Maserati Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side door (QP) suddenly stopped opening from inside the car. I was able to roll down the window and open it using both the electronic and manual latches from the outside.

The handle doesn't feel restricted or loose in any way it just won't open the door.

Anyone else had this problem? Is there a cable or other type of actuator which may have come off?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Anyone else had this problem? Is there a cable or other type of actuator which may have come off?
Yes, I have heard of this happening before from a friend's QP. Since the car was under warranty, it went to the dealer, so I couldn't tell you what exactly came undone in the door.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I looked at the service manual and it looks nasty getting to the mechanism. There appears to be a vapour barrier glued inside the door.

Sounds like the dealer is the winner!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wound up fixing the door handle myself due to time contraints at the dealership and my schedule.

Some tips for anyone who has the same problem in the future.

Removing the door panel is not a difficult job as long as you know where to find the bolts to remove. The service manual shows two bolts underneath the wooden trim and 1 bolt underneath the leather door handle/guard.

There is also a bolt underneath the reflector at the back of the door (not in the manual). If you miss the bolt .....

The door panel then just pops off although it is handy to have the proper tool (about $10) so that you don't bend or break any of the plastic clips that hold the panel on.

The door release is activated by a cable through a plastic eyelet that retains the cable shroud to the door handle. IMHO the plastic eyelet is a weak point in the design and in my case it was what failed.

It looks like it is about $150 to replace the part through Eurospares. I just fabricated a small metal bracket in the shape of the original eyelet and then screwed it in the plastic housing of the handle itself. Seems to work fine if you ever come across the same situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.