Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 2008 quatroporte and was told to change the oil every 3000 miles. I bought a granturismo in June and my dealer first said to change the oil every year or 12,000 miles.
Then when I brought the car in with a flat suggested that I do a 6000 mile service which included the oil change.

Does anyone know what the car really needs?

The owners manual says every 12,000 miles or one year.

I want to do what is best for the car, but don't want to waste money either.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Do what the owners manual says... Use the correct oil and you'll be fine.. Hey I chance mine once a season, no matter what and I am only putting about 3k miles a year on mine... So once a year or every 12k miles should be fine.

My brother has a 2008 quatroporte and was told to change the oil every 3000 miles. I bought a granturismo in June and my dealer first said to change the oil every year or 12,000 miles.
Then when I brought the car in with a flat suggested that I do a 6000 mile service which included the oil change.

Does anyone know what the car really needs?

The owners manual says every 12,000 miles or one year.

I want to do what is best for the car, but don't want to waste money either.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Oil changes are the least expensive but most effective means by which you can care for a vehicle.

I think it is suicide to leave any oil in an engine (synthetic or otherwise)longer than 5K-6K miles depite what a manufacturer says.

Standard oil vehicles I change every 3.5K.

Ferrari once a year minimum or every 4K miles.

530i BMW every 5K - 6K miles. BMW service light came on for an oil change first time at 19K miles. I had already changed the oil 2X's by then.

Do it frequently and you'll suffer no engine issues.

I sold an 84 7 series BMW with 265K miles. Changed oil every 3.5K miles. At sale time it did not leak or use a drop of any fluids especially oil!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Car care is not an accident and oil changes are the best method to prevent long term damage.

Oil degrades quickly and frequent changes are important.
Filters are very important as well... Ford did a study a few years back and found that the average oil filter was clogged after 1100 miles of running at which time the by-pass valve in the filter was wide open...

That's why the Ferrari F1 teams changes the oil and filter after every practice run, plus they take the filter over to Shell for oil analysis after each run as well to see how the engine is holding up and which if any parts are wearing...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My emphasis of frequent oil changes would be w/o value if the filters were not simultaneously changed as well.

I would never recommend changing oil w/o a change of filter.
Exactly, I wasn't thinking you were recommending not doing the filter.. I was just saying because of the filter you need to do the frequent oil changes, plus the oil itself. I agree that LOF is the cheapest thing you can do to keep a car/truck in great condition for it's life.. I had a 1994 Toyota Deluxe 4X4 pickup which I changed the oil on every 7500 miles with Mobil 1 and a K & N Filter. I just got rid of that truck a year ago, it had 400k miles on it... When I registered it at the Toyota website they sent me one of their Formula 1 team jackets just because my truck had crossed the 400k mile limit without any problems... I traded it in on a Toyota 4 Runner, my currently daily driver which now has 140k on it, same oil change scheme... I have been doing the Dr. Haas recommended routine and have had good luck so far.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes...

Full Synthetic is fine for 5 to 6k changes... As long as you aren't racing the car or putting unecessary loads/demands on the oil.

·
Registered
793 Posts
What oil filter may I use?
Use ONLY the OEM Manufacturer's filter.

Don't take a chance on anything else!

Make sure you get the correct torque value for the filter and torque it to that value.

These engines run at high oil pressures and you don't want a $20K engine overhaul for an improperly done oil change!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Use ONLY the OEM Manufacturer's filter.

Don't take a chance on anything else!

Make sure you get the correct torque value for the filter and torque it to that value.

These engines run at high oil pressures and you don't want a $20K engine overhaul for an improperly done oil change!
Easy way to do all of this is to call Jeff @ Formula Dynamics and get the oil change kit, it comes with the copper washers, the filter, the oil, all of it..

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
703 Posts
All good stuff guys.

In all the German cars I've owned/own, I've only used Mobile 1 European Formula and change it once a year as I don't put that much miles on any of my cars (10k/yr is the max on the mom/kid mobile). If I'm taking a road trip at the end of an oil cycle, I may throw an extra in.

The first oil change I did on the Maserati I decided to go with some recommendations from this board (GCalo - were you one of them ?) and went with Redline. Never used it before. Although I know roughly "when" the last oil change was done before I bought her, I didn't know "what" had been used.

I can say that after that oil change (w/ the Redline) the gauge was more accurate/responsive which I believe is attributed to better flow. You tell me if it's the Redline or simply having new/fresh oil ?

Now, once warmed up, although always pegged under load (70+), I have noticed that under very light load or coasting, the pressure can drop down to the 1/2 way mark between 35 and 70. Under no load, when fully warmed up, she rests at 35. Obviously, when cold or in warm up, she's always pegged at 70.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Easy way to do all of this is to call Jeff @ Formula Dynamics and get the oil change kit, it comes with the copper washers, the filter, the oil, all of it..
Great suggestion.

Get the filter wrench as well so you can remove/install/properly torque.

Ramp,

Yes I recommended Redline. It is fantastic. I would recommend changing your oil again in a few thousand miles even though it sounds crazy. The Redline gets a bit contaminated with the remainder of your last oil. Flushing it soon rids that contamination and allows the Redline to work better.

I notice that not only is the oil pressure on my 360 more stable but the engine temp is down a slight bit as well.

It is terrific oil. Should do the same with the transmissions and use 75W90NS (verify that weight for the Maserati's but I believe it's the same as Ferrari). It will shift a world better.

Add 4 oz of Redline Friction Modifer to the tranny oil change first upon refill and that will help the slip clutches as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.