Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks - I normally don't ask for help too too often but could use it....

Had my 2016 new since dealer.....never have had a major issue (other than TPMS and such).

So yesterday while driving after 5 years got the dreaded check engine light on.....

Figured would check the gas cap trick....hasn't seemed to fix the light (yet at least).
Restarted 10 times over 2 hours....hasn't seemed to fix the light (yet at least)

So I pull out my handy dandy scan tool (MaxAP AP200) - thank you forum. (I believe downloaded all the apps and guides correctly after install - I selected GranTurismo Convertible as no other real close option)

It appears as though I am getting this fault:

P2189 = LH Main bearing mixture adding ratio self-teaching (mixture too lean)-S.C. VBAT - over Max threshold

I mean is that a gas cap issue? Something more serious? Should I wait on the gas cap tighten trick and see if it goes away?

Rectangle Grey Font Screenshot Parallel
Rectangle Grey Font Screenshot Parallel

· Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zero work done. Last fall 2021 did oil change and only 3,000 miles since then.
I will drive it around a bit with the gas cap recently tightened (it was NOT loose BTW, but I know it can be a common issue so I took it off and rechecked it anyways.)

I will keep driving it....I just didn't know if that error was familiar to anyone.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason,
I always remember your phrase "that's like trying to give a haircut over the internet" when trying to diagnose a problem remotely...so I am careful to ask....hahahah, but three quick questions:

Since I do not know what a "vacuum leak" is...(I have zero automotive technical skill)
#1 Is it safe to continue driving for a while?
#2 Since I have no local Maserati dealer within 3 hours (I just got to a local independent) - would they be able to figure it out?
#3 How bad ($$$$) is a "vacuum leak" ?

· Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Jason I am gonna push my luck with the "haircut over the internet" comment.....

Can you please answer the three questions I posted above?

Well at least #1 & #3

· Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK soooooooo update......Last week Check engine light came on....did the Gas cap cover tighten trick....scan tool....light was still on ect.... well I drive for a few days +/- 200 miles and POOF - light is OFF.....so was it the gas cap issue? No idea but heck I will take it....for the life of me I have never changed how I put a gas cap on Hahahha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts