1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Competitor's model: Aston Martin N24 V8 Vantage

official news

world car fans repeat with pictures

i like the fact that aston martin is bold enough to get a race inspired/prepped car to the customer for the same price as a regular model (£79k). something that porsche would charge their customer $$$, and maserati doesn't offer. (may be you can buy a Trofeo car for 2x the cost of a GS?)

The MC Victory was a good marketing poly to get an extra $$,$$$ for a special group of dedicated and proud maserati owners happy. but if you look at the N24 V8 Vantage, the money is actually gone into good use. certainly the MC12 seats and CF pieces are lovely.

I think the coupe/gransport should finish their product cycle with something similar - a light weight, strip out race prep Trofeo version.

·
Registered
339 Posts
M! said:
Competitor's model: Aston Martin N24 V8 Vantage

official news

world car fans repeat with pictures

i like the fact that aston martin is bold enough to get a race inspired/prepped car to the customer for the same price as a regular model (£79k). something that porsche would charge their customer $$$, and maserati doesn't offer. (may be you can buy a Trofeo car for 2x the cost of a GS?)

The MC Victory was a good marketing poly to get an extra $$,$$$ for a special group of dedicated and proud maserati owners happy. but if you look at the N24 V8 Vantage, the money is actually gone into good use. certainly the MC12 seats and CF pieces are lovely.

I think the coupe/gransport should finish their product cycle with something similar - a light weight, strip out race prep Trofeo version.

yea, but you forget, a "real" race car requires a lot more man hours to build and alot of different hardware. Although you no longer use the nice leather interior pieces, seats and accessories the production car uses, those pieces are reduced in manuf. cost by volume.

For example, our 997 GT3 Cup race car was about $50k more than the standard GT3 model delivered to the consumer. It has airjacks, rollcage, MOTEC management system, fire system, fuel cell, race wheels, race suspension, race seat, lexan windows, CF body panels....the list goes on and on. Even though it's a kevlar shell with some padding, the Recaro HANS seat is still more expensive than the stock leather drivers seat.

I can see how the building of the "factory racecars" justifies a much higher price. Although they look very similar, the race version is far from just a stripped down version of the street car. If you tried to do the conversion yourself, I'm sure you'd spend 2x's what the factory charges you.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think Ferrari charges about the same for their Challenge car as they do for a loaded 430...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, but did you read that the N24 has a few of the things you listed?

mille162 said:
yea, but you forget, a "real" race car requires a lot more man hours to build and alot of different hardware. Although you no longer use the nice leather interior pieces, seats and accessories the production car uses, those pieces are reduced in manuf. cost by volume.

For example, our 997 GT3 Cup race car was about $50k more than the standard GT3 model delivered to the consumer. It has airjacks, rollcage, MOTEC management system, fire system, fuel cell, race wheels, race suspension, race seat, lexan windows, CF body panels....the list goes on and on. Even though it's a kevlar shell with some padding, the Recaro HANS seat is still more expensive than the stock leather drivers seat.

I can see how the building of the "factory racecars" justifies a much higher price. Although they look very similar, the race version is far from just a stripped down version of the street car. If you tried to do the conversion yourself, I'm sure you'd spend 2x's what the factory charges you.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think Ferrari charges about the same for their Challenge car as they do for a loaded 430...

·
Registered
339 Posts
M! said:
yea, but did you read that the N24 has a few of the things you listed?
I was just pointing out the usual difference in price. Yes, it has a few of those things, but it would still need some expensive modifications to be a competitive race car...and those little things can really add up.

The Ferrari Stradele Challenge car came with alot of those things too, and it's still only a street legal version of the actual Challenge car that is raced. As far as I'm concerned, if it's street legal, it's not a competitive race car.

Don't get me wrong, I love the N24 and have already put a call into my dealer to see if it'll be available in something other than yellow.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and i m just pointing out that the UNUSUAL difference in price.

so what are you planning on racing your N24?
what other expensive modifications are you planning to make it a competitive race car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts