Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove the coupe to work today, a friend of mine from our Frankfurt office wanted a ride before he headed back across the pond... So on the way home I am heading north bound on I-25 just north of Denver and I decide it's best if I go on up to the 136th street exit and then come back down Huron to the Shell Station; need that V-Power diet, and then to the car wash for a rinse an a vacuum and then on home as it's all in a line.. I am obviously an engineer... : - )

Anyway, as I get just north of I-25 and 120th Avenue a brand new shiny reddish orange SRT-8 Charger pulls up next to me at 70 mph and gives his engine a rev.... I hear him shift down a gear so I pull mine down two real quick and watch the tach hit the golden 5000 rpm and off we go.. Needless to say it was a little close through 4th gear, but 5th and 6th and I was pulling some major distance on him in a super hurry. I didn't take the time to look down at the speed, total focus on the road at that time, but she was pulling hard the entire time, and she was giving me that Tubi music big time!

So I pull over on the top of the off ramp on the 136th street exit and I-25 and the two guys in the charger pull up next to me... We roll down the windows and start laughing, they ask "What do you have in that thing?" I tell them its the stock Maserati/Ferrari 4200CC/250 Cubic Inch V8 that puts out about 400hp... They tell me there is no way that is possible as their charger is a 426 Hemi with Nitrous and that they could only hang with me for a little bit... I again explain to them that I have 250 cubic inches, only rev's to 8000 rpm and that it's a stock 2002 Maserati Coupe... They are in awe and swear I am running Nitrous or a turbo, so I get out and open the hood, show them it's the stock plumbing... Anyway, they open their hood and sure enough, Nitrous and the engine has been bored, all sorts of new chrome parts, etc.... The guy has 50k in his car, compared to my 40k...

So I ask him how much his car weighs, he says 4500 pounds, I smile at him and say that must be it..... My car doesn't weigh that much.. The guy tells me he has 620 Horsepower on the Dyno and he can't believe I was kicking up dust on him that bad.... I just laugh and say who knows, maybe someone chipped this or something as it's just the way I bought it...

Anyway, after a few more minutes of checking out the cars we go on our merry way... I was expecting a big run for my money again and received nothing... I know I have posted here before with these kinds of things and get complete doubt but I know where this guy lives and I know he is a major gear head like myself..

If the previous owner, who tracked my car all the time, had it chipped, how could I tell? I do know that it was Tubi all the way when I bought the car and that my car sits lower than the other Maserati's of the same year at the FOD dealer..

·
Registered
660 Posts
Great story, Mark. Soooo nice to have those moments...

TBH I think it's all about weight. That dude maybe added so much chrome in his machine that it's killed all the added power. Sure thing in a Dyno pull would show the goods, but once you get the mongrel running on its 4 wheels...

Of course, maybe your Maser was chipped, and that added to the picture. Interesting that the other guys weight penalty did not show at the start of the run... maybe because he had more pull than the Maser, but that died-off as soon as you got past 4th...

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Top End....

Ed, I am sure that Charger has more torque than I do, but I think I caught him in between his torque curve and horsepower curve, a flat spot.. From there my ability to rev, top end, was much better and therefore that with less weight let me pull away. I was just cruising at about 70 mph, 3000 rpm in 6th gear when it all started, then it was 4th gear, 5000 rpm+ and running like it was on fire... I was surprised how hard it pulled in 5th and 6th gear, no american car that I have ever owned gives you that feel at all at that speed...

I am going to check out the ECU and compare what's in the service manual with what I have as well as have the software revision checked out just to see. If it isn't chipped, I will add that to my bill at Formula Dynamics when I do the brakes, new wheels, and springs.. I know they have a killer chip for 93 octane and up. Since she is going up for the winter here in the next couple of weeks, it's almost time to place my order. I ordered new tail light bulbs, oil filter and copper washers today from Maserati of Dallas as their prices are cheaper than Ferrari of Denver and their customer service is just amazing...
Will do a full tune-up oil change, tranny oil change, all of it here in the next week or so for this coming spring.

I also found some really cool stuff at the vitaphone maserati racing team site...

http://www.vitaphone-racing.de/

Picked up a winter fleece, new rugby shirt which is very heavy and nice....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yep, think you're spot on. And by the looks you're gonna throw some $$$ into mods for the baby, sounds the ticket (bet you will want winter to go as fast as possible.)

Now, wouldn't it be better to wait for the fluid changes until winer is over..? How many miles you've put on since your last change..? She's gonna by roped indoors whilst the snow piles outside, so if you're not considering using the Maser anytime during winter, maybe better to wait for the lube change just before taking her out to the sun again.

Speaking of garments, this week I received my blue Maserati bomber jacket, which I bought through the dealer (and got free delivery...) from Maserati Collection. TBH, really good stuff... good build and looks, warm yet light, fits a treat, and is made in Italy (!) which is amazing in the times when all winter garments from top-brands are made in China, Singapur, you name it. I was expecting that sort of stuff with a Maserati badge, but nope.

Quality..!

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the previous owner, who tracked my car all the time, had it chipped, how could I tell? I do know that it was Tubi all the way when I bought the car and that my car sits lower than the other Maserati's of the same year at the FOD dealer..
The Formula Dynamics chip is new. So if the car was souped up in a proper way (ECU remapped), it was almost certainly done by Eurotek designs. They save the VIN #, so you could call them and ask.

Mine is souped up, and I have pulled on every car I ever raced. My problem is I chicken out over 100 mph because I am afraid of the consequences if busted.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going over 100 mph...

In regard to going over 100mph in your Maserati, let me say this... American cars get really light in the front over 100, kind of like an old Chris Craft Boat going down the lake and when you turn the boat leans over and then turns. The Maserati seems to handle better at speeds over 100mph than it does at speeds below, in regard to straight lines.... I have gone in excess of 155mph in my car a couple of times now, it's sturdy, stable and smooth....

I worry about the cops as well but when everyone else is already doing 90 mph in the left lane on a 6 lane interstate, 3 lanes each way, chances are you will be more than okay for a short burst...

So what is the fastest anyone has driver their Maserati? I have bumped the 158mph marker a couple of times.... What about the rest of the members here? I am sure the Formula Dynamics guys have pushed it way on up, considering they are out in the desert where you can open it up and not turn for a day or two...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hypothetically, I heard of a friend who may have taken it at around 160 MPH on a delsolate area of the freeway in a turn and experienced almost no body roll.

A bit of skid, but no reoll.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gransport vs. Vette

How would a stock '06 gransport do against a stock '04 corvette.....I would like opinions before I race my brother in law..:) thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
How would a stock '06 gransport do against a stock '04 corvette.....I would like opinions before I race my brother in law..:) thanks
Go from a rolling start. Work your rpm's to around 3,000 before stomping it and blowing his doors off.

Don't try to take him from a dead stop. . .it'll fry your clutch and he'll pull on you.

Just my take!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hypothetically, I heard of a friend who may have taken it at around 160 MPH on a delsolate area of the freeway in a turn and experienced almost no body roll.

A bit of skid, but no reoll.
Topped out (so far) at 165 here, on a LOOOOONG straight stretch of concrete highway...starting getting a bit loose, largely I think from some crosswinds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
4200 Spyder-
About 2 am last month on a long quiet road I reached 176mph on the speedo!

However on the GPS camera locator it said 165mph on the digital readout and I held it there for about 20 sec just to make sure it was giving a fairly accurate reading- which knowing that most cars the speedo is out by approx 10% seems about right + had i not had the wife in the car screaming at me to slow down It still had more to give!

So 165mph is the fastest I have ever been in fact!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed....

Ed, you are right, it's best to wait until spring, but once I have her up on stands, it sure is hard to resist getting the finger nails dirty... : - ) I will backing it out of the garage during the winter months every week for a trip around the block when the roads are dry, have to let the engine run and other parts get their lubrication...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts