Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

As I was thinking about modifying my 2004 Coupe to tame its exhaust note, car must have felt threatened and welcomed me this morning with an oil leak.

I could not see anything from the top and when I got under I spotted a few drops in the area right below the oil filter. The oil pan is otherwise dry but the perforated shield underneath appears mostly wet with oil.

From what I could see both from the top and then from bottom, the valve covers are generally dry (there are a couple of dark spots but nothing I could trace all the way down).

Incidentally, I had already planned to bring the car in for an oil change and I wanted to do the valve cover gasket (it came up as a “to do in the near future” kind of thing during the PPI) so I will let the mechanic address this. However, I am curious to know if people have any insight based on my photos.

Thanks!

the shaft that you see in the image is the passenger side steering rack.
Coil Gas Electrical wiring Cable Auto part

Closeup of the cowling from above image to better show the

Automotive tire Musical instrument Auto part Gas Sports equipment

·
Registered
Maserati Granturismo
90 Posts
If you can't get someone to check it out, clean the engine with a proper degreaser.
Identify if it's a warm, hot or cold leak.

Once the engine is clean, you should be able to see a trickle as to where it's coming from.

Oil leaks are only a serious (short term) problem if they drop all the oil at once. As long as you keep the level up it won't cause an issue, however this is not what I advise to do. Eventually the leak will become a bigger leak and away you go.

There is the rear main seal at the back of the engine between the transmission and the crank case.

If you can, get it to someone in person asap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can't get someone to check it out, clean the engine with a proper degreaser.
Identify if it's a warm, hot or cold leak.

Once the engine is clean, you should be able to see a trickle as to where it's coming from.

Oil leaks are only a serious (short term) problem if they drop all the oil at once. As long as you keep the level up it won't cause an issue, however this is not what I advise to do. Eventually the leak will become a bigger leak and away you go.

There is the rear main seal at the back of the engine between the transmission and the crank case.

If you can, get it to someone in person asap.
Thank you for your sound advice.
I have been monitoring it and with the car parked it did not drip more oil on the ground in a week. However, I found new drops in the areas under the engine that I had wiped last week.

Unfortunately, I can’t get good access to better diagnose myself (a quickjack would be nice!).
I have an appointment with the mechanic in two weeks. I will probably take it for a short spin tomorrow and next week but I don’t need to drive it so I think this should be manageable.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check the back of your valve covers to see if they are weeping. Had drips in the exact same spot. It just happened to be where the oil gathered to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the back of your valve covers to see if they are weeping. Had drips in the exact same spot. It just happened to be where the oil gathered to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I saw a bit of wetness at the back of the valve covers but it seemed to be on the dry side. However, I could not get a good visual neither from the top or the bottom.

Anyway I “hope” it is the valve covers as I was already told during the PPI that I had to do them soon and I had already internalized the upcoming expense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts