Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with making the ecu stand alone for an old school swap? I have a complete Maserati quattroporte and am looking to swap motor and tranny into, you guessed it 69 Firebird. Since I have the complete car, I should have everything I need including all transmission controls. I am looking for information on how to remove smog related equipment and ecu and tcu updates. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
What year/model QP?

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Auto or F1?

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my GT there is a car ecu and a motor ecu, these two are calibrated to only work with each other, I discovered this when I replaced my engine. I would believe this would be true for the QP as well. Good luck!

3,316 Posts
I think you are gonna find trying to make stuff like this work is actually possible, but just a total nightmare as far getting all the electronics to work without the other modules missing...GM makes some bad ass setups for stuff like this without the hassle or expense in the GM Performance catalog...BTW who the hell puts a 4.7/4.2 liter engine in a 69 Firebird? You need like a built 455 to move that much metal around...No replacement for displacement..lol....Jason

·
Registered
192 Posts
It would be pretty cool if you could pull it off, but you will probably have a 1000 more hrs involved just to get it wired and fired up, compared to a LS swap. But it will be unique so go for it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with Jason on displacement, but if this is what you want, a Fast system, or Megasquirt II / Megaspark, would be a good option. There is a company that makes ITB systems for Toyota V8's that looks adaptable to the F136 heads. Wicked looking on a Mas. motor. Of course with all that room in the Firebird, forced induction would be killer too...Ed

3,316 Posts
You still would need a transmission and that is gonna need a TCU and that TCU is gonna need an ABS module to get vehicle speed.. It just goes on and on...Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate your input. I am thinking about the uniqueness of this type of build. Everyone has an LS swap. I'm looking for the reliability and mileage fuel injection would add. The 69 Firebird is a little over 1000 lbs lighter than a QP, so the m139 would make bitchin power and lighten the front end by another 200+lbs. Now you see where this is going? However after talking to some Maserati dealers and mechanics they are telling me the clutch system in the f1 tranny is expensive and unreliable as well as the m139 have very expensive repair issues like timing chain. Though it would make a cool build I've realized The LS 3 or earlier LS6 is way more hp and reliable with a much tighter budget.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts