Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain in laymans terms, what it is about our cars which prevent a quick change oil place, or ourselves to change our own oil?

TIA

·
Registered
312 Posts
For a QP: Special oil that won't be in stock, dry sump, must drain oil from two places and quick change places are really incompentent to start with; forget to refill, leave plugs loose or put them in wrong and screw up threads.
I have had my oil changed at a quality foreign car shop - 160 dollars, did a good job.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dry Sump--that was what I was thinking about..

So, I just did a little research on wet sump vs Dry sump...

so is there a difference in changing oil between a Dry sump / wet sump vehicle?

I have purchased my own Agip oil, ..however, I think others have had very good luck using Mobil 1, so the oil availabilty comment does not seem critical....

I am just wondering as I think if I could do it myself, or have someone closer to me do it, I would tend to change the oil more often...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think you can do it easily.

Demoe:

My buddy is a certified mechanic and has worked on many expensive cars. He has told me many times not to pay the dealership for an oil change, as he can do it for half the price.

The reason our oil changes cost so much is due to the two plus labor hours at 125.00 per hour. I can get the oil from my local VW dealer and a filter from the dealership. Total parts are only $75- 85.00.

Apparently, it takes a little time to remove the bottom cover and access the filter, etc.

My service guy told me I should change my oil between 3,000 - 6,000 miles depending on how hard I drive. I do not beat my car up so I plan on changing my oil every 6,000 miles.

I would not take our cars to a jiffy lube or cheap place like that, but I would let an experienced foreign car mechanic change the oil between major services.

I do not mind paying for the maintenance. I just like to get some value for my money. I will let you know how I make out.. I have about 4 - 5 months until the oil change.

Good luck. CM

·
Registered
909 Posts
There are a few other upsides to doing your service at a dealership which haven't been mentioned..

Some of these may just apply to my store though..

For new car customers - we pick up the customers car, do the service, drop it off. No extra charge. Free Maser loaner if needed.

Competent technician servicing the car, who also does a quick road test during every service. They will know better than anyone else if there are any other minor issues creeping up, while they are still minor. Little sounds, or hesitations, or even visual things that an owner may not notice (or see if its under the car). They know the car inside and out, since it was new. They will also know any other minor little issues, similar to stuff that we find here on the forums, and will know to tell you whether you need to have something else checked out or not.

my $.02

- Mark

·
Registered
835 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
For new car customers - we pick up the customers car, do the service, drop it off. No extra charge. Free Maser loaner if needed.
Please come pick up my car!

maserati of minneapolis said:
Competent technician servicing the car, who also does a quick road test during every service. They will know better than anyone else if there are any other minor issues creeping up, while they are still minor. Little sounds, or hesitations, or even visual things that an owner may not notice (or see if its under the car). They know the car inside and out, since it was new. They will also know any other minor little issues, similar to stuff that we find here on the forums, and will know to tell you whether you need to have something else checked out or not.
not all dealerships takes care of their customers like you guys do. Any chace openning a dealership here in LA?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info...

I second having Maser of Minneapolis do a hostile takever of our CAL dealerships...

I need to have a friend follow me to the dealer on a Sunday, drop off my Benz, then on Monday mornings, driver the Rati to my dealer and take the Benz home.....vice versa when the car is done......

the dealer does offer me a ride on Monday morning to the bus stop or train depot.

If you saw the characters hanging out in front of the dealer on a Sunday afternoon, you would not leave your baby out there by herself....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts