friday).

While there has been a history of fashion labels and automakers collaborating on special editions – including Aston Martin and Dunhill – the purchase of a stoic marque like Aston Martin is pioneering new ground, although Louis Vuitton does have an established history in sponsoring concours d'elegance.

Gold and brown DB9, anyone?"

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the talks have been for ages and i can see the LVMH capitalizing on the aston martin brand. as far as where the cars are going, they still need a strong team to get it right. the DB9 and V8 vantage was almost right.

·
Registered
339 Posts
M! said:
the talks have been for ages and i can see the LVMH capitalizing on the aston martin brand. as far as where the cars are going, they still need a strong team to get it right. the DB9 and V8 vantage was almost right.

I test drove one, I'd say the vantage was more than just "almost right". Granted they could use a 2+2 model under $150k, but quality of the Vantage compared to my Maser...I hate to say it but I think the Vantage wins. We'll know for sure when their paddleshift model is available in April for test drives.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
when i say the v8 vantage was almost right, i am referring again to something i mentioned on this board before: they will release some higher spec V8 Vantage in the future (V8 Vantage S, CS, RS, FI or whatever), and the money you just spend on a V8 Vantage just got you into the bottom of their list of available models, even though you can afford more and want more.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
With Ford losing $35 million a day (1.4 million per hour!) I predict that Jaguar's next.

If Ford would Focus (excuse the pun) on that Japanese young kid Scion market, they'd rule. That's where the money is. Dump that damn Mustang too. YUCK!

Disclamer: The opinions expressed are those of Buzz and are the only correct opinions. All other opinions are stupid and will be immedeatly ignored

:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
With Ford losing $35 million a day (1.4 million per hour!) I predict that Jaguar's next.

If Ford would Focus (excuse the pun) on that Japanese young kid Scion market, they'd rule. That's where the money is. Dump that damn Mustang too. YUCK!

Disclamer: The opinions expressed are those of Buzz and are the only correct opinions. All other opinions are stupid and will be immedeatly ignored

:D

who do u think would buy jaugar? Is their a chance it could just vanish and never return like we have seen other car companies do?

what would Jaguar have to do to be sucessful? Autoweek loves their new model they have coming out

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Fred said:
Make a sports car with a stick shift.
But then the demographic (65+ years old) couldn't shift without breaking a hip :rolleyes:

·
Registered
528 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
But then the demographic (65+ years old) couldn't shift without breaking a hip :rolleyes:
If they keep chasing a demographic group that is dieing off, so will the company.

The XK8 has potential to be a cool car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, I agree on all counts with the Jag comments.
However, I am becoming more and more intrigued with the Vantage. I would love to continue with owning Masers, but it isn't looking pretty for those of us who prefer sportier, trackable, cars and in particular spyders. The next coupe seems like it will be almost as big as the QP with no more horsepower, and there have been no credible predictions on if or when a soft top will arrive (except those earlier ones that said it would have an Alpha six cylinder engine - ugh).
The Vantage is awesome looking, and is now arriving in a convertible model and with an F1 style tranny (although it may take a year or two to get the tranny dialed in). The only knock I can see on the Vantage is that it is 380HP and, like the Maser, doesn't seem like it is keeping up with the HP wars.
Maybe I'll just keep my Maser way past the warranty expiration in 11/07, put in the Formula Dynamics mods (anyone heard anything on these lately?), and enjoy it.
Mike

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fred said:
If they keep chasing a demographic group that is dieing off, so will the company.

The XK8 has potential to be a cool car.
they new ads seem to marketed to upscale white 30s playboy types in several of the magazines. They will show a good looking thin man in a blazer with a 5 o'clock shadow on town chasing skirts. :D

isnt that what is all about ?

1. sports cars
2. chasing girls

But I love the XJR but I wish it was a 6 speed manual

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the V8 can be upgraded to 425hp with the prodrive mods. supposedly their suspension mod is good too. not cheap.

and, supposedly, the production of roadster:vantage will be 75:25 among the 3500 cars per year. ( i thought it would be close to 5000 a year...) so the vantage would be a 'rarer' car.

and, again, they are claiming the roadster will be just as good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts