Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
To me...........

it's mileage or time. In my case, I drive my 203 Coupe CC very little, but change the oil and filter at EVERY 12 month interval. At last change, I had only logged about 800 miles. BTW, I use the OEM filter and AGIP 5-40 full synthetic engine oil. I supply the filter and oil to a mechanic friend and he charges me 1/2 hour labor ($45) to do the work.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
it's mileage or time. In my case, I drive my 203 Coupe CC very little, but change the oil and filter at EVERY 12 month interval. At last change, I had only logged about 800 miles. BTW, I use the OEM filter and AGIP 5-40 full synthetic engine oil. I supply the filter and oil to a mechanic friend and he charges me 1/2 hour labor ($45) to do the work.
I change mine once a year no matter what, and I also change every 7500 miles no matter what... I go with Jeff's Oil Change kit from Formula Dynamics, it has all the parts, the Ferrari Recommended Q 5-40 oil and the correct filter all packed in a nice neat little kit. I saved a couple hours of time hunting down the oil and filter this year, just received my box in the mail and will have a little therapy time this weekend under my car. Plus Jeff was nice enough to order me the Larini Cat By Pass and X pipe which I will get her e in a few weeks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Change your oil every year regardless of mileage. That is an interval to live by. The new cars to get around EPA laws stretch the mileage between intervals. I have seen cars get new engines because of this. Stick with what is proven. Change your oil once a year regardless of mileage or every 5000 miles. 3000 for non synthetic.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just an added note: I just had an oil change and there was a noticeable difference in the way the engine sounded (for the better). My mechanic tells me these cars love an oil change and sometimes unusual noises go away afterwards.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oil Change kit?

I change mine once a year no matter what, and I also change every 7500 miles no matter what... I go with Jeff's Oil Change kit from Formula Dynamics, it has all the parts, the Ferrari Recommended Q 5-40 oil and the correct filter all packed in a nice neat little kit. I saved a couple hours of time hunting down the oil and filter this year, just received my box in the mail and will have a little therapy time this weekend under my car. Plus Jeff was nice enough to order me the Larini Cat By Pass and X pipe which I will get her e in a few weeks.
I don't see the oil change kit on the FD web site. How much does he charge?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oil is Oil??.............

:confused:I've had this "discussion" in the past with other Maserati owners on this Forum, but I like to use AGIP engine oil in my 2003 Maserati (5-40 full synthetic). That's the oil it came with from the factory and the oil that Maserati recommended on the engine compartment sticker. Yes, I know that Ferrari now recommends Q (which is actually Quaker State, a wholly-owned company of Shell). Shell puts up the big bucks for Ferrari racing teams and Ferrari in turn "recommends" the Shell oil -- I get all that. But me, I'll stick with AGIP, just like many of you like Redline.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
:confused:I've had this "discussion" in the past with other Maserati owners on this Forum, but I like to use AGIP engine oil in my 2003 Maserati (5-40 full synthetic). That's the oil it came with from the factory and the oil that Maserati recommended on the engine compartment sticker. Yes, I know that Ferrari now recommends Q (which is actually Quaker State, a wholly-owned company of Shell). Shell puts up the big bucks for Ferrari racing teams and Ferrari in turn "recommends" the Shell oil -- I get all that. But me, I'll stick with AGIP, just like many of you like Redline.
Correction, Maserati used to ship them from the factory with AGIP but since 2004 they have left the factory with Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40 from what I have been told.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You could be correct.......

GrndLkNatv:

You could be correct about 2004 Maser and newer models (engines) coming from Modena (via Maranello) with Shell Helix engine oil. Mine is a 2003 model and it clearly has an engine compartment sticker that says that Maserati recommends AGIP 5-40 synthetic motor oil. Don't know what the newer years' stickers say or even if newer years have stickers. Maybe someone could answer that question who has a 2004 or newer model. I would like to know.......

·
Registered
228 Posts
AGIP Purchase..............

Doron:

I purchased the AGIP 5-40 Full Synthetic in June, 2008 directly from American AGIP as my FM dealership no longer stocks it. American AGIP Co. Inc. is located at 539 Marwood Road, Cabot, PA 16023. Telephone # (800) 922-9243 or (724) 352-4451. I called them direct and they were VERY accomodating. I was transferred to a Salesperson and he took my order over the phone, along with my credit card number. I ordered two (2) cases of the 5-40 Full Synthetic (12 Euro bottles [US 1 qt.]) to a case. He gave me a GREAT price of only $5.00 a quart (total $120.00). However, the shipping to my So. Cal. home was an additional $81.50 so the whole deal was not that inexpensive; but I got what I wanted.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
GrndLkNatv:

You could be correct about 2004 Maser and newer models (engines) coming from Modena (via Maranello) with Shell Helix engine oil. Mine is a 2003 model and it clearly has an engine compartment sticker that says that Maserati recommends AGIP 5-40 synthetic motor oil. Don't know what the newer years' stickers say or even if newer years have stickers. Maybe someone could answer that question who has a 2004 or newer model. I would like to know.......

To double verify I have sent emails to T Romano and S. Ferrari at Maserati to ask what oil is in the car when it ships to the dealers, AGIP or Shell.. When and If I get a response I will post it here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have put AGIP in Maserati's for a long time and I do not see the benefit of oil to justify the trouble of finding and the cost of shipping it. When we had a car with a lifter noise in it the factory rep said to put mobil 1 15w50 in it. I have seen many people use Mobil 1 with no ill effects. Save the time and trouble and buy Mobil 1 or Castrol. Shell is also good. This is stuff you can find on the shelf of any good parts store or even Walmart.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, I know.....

;)BugattiTech:

You are very correct in that there is very little difference in most of the high end synthetic motor oils. I personally use AGIP because I like the ambiance of Italian oil in the Italian car. Just my preference and I certainly understand your preferences and the preferences of others posting here. To me, the expense of the oil and the shipping was more than worthwhile for me to "get what I want".

1 - 20 of 42 Posts