Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, I'm fairly new here having acquired a 2012 GT convertible (two owners and 35,000 miles) several months ago. Since most CarFax reports don't give details on what exactly was done when the vehicle was "serviced" (and many dealers can't be bothered to give you detailed information), it seems the best solution is to do a major service. Having the right tools and some understanding about vehicle maintenance, I took it on.

Differential gear oil was black as coal and smelled burnt. Brake fluid was dark amber - I don't think it had ever been changed. Power steering fluid appeared stale. Belts were cracked and ready to blow. Engine air and cabin filters were filthy. Etc. etc. The engine oil appeared to have been recently changed, however. Yay!

Ok, this is where I vent.

Apparently The Hulk put on the oil filter. Apparently The Hulk couldn't read and see the oil filter specifically notes 30Nm torque. Apparently The Hulk thought the best thing to do was to screw the oil filter on REAL TIGHT. Perhaps the previous owner(s) learned the oil filter wouldn't come off so changed only the oil.

Enter new owner.

I started off with the cap wrench from Ricambi, then a metal strap wrench (properly lined with 80 grit sandpaper), then a chain strap wrench, then the tried & true screwdriver through the canister approach; finally a hammer & chisel alternating with a strap wrench on a breaker bar. Lots of Goo Gone and WD40 in the process. 3 days later, it's off. Thankfully a few errant chisel hits didn't do any serious damage. And not much blood was spilled. Pics attached.

I apologize for spewing about this, had to get it off my chest. Some people should never be allowed to touch a tool.

Cheers to everyone here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Unbelievable how anyone - the PO(s) - could neglect to properly service a car this superb, and when ( and if ) any maintenance iwas done on it , some imbecile treats it like it’s a rusted old tractor !

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had a few stuck oil filters on other cars in the past, but that sounds like a different level. It is scary when you resort to the screwdriver through the oil filter. If it doesn't come off, you know you are not driving it to the garage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had a few stuck oil filters on other cars in the past, but that sounds like a different level. It is scary when you resort to the screwdriver through the oil filter. If it doesn't come off, you know you are not driving it to the garage.
Absolutely was my concern, that's why I took it in increasingly serious steps. Once commited to punching the screwdriver, no turning back - that #^%&* thing IS coming off. The one remaining step was to apply some heat. That'll get it off (and my head too).

·
Registered
508 Posts
i will say, 30nm is a shitload for an oil filter.
when i last changed the oil on my bike, i actually went with torque spec on the filter instead of the ole gasket contact + 3/4 to 1 turn.... the following oil change... had to put a screw driver through the filter to get it off, definitely became tighter than the 17nm i torqued it to.
i think that's just what happens to spin on filters.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Out of curiosity, how does 30nm compare to "touch gasket plus 1 turn"? Must be considerably more.

Last car that I did my own oil changes on was a 308 Ferrari. I smeared on as much oil on the gasket as possible, plus coated the mating surface. If you haven't seen one, the filter is mounted on top of the engine, facing down. So you can put a lot of oil on the mating surface without it running off. After contacting the gasket, I wasn't able to quite get to a full turn just using my hands. More like 7/8 turn. Removing it involved a reasonable tug with a strap wrench. Wondering what that would measure out to using a torque wrench.

Hans.

·
Registered
508 Posts
30nm vs hand tight.... i can't quite qualify/quantify one against the other. when you hand tight the hell out of the filter with clean hands or gloves and a clean, oil free filter can for good grip... you ought to be able to take it off by hand as well. 30nm torqued filter... you'll never crack that thing off by hand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think Maserati or Ferrari pulled the 30Nm torque out of the air. Having said that, time-in-service relative to torque must play a factor. The hot then cold engine dynamic over time could create an oil filter gasket bond tighter than original torque specs if service timing is not done as required. No scientist here, just trying to understand why.

2,966 Posts
Probably over thinking the installation of an oil filter on a car engine...In 30 years I have never used a torque wrench to install a filter or seen another tech. do it...It is not that hard...Cars leaking from the oil filter are not a real issue these days....The oil filter O-ring probably swells slightly from being exposed to petroleum products..Jason

·
Registered
483 Posts
Out of curiosity, how does 30nm compare to "touch gasket plus 1 turn"? Must be considerably more.

Last car that I did my own oil changes on was a 308 Ferrari. I smeared on as much oil on the gasket as possible, plus coated the mating surface. If you haven't seen one, the filter is mounted on top of the engine, facing down. So you can put a lot of oil on the mating surface without it running off. After contacting the gasket, I wasn't able to quite get to a full turn just using my hands. More like 7/8 turn. Removing it involved a reasonable tug with a strap wrench. Wondering what that would measure out to using a torque wrench.

Hans.
My F355 has a top mounted oil filter as well. I have always just dabbed a lil oil on the gasket and hand tightened as well. Never once has the filter leaked!!! Do the same on my GT, no prob... (y)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like you, the only time I’ve had a problem getting a filter off,
is on a car I bought used. You just don’t know what Someone has done, or how long ago.
Not very exotic, but I had a Chevy van with a stuck filter, that I had to stick a screwdriver thru. Twisted off the whole body of the filter, leaving just the base screwed to the engine. That brought out the cold chisel and hammer that finished the job.
Btw I love that deep metallic blue!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oceano Metalic. At the end of the day, with all the good commentary, it's the beauty of these remarkable vehicles that grabs. Yeah.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not going to deny the beauty. For me it's the driving experience. Done many multi thousand mile trips. Can't fathom doing it in another car.

Hans.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts