Maserati Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Congratulations on solving your dilemma. For the future, sometimes it's time for the BIG TOOLS. There is a set of channel lock pliers that will open wide enough to grasp the old filter & twist it off. It is a Big Tool. Does take someone strong enough to apply the required torque if an idiot over-tightened.

BTW, it's not uncommon for the diff oil coming out looking really bad. I use Red Line products for the replacement.

Glad you refreshed a great car. You won't be sorry.

KTBD

·
Registered
508 Posts
the gear oil definitely appreciates being replaced on time/mileage.
oil filter pliers typically dent up the filter really well when removing a tight filter, but the indents just make for better grip. can't really turn it too hard until it dents, in reality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I decided to try and change my oil for the first time since I bought my 2008 GT recently. After reading your post, I thought I had better try and loosen the filter before draining the oil. First problem was that I didn't have an oil filter wrench big enough. After I bought one at the store, I still could not get the oil filter to turn. This wrench is designed like a large set of pliers, so I think I will try the one that fits over the end of the filter next. I'm not looking forward to this struggle. Any advice before I damage it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well done. My measurement system is hand twist tight... Never had a problem. I have had to do the screwdriver special before. So bad it ripped the filter in half!! Good times...beer required!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I decided to try and change my oil for the first time since I bought my 2008 GT recently. After reading your post, I thought I had better try and loosen the filter before draining the oil. First problem was that I didn't have an oil filter wrench big enough. After I bought one at the store, I still could not get the oil filter to turn. This wrench is designed like a large set of pliers, so I think I will try the one that fits over the end of the filter next. I'm not looking forward to this struggle. Any advice before I damage it?
BEER!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You might want to remove the rubber boot (three screws) that covers most of the filter. With the boot removed, you'll have more room to grab the filter with whatever tool you're using - especially gripping close to the filter's base, which should make it easier to remove. Cheers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You might want to remove the rubber boot (three screws) that covers most of the filter. With the boot removed, you'll have more room to grab the filter with whatever tool you're using - especially gripping close to the filter's base, which should make it easier to remove. Cheers.
Thanks. I saw that piece and was thinking I should remove it before I attempt to use the filter cap tool. I have looked up a few other oil filter removal tools if that one does not work. I'll post pics when I attempt next weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks. I saw that piece and was thinking I should remove it before I attempt to use the filter cap tool. I have looked up a few other oil filter removal tools if that one does not work. I'll post pics when I attempt next weekend.
The filter cap wrench fits right on the top of the filter so you won't need to remove the boot to use that. If the cap wrench doesn't work, then you may need to get aggressive. My initial effort was the cap wrench and I managed to mangle it (the 3/8 drive slot stripped out). Hope your filter isn't that tight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
REALLY big channel lock type pliers did mine.
This is always a good easy way to do it...as long as there is room to get them in there! I have my '11 GT C parked for the long Canadian winter now, but will be servicing it in the spring. Thinking of attempting it myself. At least the oil change anyway. Car only has 20k km on it.
I did all the maintenance on my '01 Viper with no issues, but that's a completely different car.... I used the hand tight plus 3/4 turn on it doing oil filters and never had any issues.

2,966 Posts
A Maserati has a spin on oil filter just like a ton of other cars...Occasionally, you'll work behind a dumbass that thinks the things needs to be tightened like hell, just like any other car...It is not a huge problem and I simply unscrew a bunch of them weekly without drama...Lucky, for these cars most all the filters are OE so the canister is of a thick metal..That makes it easier when you have to go to level 2 on stuff. Jason

·
Registered
56 Posts
As a follow-up, I bought this oil filter removal tool on Amazon as it was highly rated. It only has the 3/8" inch drive for this size, but I used a 1/2" drive ratchet and adapter for more leverage. The oil filter was really stuck on there, but this thing put a death grip on the filter and I was able to get it off.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts