Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the hyper flow cat system is available for maserati's.
I have read that they increase performance and sound on ferrari and porsche, but cant find any info about maserati's.

Is there another co. that makes high flow cat systems for our cars?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Does anyone know if the hyper flow cat system is available for maserati's.
I have read that they increase performance and sound on ferrari and porsche, but cant find any info about maserati's.

Is there another co. that makes high flow cat systems for our cars?
Don't know. On US cars the pre-cats are part of the exhaust manifolds and can't be removed. Between the pre-cats and cats there is a mind-blowing tight crimp in the pipe as it passes under the steering box (REALLY limits the flow). The main cats follow. The 02 sensors are in front of and behind the pre-cats. There are thermocouples just before the main cats. Technically, the main cats could be removed or replaced with other types without upsetting the ECU.

Buzz

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will call a supplier monday and inquire about the options and post.

I keep reading that some high flow systems may reduce torque. Have you heard about this. I definetly do not want to sacrafice any performance for increased sound. Some say it will some say it wont.

If possible I'd like to add hyper flow cats and leave the tubi. I have heard it sounds good on the ferrari and increases hp, dont know what happens to the torque though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing. Everyone talks about hp gains with these modifications. Is there also torque gains or is there a trade off. I think a torque gain would be more beneficial than hp gains.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Modena Performance (germany) makes cat bypass pipes but they are currently out of stock...I cannot get a date of when they will have more in though

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Modena Performance (germany) makes cat bypass pipes but they are currently out of stock...I cannot get a date of when they will have more in though
Is that a straight pipe or a hi flow cat? I can have a straight pipe installed but would prefer to have a cat on the car for legal and environmental purposes.

I spoke to a rep for Hyper flow and they do not have a product for maserati yet but something may be available in the future.

·
Registered
518 Posts
this removes the cats completely but has a very nicely constructed high flow box area for the drop under the steering rack

·
Registered
68 Posts
x-ost cats

x-ost lists cats and they offer a new rear muffler with valves for Gransports.
They gave me prices by e-mail on the mufflers with and without valves, but I have no information on the cats. I have a contact name at the factory and am going to try and call Italy in the next few mornings. It is very difficult to get information from e-mail as they have a gal responding and she has to go ask someone. Does anyone have updates on high flow cats, replacing them in general, or know anything about the offerings from x-ost?

·
Registered
68 Posts
x-ost high flow cats, throttle boring etc....

I was able to get in touch with X-OST today by phone. They do offer high flow, 100 cell, metallic cats for our rides. This is the main cat - not pre.. They quoted the stock/convetional cats as 400 cell - quite a difference. The price is $1090 Euro's (pair) less 30% discount (approx $1k US). Who knows what the actual performance improvement is (if any). X-ost did comment that the car would be noticeable louder, and there is a potential for a "cel". They have a fix for this in house. They claim to have a former Ferrari/Mas factory tuner and will reprogram the computer to avoid further issue - should it occur.

I have spoken to Jeff at Formula Dynamics at length and he believes he can tune for this. We are going to explore this and some other (new) performance upgrades for the car, and see if he can offer some pre-tuned packages using me as a test. One new idea we are going to explore is boring out the stock electronic throttle. I have done this in the past with other vehicles and picked up small gains in hp and response etc.. I am going to attempt to bore out my stock throttle, install a larger butterfly, then send it to Jeff for testing/tuning... I will post on this and the other mods as soon as we have something to report.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts