Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imho...............

the BEST engine oil out there for our Masers is AGIP, full synthetic, 5W-40. Now, that said, I also understand that there is VERY LITTLE difference in other high end engine oils when compared to each other. I just like AGIP because it was the recommended oil for Ferrari and Maserati for many years, well before oil companies started to "out bid" each other for "sponsorship" rights to high end cars and their race teams. So, these days, I just figure that the high end oil "recommended" for these cars is due to MONEY and not necessarily PERFORMANCE.:)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 in all my cars but I recently met a longtime Porsche enthusiast who swears by AMSOIL. Anyone here have any knowledge or experience with this brand?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 in all my cars but I recently met a longtime Porsche enthusiast who swears by AMSOIL. Anyone here have any knowledge or experience with this brand?
Don't know about it myself, but I get work done on my Maserati by an independent who specializes in Porsches, and he recommends AMSOIL for my car based on his experience with it on the Porsches.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
660 Posts
I used it exclusively in my 911 (996 version). No issues

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
---I also understand that there is VERY LITTLE difference in other high end engine oils when compared to each other.
Huge mistake to believe in this! Don't kid yourselves.

One reason why Redline is so respected is that they specifically do not promote the common place beliefs about oil.

Rest assured that a smaller, dedicated creator will provide greater results.

Remember also that when a manufacturer specifies an oil it is to a major extent based upon a choice that has been based upon the deals that oil company makes with that manufacturer.

Don't think that your best interest is in that manufacturer's consideration.

Shell donates huge $'s to Ferrari's F1 program and the oil is junk! Ferrari specifies Shell! DAH! Wonder why.

Ask yourself why you did purchase a Maserati over a Chevy?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Mobil 1 does NOT make a 5w40. Correct?? If correct, it isn't an option for my car...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Mobil 1

Mobil 1 does NOT make a 5w40. Correct?? If correct, it isn't an option for my car...
Mobil 1 makes a 0W-40 full synthetic which is rated as high as all other oils on the planet.. I run it all the time... If your engine goes while using Mobil 1, they will buy you a new engine...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I understand why you are saying that...

All due respect to Dr. Haas, those are his opinions, and, therefore, I will stick with Redline.

It has proven to me its superior characteristics both for engine and for transmission lubrication.
You might notice Redline was mentioned as being run straight out of the can by several F1 teams...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Some confusion here?......

:confused:GCalo: I don't understand where you said that I am mistaken about believing that there is very little difference between the high-end engine oils. What I am saying, and truly believe, is that the COMPOSITION of these oils varies only SLIGHTLY from one to another. If you disagree with that, then we will agee to disagree. I completely agree with you when you said that $$ controls which brands tout which oils; if you re-read my thread that's exactly what I way saying!

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy Redline and I will continue to use AGIP.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---What I am saying, and truly believe, is that the COMPOSITION of these oils varies only SLIGHTLY from one to another.
The composition may vary slightly but I am saying that in practice there is a considerable functional difference in these oils.

It's the functional difference that is important to me.

Dr. Haas is a very bright and competent person. No argument there. He is, however, a plastic surgeon, and he may be making his assessments (from my perspective) on purely chemical parameters.

I have used different oils for years. Redline does what I had expected the others to have done. That's the "functional" portion. It's where the rubber meets the road for me, because I don't buy "claims" especially from major companies who are more concerned with their bottom lines than the quality of their products.

Chemical parameters are of little importance to me wherein I am looking for functional results.

This is where the oils differ greatly for me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Anything wrong with using Castrol's synthetic 5w40? That's what I just put in when I did my QPs first oil change. The dealer said it wasn't what FMNA specifies but that (off the record) it was going to be [basically the same shchtuff]...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just changed my oil today on my QP DuoSelect, used Mobile 1 0W-40, i can clearly feel a differance, engine feels much more free reving and relaxed. Less engine noise too.

Off topic though, do any of you QP owners know what the dip stick is supposed to look like? is is straight or very lose? i feel mine has been stretched out and is too long. Also, would there be any lights or warnings too look out for if oil is too low or too high?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts