Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a simple question. I am trying to sell my 2003 Coupe GT. I just added a classified on this website:

http://www.maseratilife.com/classified/view.php?id=320

I went to add a listing at autotrader, but it turns out that they won't accept private party Maserati listings---you have to pay a bunch more for a listing on autotraderclassics, which seems like it would be less effective.

My question is: any suggestions on other avenues I should pursue? Any experience with trade-ins? Consignment listings? Straight sales to dealerships of exotics? Ebay? Craigslist? Cars & Coffee?

Just trying to find out if there are one or two methods that have proven successful for other members (or if there's something I am missing).

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,
Eric

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd buy it but I'm in school. Looks like a great car.

Maybe try to find ad places that won't have overly 'knowledgeable' buyers. A buyer who wants a Maserati! is probably best.

Ebay has plenty of cheap cars on it. Autotrader can be good but I don't know why you can't list in the regular version. The print edition might be a good way to get someone who isn't watching all the internet sites. Craigslist would be helpful.

You'll lose several thousand trading it in to a dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

Update: I added an ebay listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280279592602

I'll see how that goes and then I'll talk to my local dealer about consignment. Thanks for the compliments and good ideas.

Once I sell (knock on wood) I'll post some comments about what I thought worked and didn't (for future sellers).

Best,
Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good luck,

my 04 Coupe CC has 17,500 miles and I had a guy walk after offering $34k. The best trade in I could get was $25k. I am going to keep it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice car, great price too...

I am in a similar situation as you, except I am trying to get out of a Lotus, and into a Maserati!

I ran an ebay add and only ended up with 19 watchers, with 0 bids. My car too, is worth far more than I can get on trade, mine mostly because of the aftermarket cash I have tied up in it.

If my car gets sold before yours, you will be hearing from me=p

Oh and Hi, I am Clint, my first post here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good luck,

my 04 Coupe CC has 17,500 miles and I had a guy walk after offering $34k. The best trade in I could get was $25k. I am going to keep it and enjoy it.
You can do way better if you shop your car around to other dealers. Just for kicks, I was at a mercedes dealer less than a month ago and was offered $28k on trade for my 2002 Spyder CC with 38xxx miles on it. But then again, before the mercedes dealership I was at a Lexus dealership and they offered me $22k-$23k for it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You can do way better if you shop your car around to other dealers. Just for kicks, I was at a mercedes dealer less than a month ago and was offered $28k on trade for my 2002 Spyder CC with 38xxx miles on it. But then again, before the mercedes dealership I was at a Lexus dealership and they offered me $22k-$23k for it. :rolleyes:
What they pay for your car on a trade depends on how much they're going to sell their car to you for. What really matters is the difference, how much you're going to pay, right? If the dealer perceives that you are very concerned about how much they're going to pay for your car, then they will give you a few grands more, than add that same amount to the price of the car they're selling to you.

So trades don't count as market value.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. If this auction ends without a buyer, I'll check into cars.com & report back.

I'm selling this car b/c I'm thinning the stable a bit. I am going to sell this car and another and buy a new car to replace both (I hope). In part, I'm just trimming my lifestyle & in part I'm freeing up some cash to buy a house (we moved from one city to another at the peak and have been renting a house for a couple years). There's nothing wrong with the car. Part of my rationalization for buying the car was my guess that I could enjoy the coupe enough while renting that I wouldn't be tempted to buy a house. That definitely worked. And, even though the car has depreciated a bit, it's lost far less money than any house I would have bought.

PaulC: thanks for the kind wishes. I wouldn't sell for $25k either. I don't know why a few thousand dollars makes a difference, but at that price, I'd rather keep the car.

Clint: Thanks, good luck, and welcome to the boards.

I'll also do some thinking about working a trade-in. I do plan on buying another car. For now, I'd rather sell to an enthusiast than a dealer & I think relisting the car until it sells might be less hassle than running from dealer to dealer trying to get a good trade-in price

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trade in..

Keep in mind, that by trading in you save money via lowing your taxable purchase price.

Say your next car is 80,0000

And you trade your car for 25,000

You would be taxed on 55,000

at 7% you saved 1750 bucks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
remember the game on trades

it is either going to be "retail for retail or wholesale to wholesale" as my father in law would say whom sold cars for 20 years, if they give you retail for your trade in you are going to get stuck close to full retail sticker for the one you are buying; of course we all would love to get retail on our trades and wholesale on our buys!!!! Not likely.........dogdoc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts