Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest generation of Maseratis have been available in North America since 2002 and there are now probably close to 10,000 cars on the road.

As a certified Italian car nut I attend events all over country, while attending those events what is obviously noticeable is the poor turnout by owners of the current generation of Maseratis.

The majority of Ferraris that come out to events are usually the latest versions of their cars 360/430/550 etc. The same with Lamborghinis, lots of Gallardos. But not Maseratis.

The question is why? Are the owners not interested in going to events with other owners? Is it the lack of a viable Maserati club in your area? Is it a lack of enthusiasm for the marque. Looking at the number of posts on this forum that can't be it.

So, what is the reason that there is such a poor turnout of owners compared to other Italian Marques considering that Maserati sells more cars here than either Ferrari or Lamborghini?

Joe

·
Registered
635 Posts
Joe,

I would love to hear the answer on this observation as well. At our Italian Concours here in Washington, we see the same "phenomenon".

Here is a perfect example. Last year we had 20 Maserati's at our show. 4 of those were new models from our local dealer "Ferrari and Maserati of Seattle", 15 were older cars (Quattroporte III and earlier), and one, yes 1, new "private" 2002 Coupe was there.

By comparison, out of the 24 Lamborghini's we had, I could guess well over half to 2/3 were Diablo, Gallardo and Murcielago's. The balance were (3) Countach's, my Jalpa, LM002, and Miura.

We saw the same with Ferrari. Lots of folks brought out their 360's, 430, 550 & 575's. And the mixture was about 1/2 and 1/2 between new and older.

For some reason, the Maserati folks are very reluctant to come out. The only thing I ever heard, was one owner of a newer model told me 2 years ago, "I can't see spending $25.00 to enter my car and display it". My comments back were, "Wouldn't you like to help spread the word about Maserati in the USA? Talk to folks about your likes? Dislikes? All this in addition to our "goodie bags" that we give each entrant that are worth nearly $100.00 in products from our vendors and sponsors. Never did get a reply.... :confused:

Oh well, this year I will have my '02 Coupe there along with the Jalpa and Aprilia. Maserati of Seattle is bringing out 5 cars, so at least we'll have 6 this year! :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Here's my theory (and no offense to owners of Lambos and Ferraris, but just a suggested theory):

Maserati owners actually *drive* their cars. Taking the exotic out for a "special day" is an everyday occurrence for a Maserati owner who realizes that his/her car is an everyday driver.

Also, I would suggest that Maserati owners tend to view their cars as "exquisitely fun transportation", not museum pieces to be trotted out on occassion to assuage ones' vanity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mike,

You mentioned the Italian Concours here in WA. Where can i get more info? If my schedule (and wife) allows, I'll happily bring my 04 CC.

Garrett

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mike,

You mentioned the Italian Concours here in WA. Where can i get more info? If my schedule (and wife) allows, I'll happily bring my 04 CC.

Garrett
I went to it on 2005 and displayed my car, a great event!
That year Maserati was the celebrated marque, and there were a few "modern" Maseratis there from private owners. FMOS didn't have any cars there that year, though I did see one of their salesmen.

All of the Maserati owners were very friendly and down to earth. Some of the 430 owners, not so much.

PS my decision on going/not going is all about free time. Many family events, business travel, car rallies, etc.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
perhaps, just perhaps, maserati owners are a little shy and don't have that 'LOOK AT ME' flamboyant profiles of more flashy ferraris and lamborghinis?

glenn, very very nice picture!!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
GarrettG:

We'd love to have you there!

http://www.italianconcours.org

This year we will be back on the Waterfront at the City of Des Moines marina.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Eagles Don't Flock
These Eagles Flocked and they are the baddest Eagles ever to come out of Viale Ciro Menotti.

Back: (L) Sole Surviving 350S, (R) 300S
Middle: The Largest gathering of the Legendary 450S in 45 years. This is half of the surviving cars left in the world.
Front: (L) Tipo 63 Birdcage (R) Tipo 64 Birdcage

Photo from Maserati Owners National Meet & Historic Reunion.
www.italiancarsatpocono.com

Joe
Ghibli SS # 2110
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver Test Car)
Mistral # 1216 ('67 NY Auto Show Car)
Bora # 1246 (Next to Last Production Car)
Islero # 6243
Mondial Cab # 49713
Lele Marlboro # 184 (Factory Works Car & Geneva Show Car)
Laforza # 159

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here's a pic of my 2002 Coupe exhibiting at the 2007 Celebration Exotic Car Show. I called in advance and asked them if they wanted me to exhibit. At that time, there were NO coupes registered, so they encouraged me to participate, which I was glad to do as it was a fund-raiser for a worthy cause. There were only two non-dealer Maseratis at the show. Curiously, both were 2002 Coupes in Nero Carbonio, Tabaco Interior, burlwood trim. Really quite funny. Thankfully, the other coupe was, shall we say, pimped, so there was quite a contrast despite the identical build orders of the cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
I went to the coffee & cars event in Calabasas for the first time today, and I had the only Maserati. I didn't get that many looks in the sea of Ferraris, Lambos, Carrera GTs, a CLK-GTR, a MB gullwing, etc. etc. etc.

Really I think it boils down to the fact that the cars there were weekend toys whereas a Maserati is a daily driver. There were very few Benzes and almost no BMWs there as well, despite the cars overlapping in many segments.

·
Registered
94 Posts
These Eagles Flocked and they are the baddest Eagles ever to come out of Viale Ciro Menotti.

Back: (L) Sole Surviving 350S, (R) 300S
Middle: The Largest gathering of the Legendary 450S in 45 years. This is half of the surviving cars left in the world.
Front: (L) Tipo 63 Birdcage (R) Tipo 64 Birdcage

Photo from Maserati Owners National Meet & Historic Reunion.
www.italiancarsatpocono.com

Joe
Ghibli SS # 2110
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver Test Car)
Mistral # 1216 ('67 NY Auto Show Car)
Bora # 1246 (Next to Last Production Car)
Islero # 6243
Mondial Cab # 49713
Lele Marlboro # 184 (Factory Works Car & Geneva Show Car)
Laforza # 159
I think some of the other members have hit upon it. . .Most of the Maserati owners on this forum seem to use their vehicles as daily drivers. I would believe that none of the vehicles posted in your photo are daily drivers. Much the same with the Ferrari and Lambo drivers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Having said that, the exclusivity of the mark and model really seem to generate interest in the car-show attending public. My car received alot of attention at the Celebration show. Many people going round and round for five minutes and more. The cars (coupes particularly) are not so noticeable in the real world. When people actually stop to notice a Maserati Coupe, they take interest in it. It doesn't hurt to have the hood open.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Having said that, the exclusivity of the mark and model really seem to generate interest in the car-show attending public. My car received alot of attention at the Celebration show. Many people going round and round for five minutes and more. The cars (coupes particularly) are not so noticeable in the real world. When people actually stop to notice a Maserati Coupe, they take interest in it. It doesn't hurt to have the hood open.
Some people take too much notice.

I was driving my daughter back to school today, going over the hill on Hwy 17. Approaching Santa Cruz we hit stop and go traffic and I noticed the guy in the Crown Vic in front of us was taking pictures over his shoulder with his cell phone!

Long story short, the traffic picked up speed and suddenly the guy slams on his brakes and dives for the shoulder - unfortunately there was already an accident there... He drove the stopped car ahead 5 or 6 feet. :confused:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I finished 5th out of 125 cars and an 06 Gallardo...

My father is retired and loves his 75 restored vette. He goes to shows just about ever weekend from April to September. He has about 100 trophys or so... Whenever the shows are close I go and visit. Unfortunately, most of the local shows are for older cars. The newer cars are not welcome.

However, the local german american club had an open car show. There were 125 cars, the top 50 as voted on by the judges and people got trophies.

I brought my 04 coupe and was very surprised at the positive reaction of everyone. I love my car but drive it all them time and don't really think of it as a special or rare exotic.

At the show there were about 10 Porsches, a few old bentlys, a few money corvettes and a lot of custom rods and big dollar garage queens.... Another young guy brought his green 06 Gallardo.

I had a blast, the people were all friendly and I scored 5th out of 125 cars... It was a great day...

Plus I spent some quality time with my pop...

There is an exotic car show every year in Frenchtown NJ, filled with tons of Ferraris, Lambos and others. Last August, it rained that day, hopefully I will make it this year....

CM

·
Registered
518 Posts
Due to my love of driving I prefer my weekends with my cars spent on an autox course or competing in a road rally instead of the standard car show

1 - 19 of 19 Posts