Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As balsphmous as this may sound, and as much as I love my Maserati, I suffering from car schizophrenia.

On one hand I'm intoxicated by the 2008 Viper SRT-10 (600hp, with 590lbs or torque).

On the other I'm seducted by the the 2008 GranTourismo.

I honestly think the Viper will put a huge grin on my face everytime that I drive it, but the plastic interior, clastraphobic cockpit, will be the price to pay to play!

On the other hand, The GT will get the same oooh's and ahhas the viper will get, give me all the seductive comforts in the world, the gadgets etc.. but at the end of the day will cost 25k more than the viper and lack the thrill! But on the upside I can be comfortable in it!

What should i do? I'm just afraid that if I do one, I'll wish I would have done the other!!! please set me stright on this! BTW if anyone is looking for a flawless Spyder 2005 with vintage package with only 5.5K miles on it I've got it listed on ebay and cars.com! PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks folks! I love the class on this forum!

·
Registered
286 Posts
well looking at the total practicality of the GT vs the dodge. GT has 4 seats vs 2. it really comes down to how you are going to use the car. if you are going to do track days and mountain runs the viper would be a better choice. if you are going to use the car more as a DD then i think the GT would make for a better decision. only you can make the decision on what best suits you. good luck and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Funny...

I am in a similar quandry... I am looking at the GT and the QP to trade my Coupe in on... I need the extra room, want something I could drive in traffic a little more, more of a daily driver (Read ZF transmission) and I am at the point where being the quickest guy on the road isn't that big a deal anymore but I don't want to lose the sound of the Maserati, the looks and the comfort. I have not made up my mind yet, won't until the end of August.

In my opinion the Viper is great to race on the street or the local track but lacks the emotion/soul of the GT. Also, the viper doesn't sound like the GT either and there are tons of vipers on the road...

The GT or the QP both stir emotion, still can go 180mph, are not as quick as the viper, but top speed are right there and comfort wise are above and beyond the Viper.. So for me it would be the GT or the QP for sure... There's always someone with a faster car on the street, but not everyone with a classier, more comfortable car that performs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in a similar quandry... I am looking at the GT and the QP to trade my Coupe in on... I need the extra room, want something I could drive in traffic a little more, more of a daily driver (Read ZF transmission) and I am at the point where being the quickest guy on the road isn't that big a deal anymore but I don't want to lose the sound of the Maserati, the looks and the comfort. I have not made up my mind yet, won't until the end of August.

In my opinion the Viper is great to race on the street or the local track but lacks the emotion/soul of the GT. Also, the viper doesn't sound like the GT either and there are tons of vipers on the road...

The GT or the QP both stir emotion, still can go 180mph, are not as quick as the viper, but top speed are right there and comfort wise are above and beyond the Viper.. So for me it would be the GT or the QP for sure... There's always someone with a faster car on the street, but not everyone with a classier, more comfortable car that performs.
I agree with you on the class of the GT. But here it goes, I have, in my lifetiem only seen a handful of vipers on the road. In Charlotte, NC where I am, i've yet to see 1. I see vetts all the time, but no vipers. True the Viper is not as exclusive as the GT, but it doesn't lack in attention either!

As far as the sound and emotion.. My friend I've got to tell you, this post would not have even been written if it wasn't for the sound and grunt of the Viper. I for one could care less about speed! I mean if it was just speed, I would get a honda civic, twin super, quadrouple turbo charge it with nitrous and that obnoxious exhaust and launch into space for half the price.

I fell in love with the maserati because of the sound and emotion is sparked. On this day I will go on record to say the sound of a V10 8.4 litter side exahust beast trumps anything on the street or track. It litteraly blew my face off. That's why I'm in awe of the viper.

I mean to be real, the viper is garbage in terms of interior style, insperation, creature comfort.. I mean for christ sake it doesn't even come with traction control... How can they make a car without traction control in the 21st century? especially one that produces a skull numbing 600hp and close 600lbs or torque?

but much to my surprise it drives like a bmw sports car. The suspenssion is awsome, the stearing precise and on point, the shifting smooth and short, the clutch like butter! Its looks are intimidating and it appologises to no one.

IF we go on style alone the GT is the winner! it takes the best part of what makes a viper's look a viper's look, the intimidating front fenders, the mouth etc.. and combines them with the best features of an aston martin and bmw 6 series and creates a masterpiece.

But imagine, your current maserati, with an added 700lb of weight and thats how the GT feels (4321 lbs curb weight.. that's no joke). Its a 2door quatroporte with a cool exhaust note. Great DD, long distance, nice creature comforts. clearly something you can live with for 5 years vice the viper. damn wish I could have both!!

I have a voice in my head telling me to get the viper and wait a couple of years and pick up a used GT or GTS??? basically wait till the maser takes a depreciation bath, clearly the viper will too, but then I wouldn't feel so bad to finance such an expensive vehicle like the GT for the length of time where I would basically pay 30k more than its worth once you figure in the amount of interest it would accrue!

I guess what I'm getting at is that the looks of the GT make my heart jump, the interior puts a smile on my face, but the fun factor is not there like my current maser or the viper.

So in the end owning a Viper would mean compromising style, exclusivity to some degree, functionality and technology. Where as with the viper you gain performance, fun factor, reliability, the exlcusivity and style would be there too, but obviously not in the same degree as the GT.

decisions decisions......

·
Registered
478 Posts
Last week I posted about the Pocono concours and track day I was at - I walked away downright impressed by the Vipers there. Big-time enthusiasm, beautiful cars, fearsome speed and sounds, freaks on the track, and bigger balls than anything else. I thought "I could drive one of these." So I walked away with new respect for these cars.

But I saw Maserati envy from a few of these guys, this look of "who is this guy, what's this car, and how do I breathe rarified air like that?" I would hate for you to regret your decision, but that's why you posted this.

Have you spent much time in a Viper yet?

BTW, a family friend recently walked away from his new Viper wrapped around a tree after 2 days of ownership and no traction control. But he went out and bought another one!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I loved my Viper, but it is a very different car than the Maserati. For pure unadulterated fun the Viper would be my choice. But, for a great daily driver that is also a blast to drive, plus has a certain allure that the Viper does not have, you can't beat the Maserati. Plus the extra 2 seats are nice touch.

Just my 2 cents.

Eric

·
Registered
107 Posts
maybe you should get on the list for the granturismo s. that's what i did. i drive an M5, but love the granturismo. my fear was that it wasn't going to be as fun to drive, which i confirmed with 2 test drives. so i figured the s will be more comparable and fun to drive. but if you're going to do that, my dealer said maserati just told them they are only sending 250 s's to the states, and it's a 1 year production, so you should get on the list sooner than later. or buy used in the aftermarket i guess.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
But if the Viper...

Why not the new ZR-1 Vette? I don't care for vettes myself, but the reason you are buying the viper is pure speed and power.. The new ZR-1 will eat the viper for lunch, same price, better handling, more power, less weight, better ride....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Why not the new ZR-1 Vette? I don't care for vettes myself, but the reason you are buying the viper is pure speed and power.. The new ZR-1 will eat the viper for lunch, same price, better handling, more power, less weight, better ride....

ZR-1 or Z06? ZR-1 is not out yet, but will be significantly more expensive than the Viper.

Eric

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Price...

I thought the Z06-ZR1 would be around 100k. Isn't a viper the same price? I know in R&T they tested the new ZR-1 against the new Viper and the Vette was not only quicker, but also had a superior ride... They said they were similar in price.... I need to go back and see which issue that was...

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I was a member of the Viper club for many years. There is amazing enthusiasm for that car, the people are down to earth and the trips are a blast. If you're looking for a weekend driver only, the Viper may be it. It has many characteristics which make it impossible as a daily driver. It will overheat in traffic ( not the car, the passenger ) as it has significant design flaws there. It's exhaust is nice for an hour and obnoxious after that. Stop and go traffic is murder in that car, very stiff, long throw clutch,etc. Honestly the list goes on and on. But for weekends and to blast around like you own the place... the viper is a great place to be.

The GT is the BMW... not the viper. Much less substance from a performance standpoint, however you can drive it daily. Very comfortable, the wife will like it, the friends will like it, you'll like it... If you're a performance nut, you may not love it. It really is a beautiful car through.

Your current Maserati is a balance of all of these in my opinion. It's not the best in all of these areas however it does pretty well in all of them. If you want more performance we do have some solid mods available to get you where you want to be.... Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought the Z06-ZR1 would be around 100k. Isn't a viper the same price? I know in R&T they tested the new ZR-1 against the new Viper and the Vette was not only quicker, but also had a superior ride... They said they were similar in price.... I need to go back and see which issue that was...

The Z06 and ZR-1 are 2 different cars. The Z06 is now the performance bargain of the decade as they can be picked up for $10K under sticker. It has a little over 500HP and depending on who tests it runs neck and neck with the Viper, as it is lighter but has 100 less ponies. The ZR-1 is another beast, dealers are said to be asking $100K over sticker, but it offers a supercharged versoion of the 6.2 liter, not the 7.0 found in the Z06, but will be north of $100K to get into one.

Both should be great cars, but I'll keep my Maserati!!

Eric

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry but i dont even bother to read your thread.
werent you talking about getting a z06 real hard no less than a month ago?
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4297
M, my apologies if my previous threads have some how questioned any credibility (if i had one with you.) Yes I post about the Vette not to long ago after test driving it, and was pretty impressed by its performance.

In the end however, I chose to ignore it because it lacks the exlcusivity appeal that I enjoy with my Maserati and as a sports car I like to have a convertible.

To me the viper, after test driving it is even more of a thrill than the vette. I've also always admired the vipers styling and the new 2008 SRT-10 is even braunier than the previous versions. It drives fantastic. The Run flat tires have been replaced in the 2008 by PS2's, the suspension that was a flaw of the 2006 model has been redone and feels outstanding. To add to this, the steering felt like a BMW, it was perfectly stiff, precise and well connected to the road, unlike the Vette, who's steering felt loose. The viper also did a good job with the clutch (like butter smooth) and the shifting, short, fast and smooth.

At the end of the day I'm still conflicted between the viper and the GT, because in an ideal world, I want both, but can only have 1.

My current maser is a blast to drive, but it lacks a bit of theater, which I know some FD mods can fix. But I've found myself being anal with regards to shifting to save clutch on the maser. And in the end I think it will be annoying to have to switch out the clutch every 10-25k miles.

I'm just a car enthusiast at heart, and I certainly appreciate the wealth of information/knowlege everyone on this board provides. And if you actually took the time to read this semi reply, then I appreciate that too.

Cheers

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was a member of the Viper club for many years. There is amazing enthusiasm for that car, the people are down to earth and the trips are a blast. If you're looking for a weekend driver only, the Viper may be it. It has many characteristics which make it impossible as a daily driver. It will overheat in traffic ( not the car, the passenger ) as it has significant design flaws there. It's exhaust is nice for an hour and obnoxious after that. Stop and go traffic is murder in that car, very stiff, long throw clutch,etc. Honestly the list goes on and on. But for weekends and to blast around like you own the place... the viper is a great place to be.

The GT is the BMW... not the viper. Much less substance from a performance standpoint, however you can drive it daily. Very comfortable, the wife will like it, the friends will like it, you'll like it... If you're a performance nut, you may not love it. It really is a beautiful car through.

Your current Maserati is a balance of all of these in my opinion. It's not the best in all of these areas however it does pretty well in all of them. If you want more performance we do have some solid mods available to get you where you want to be.... Best of luck in your decision.
Jeff your analysis is right on point! The current Maser is a balance (jack of all these traits, master of none). And quite honestly at 390HP at a curb weight of 3800lbs and a dry sump engine gives it the soul that the GT lacks. some of my pieves about my Maser are as follows:
1.) loose suspension, too much body roll for a sports car.. if you compete head to head with the AM vantage, it looses in this department as well as the below
2.) Stock exhaust just doesn't do it justice
3.) The chasie is loose
4.) The jerky followed by the clanking of the clutch during shifting really wears on me.

I'm sure some of the above issues were more resolved with a GS, but unfortunately I dont have one :(..

Now I now you have plenty of mods that I can throw in and this is still in the back of my mind. Certainly would save me a ton of money from the bath my car would take to trade in.

With regards to your comparison of the GT to the BMW. This is spot on. I actually traded my BMW for the Maserati because of the thrill it provided, but I get a sense that I would be trading my Maser in for even a more expensive albit gorgious BMW with the new GT. The fact that the new GT is a wet sump vice dry sump engine takes away its soul a bit. at 405hp and 4320lbs curb weight it takes away the nimble feel my current maser has, but adds functionality of two back seats etc.. etc..

Of course the Viper will destroy anything performance wise on the street that hasn't been altered, but your completely right about the interior.

Damn it maserati, why did you have to go the BMW rout? :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you are worried about the clutch...

Check out the drive by wire from FD.. That should make it much easier to live with....

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Moose,

I know your pain. The truth is, it's a great problem to have. I have often suffered from this dillema in other cars. Some people just like variety and you can't help it. I honestly had this problem with the Maserati, but I really liked the heart of what it was and how it fit my life. In the end we endeavored to fix the problems you describe. I think we got them pretty well nailed down. Hhonestly, this was the goal. Now in contrast, I don't want to let the car go. Fairly soon this will have to happen as we need to free up some funds to start work on new cars. However part of the reason I keep developing for the 4200, is that it really responds well to the upgrades.

If those performance issues are all that bothers you, it can be fixed and you will save a bit of change. Maybe test drive a car with FD upgrades before you jump in.

However if there's more to it and you really need something different and you're in the position to do it... go for it.

I will say this... the viper, vette, they grow old quickly as well. They have their own problems in design and failures. You will miss the exclusivity and class of the Maser. I would definitely choose the Viper over the Vette given the option. They are both great, the vette may even be better, but it lacks the soul of the Viper and the amazing support of the viper community.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.