Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered if there was a back story on the name selection of some of the older model and racing maseratis....names like Mistral, Ghibli, Khamsin, Bora, Merak, Kyalami, Shamal, Karif, Tipo, and Trofeo. Not very Italian-sounding yet, very distinct (ok - trofeo = trophy). Anyone know the origins of these names?

1946-1969 A6 · 3500 · 5000 GT · Mistral · Quattroporte I · Sebring · Mexico · Ghibli I
1970-1979 Khamsin · Bora · Indy · Merak · Quattroporte II · Quattroporte III · Kyalami
1980-1999 Biturbo · 420 · Spyder I · Quattroporte III Royale · Racing ·Shamal · Karif · Barchetta · Ghibli II · Quattroporte IV · 3200 GT
2000-present Coupé · Spyder II · GranSport · Quattroporte V · MC12 · GranTurismo
Racing Vehicles 26M · 8C · V8RI · 8CM · 8CLT · 8CTF · 8CL · 6CM · 4CL/4CLT · A6GCM · 150S · Tipo 63 · Tipo 65 · 250F · 200S · 300S · 350S · 450S · Tipo 61 "Birdcage" · Tipo 151 · Tipo 154 · MC12 GT1 · Trofeo
Concept Cars: Birdcage 75th

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've always wondered if there was a back story on the name selection of some of the older model and racing maseratis....names like Mistral, Ghibli, Khamsin, Bora, Merak, Kyalami, Shamal, Karif, Tipo, and Trofeo. Not very Italian-sounding yet, very distinct (ok - trofeo = trophy). Anyone know the origins of these names?

1946-1969 A6 · 3500 · 5000 GT · Mistral · Quattroporte I · Sebring · Mexico · Ghibli I
A6 - Alfieri 6 cylinder

The 3500 & 5000 were the engine size of the cars.

Mistral was the start of a Maserati tradition of naming the car after famous winds. The Mistral is a cold strong dry wind in France.

Quattroporte is Italian for 4 Door.

Sebring is in honor of Maserati's win at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1957 with a 450S

Mexico is in honor of the (Cooper) Maserati win at the 1966 Mexico GP in F1.

Ghibli is another wind this one in North Africa

1970-1979 Khamsin · Bora · Indy · Merak · Quattroporte II · Quattroporte III · Kyalami
Khamsin another wind. This one in Egypt that blows for 50 days. It is also Arabic for 50.

Bora another wind blowing from the Adriatic Sea area.

Indy in honor of Maserati's wins in 1939 & 40 at the Indy 500

Merak is named after a star.

Quattroporte. Version 2 & version 3

Kyalami in honor of Maserati win at the South African race.

1980-1999 Biturbo · 420 · Spyder I · Quattroporte III Royale · Racing ·Shamal · Karif · Barchetta · Ghibli II · Quattroporte IV · 3200 GT
Biturbo either means 2 turbos or the sexual prefence of the turbos not sure?

420 - 4 doors 2 liter

Quattroporte Royale was a built to order luxury version of the car made for a number of people that were Royality

Racing just a more performace version of the then current model Biturbo.

Shamal again a wind this one blows through Iraq. These winds became famous during both Iraq wars. In the 1991 war it moved up the timetable for the invasion to avoid them. In the current war, it slowed the advance on Baghdad until the Shamal wind past.

Karif another wind from Somolia

Barchetta is Italian for little boat. This name is used by many Italian manufacters for open cars.

Ghibli ll & QP lV is the 2nd and 4 version of each car

3200 is engine size GT is Grand Touring or Gran Turismo

2000-present Coupé · Spyder II · GranSport · Quattroporte V · MC12 · GranTurismo
Coupe - traditional name of a 2 door closed car.

Spyder - traditional name for 2 seat Italian convertables

Qp V- number 5

MC12 - Maserati Corsa 12 cylinder

GranTurismo - Grand Touring which is actually the type of cars that Maserati has always built for the road.

Racing Vehicles 26M · 8C · V8RI · 8CM · 8CLT · 8CTF · 8CL · 6CM · 4CL/4CLT · A6GCM · 150S · Tipo 63 · Tipo 65 · 250F · 200S · 300S · 350S · 450S · Tipo 61 "Birdcage" · Tipo 151 · Tipo 154 · MC12 GT1 · Trofeo
Concept Cars: Birdcage 75th
26M - Type 26 (for the year inwhich it was 1st built 1926) M for monoposto (single seater)

8C - 8 cylinder Corsa (race)

V8Ri -V8 independent suspension

8CM - 8 cylinder Corsa Monoposto

8CLT - 8 cylinder Corsa Linguette (Tubular Frame)

8CTF - 8 cylinder Corsa Testa Fissa (fixed head)

8CL - 8 cylinder Corsa Linguette (in line)

6CM - 6 cylinder Corsa Monoposto

4CL/T - 4 cylinder Corsa Linguette (Tubular Frame)

A6GCM - Alfieri 6 cylinder "G" was a cast iron block "C" corsa "M" monoposto

150S - 1.5 liter sport

200S - 2.0 liter sport

300S - 3.0 liter sport

450S - 4.5 liter sport

250F - 2.5 liter Formula

Tipo 60, 61, 63, 64, 65 - Tipo (type) are internal company designations for each model. The 450S was Tipo 54. These cars were the different types of the Birdcage concept.

Tipo 151 - internal company project name

Trofeo - Italian for trophy

Birdcage - Is actually a nick name for the structure of the tipo 60 - 65 race cars. It was made up of a series of small tubes that resembled a "Birdcage"

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe - you are the 'Encyclopedia Maseratica' - thanks! I never guessed that many of the names would be winds but, I did think that a couple had Arabic origins. Thanks for this.

Now about this one....
Biturbo either means 2 turbos or the sexual prefence of the turbos not sure?
:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bravo !! Bravo !!!

Bravo!! That was very complete. From that I have learned that Maseratis either win races or BLOW !! UP.

sorry could not resist!!

DrEvil

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bravo!! That was very complete. From that I have learned that Maseratis either win races or BLOW !! UP.

sorry could not resist!!

DrEvil

Actually that isn't too far off the truth especially when refering to the 450S.
The 450S was flat out the fastest car of its era, and if it didn't break, it won.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Joe - you are the 'Encyclopedia Maseratica' - thanks! I never guessed that many of the names would be winds but, I did think that a couple had Arabic origins. Thanks for this.

Now about this one....

:D
Just a long time Maserati owner (20 + years & 11 Maseratis) or as we are also known a "Maserchist".

Here are a couple of pictures of vintage Maseratis from the Maserati Owners National Meet & Historic Reunion at Le Belle Macchine d'Italia

http://www.italiancarsatpocono.com/MIE White Hi Res.pdf

The first one includes all 3 of the 8CTFs ever built including the Boyle Special which won the Indy 500 in '39 & 40 (and would have won in '41 but broke while leading)

This was the 1st time all 3 of these car were together since 1948.

The second one is of the largest gathering of the legendary 450S in 45 years included in the picture is the sole surviving 350S.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe - you're a wealth of knowledge and I'm glad you're on this board. I'll be at the meet in the Poconos this summer...will look you up.

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
113 Posts
Well done!

Now that, Ladies and Gentleman, is how you answer a question!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Joe - you're a wealth of knowledge and I'm glad you're on this board. I'll be at the meet in the Poconos this summer...will look you up.
Look forward to meeting you as well. I just wish we could get more of the current era Maserati owners to come out.

We've never been able to figure out why they don't seem to turn out like the modern Ferrari & Lamborghini owners. It's usually harder to get the vintage owners to bring out their cars.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Modern Owners

Look forward to meeting you as well. I just wish we could get more of the current era Maserati owners to come out.

We've never been able to figure out why they don't seem to turn out like the modern Ferrari & Lamborghini owners. It's usually harder to get the vintage owners to bring out their cars.
My kids don't consider me modern, and I am not even sure if my QP Sport will still be modern with all the new models coming out, but I have already booked the time off work to come!

Ciao

·
Registered
517 Posts
My kids don't consider me modern, and I am not even sure if my QP Sport will still be modern with all the new models coming out, but I have already booked the time off work to come!

Ciao
Great glad to hear it. Look forward to seeing you there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts