Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... just placed an order on a granturismo yesterday (expecting in July) as it ended up being the car that I had to make the least number of comprimises on (wow that sounds pretty bad).

2 main drawbacks for me were the power and the gadgets.

For the gadgets I spoke to an AV installer the dealer told me about and he said he'd be able to replace the whole navi unit and replace it with a touch screen with realtime traffic update, XM, Bluetooth, ipod connectors and yes even windows (he'll use same dash panels so it should keep its factory look). So that seems to take care of that.

Which leaves me with the power issue. Now I've read the forums and I've read how a lot of people are like well this is a gt and not a sport car, etc. I undertand that however it is a 120k+ car with two doors and looks like it is (and I'm not saying it needs to be an m6 or even a cl63) but I own a bmw 535 sedan and that feels more sporty. Amazingly enough the first maserati dealer I went to agreed and mentioned that the 535 can be my sporty car and the granturismo can be more of a cruiser. I was like what.... are you serious?? A 4 door sedan thats not even the most powerful one in its line up (m5 then 550 then 535) more sporty than the granturismo? I was going to mention that I also own a infiniti g35 coupe (which mind you is also classified at a gt) but stopped myself.

In any case i thought about it and figured that performance is something that I could modify however looks/backseats/comfort.....looks.... wasn't. So I've been trying to find people who've added performance mods on thier GT's or QP's and see how thier experience has been. i'm thinking another 50hp would be all the it needs to make it feel MUCH better. any suggestions? Honestly performance upgrades is something I'd really like to stay away from and would ideally buy a car with the power that i'm looking for but unfortunately could not find anything in the market that balanced it. So yeah... i feel like its pretty necessary. The GT would be my perfect car with a hp boost (btw i did really like the handling).

I'm thinking ECU, maybe exhaust, intake... anything else?

I know this might sound extreme but what do you guys think of a a small supercharger/twin turbo?

Apparently this is the same engine in the Ferrari (same displacement?) and in that its good for 480hp so i'm guess I don't need to mess with internals up to that point.

Thoughts? suggestions? know any shops who do high end car performance mods in southern california?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Mods...

I would start with the exhaust, Larini or Tubi, then get better air, BMC filter, then go for the ECU update, Jeff at formula dynamics can help you there and then look at other options... You truly have an automatic transmission with a torque convertor so you have some options there for launch RPM, etc...

The block in the GT is the same engine that is in the Alpha 8C, Maserati Coupe, QP and the Ferrari F430 but the difference is in the cams, the intake manifold, and other slight things like that. The F430 Scuderia makes 510hp out of the same engine at 8500rpm so there is a lot of room for mods...

The March 8th issue of Automobile Magazine gives you the exact differences of all three engines, bore, stroke, cam, intake, wet vs dry sump, etc.... I think that information might help you see what the minor differences are and where to apply your money the best....

We did have a guy here supercharge his Maserati, but we haven't heard from him since, so either he blew up or he's out driving!! : - )

·
Registered
191 Posts
more power ??

why not just go for the Gran Turismo "S" car... or did you all ready say that and i missed it...

ps.. I will have my Gran Turismo in 2 weeks....

come on Santa... hurry up !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. Asked about the 'S' but no one really knows when its going to come out and the 3 dealers I spoke to in SoCal said that they are so limited that they are going to only offer it to return customers. So between waiting a year and possibility of not even getting it after the wait... its just not a feasible option.

GrndLkNatv do you know who that guy was who did the supercharger or where he got it done? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys. Asked about the 'S' but no one really knows when its going to come out and the 3 dealers I spoke to in SoCal said that they are so limited that they are going to only offer it to return customers. So between waiting a year and possibility of not even getting it after the wait... its just not a feasible option.

GrndLkNatv do you know who that guy was who did the supercharger or where he got it done? Thanks!
i would say if power is what you are going for then go for the S. but wow. they make the S sound very limited. it is going to be a slightly different car than the GT with the different transmission.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
All discussions I have had with my dealer in Tokyo about the S (which I had put a deposit down and then had to cancel due to bl00dy work :mad:) indicated that it is not a limited production car.

There is a member in here who is getting his GT S this summer (in Spain I believe).

·
Registered
722 Posts
My dealer said the "S" would be here in Dec, and offered to give me a call when one came in so I could give it a try. It didn't sound all that rare.

I test drove the Granturismo and thought it high on style but not that exciting to drive. I practically lit up when I got back in my GS and realized how much I enjoy my current car.

So I'd hold out for an S unless you prefer a softer GT style ride or conventional auto transmission (nothing wrong with those either).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase.

I think we are all hoping someone will sit down and analyze what the differences are between the Maserati and Ferrari 430 engines. Then, if possible, develop those parts that create the enhanced power in the 430 to be adapted to the Maserati.

The problem is the cost to design a part, such as the camshaft, may be cost prohibitive given the # of cars on the road and % of those car owners interested in major engine modifications.

I'm not a mechanic, and am unfamiliar with the differences, or even if its the same motor at all, other than the basic engineblock. so I cant really say what is the reason we have about 100 hp less than a 430.

Supposedly the GT S has an additional 50 hp but still has the same performance #s... I find that odd but intentional. The key is to find out why and how.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I test drove the Granturismo and thought it high on style but not that exciting to drive. I practically lit up when I got back in my GS and realized how much I enjoy my current car.
That was my impression as a passenger in the Granturismo.

We knew they were going in that direction though. There was too much negativity with the f1 system from start to finish.. even from the ferrari owners, which I still dont really understand, especially the 360 owners.

The service dept is changing clutches, in some cases, every 5k-10k miles. The average daily driver coming out of a mercedes, or bmw didnt want to deal with it, or couldnt deal with it, the wife didnt like the jerky auto mode, so Maserati had to make a decision of who
to target. Now all I read is "this is how it should have been in the first place".

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
We do offer an ECU Mod, Drive By Wire Mod, X-pipe, Air Filter, etc... for the GranTourismo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I'm guessing that the guys who have inquired about the S on this forum would be considered 'return customers' so I'm guessing you are the guys who get first dibs. In terms of rarity it all the dealerships (Irvine, Newport, Beverly Hills, Pasadena) have told me its going to be very rare and couple of them won't even take a deposit and the others will not guarantee. They don't really seem to know American release date either.

The thing is that I'm going to need a car pretty soon and don't want to have to wait till Dec (unlikely) or March (which was what most dealers told me) and then not get one. I read the article that M! gave the link for and it said that the S will be a one time run for the 2009 model year (the guy at Newport and I also think Pasadena said they will only get 100 for the whole US). I find this surprising. Perhaps later on they are planning an even more powerful car? Who knows, but its just too long to wait. Even July is too long to wait to be honest :)

So thats kinda why the 'S' isn't really an option although I know I'll probably end up spending more money than the cost of an S (hopefully not though) to get the gadget/power upgrades.

In terms of power upgrades I would prefer not to take apart the engine. I would assume I should be able to use a 'bolt on' supercharger to significantly increase power - but then again i've never done anything like that so I dunno whats involved. Will have to take it to a shop and find out. I also wonder if the ZF can handle the extra power. I think my goal would be 460-470hp. I feel the car just need an extra 'kick'.

I think I can live (and be happy) without the other added features of the S. Just need some power....soon. Its an awesome piece of machinery. So excitied :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info FormulaDynamics! Sweet! Now I'm even more excited.

Oh and I forgot to ask... what do you guys think of the brakes? When I took it out for the test drive the brakes felt a little weak. My daily driver right now is a g35 and I like the brakes on that, very responsive even more so than my 535. I just thought the GT would have more responsive brake, I really had to mash them.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What is your budget.

While tricking out a brand new GT may sound great and make the car purrrrr does it make financial sense given the alternatives?

I think that all depends on your budget and what you are looking for. You already have a four door daily driver BMW and a G35. Why not sell the G35, take the 150K you are gonna spend out of pocket for buying and tuning the GT and put the 175 - 185K into something sick.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Maserati. I am not knocking it at all. I just think at a certain price point you can upgrade.

At 180K you can get a nice pre owned Ferrari? or Lambo? You want plush and gadgets, what about a Bentley?

What is it about the new GT that makes the investment worth it for you?

Regardless, good luck and post some pictures.

Thanks

CM

CM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chris7469,

Thanks for bringing that up. Thing is and as I mentioned that the GT was the best compromise. I would do what you suggested but there isn't any other real options. One big requirement I have is 4 seats which cuts out pretty much everything lambo/ferrari/audi/etc. I am also looking for luxury which cuts out nissan gtr. Leaving me with the Bentley and Porsche and CL63 and M6. Porsche doesn't really have a useable rear seat, I don't feel comfortable paying that much for a CL63 as its just a Mercedes along with the fact that it doesn't look half as nice and the same case with Bentley and M6 (and also rarity).

Know of any other cars that fit the bill? if you do please let me know as I am still open to suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What about a used Ferrari 612, you can find one for around $150K.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey guys,

In terms of power upgrades I would prefer not to take apart the engine. I would assume I should be able to use a 'bolt on' supercharger to significantly increase power - but then again i've never done anything like that so I dunno whats involved. Will have to take it to a shop and find out. I also wonder if the ZF can handle the extra power. I think my goal would be 460-470hp. I feel the car just need an extra 'kick'.

I think I can live (and be happy) without the other added features of the S. Just need some power....soon. Its an awesome piece of machinery. So excitied :)

I think a bolt on supercharger would be an eventual strain on the engine components. You may end up taking the engine apart anyways to upgrade parts etc to accomodate the added power.

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
The gains on the GranTourismo are very similar to that of the Coupe and Quattroporte, it's the same engine with a different transmission setup and exhaust. Drive by Wire results are also a good improvement.

The Stock Brakes on the GranTourismo require alot of effort as delivered. SS Lines, pads and a good quality race bleed job will help quite a bit in terms of being very responsive and having more bite at normal driving speeds. Overall Brake Torque or stopping power is improved but not a huge difference. In other words we can help you quite a bit at 80 or less mph. When you're above that, it's just going to take a bit to get it stopped. Bottom line is that it's a really heavy car.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts