Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in between service intervals so want to get an oil change. I have oil & filter specified for vehicle since considered taking it somewhere else. Local dealer said JUST to change oil and filter, using my oil & filter, will be 3 hours of work thus $350-$400. He specifically said this does NOT include checking other fluids, etc. 3 hours for an oil change? Does that sound right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am in between service intervals so want to get an oil change. I have oil & filter specified for vehicle since considered taking it somewhere else. Local dealer said JUST to change oil and filter, using my oil & filter, will be 3 hours of work thus $350-$400. He specifically said this does NOT include checking other fluids, etc. 3 hours for an oil change? Does that sound right?
Why don't you do it yourself?
!!!!!FIRST OF ALL DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE COLD!!!!!!
It is very easy and 100% secure.
All you need is oil, filter and two brass O-rings for the oil tank's and carter's bolts.
Unscrew the front apron which covers the front lower part of the engine, open the hood and twist the left cover's clips, locate the oil's cap and unscrew it, and remove the oil level indicator.
First unscrew the bolt located in the bottom center (under the car) of the two sides of the V8.
about 1 Kg of oil will come out.
Unscrew the bolt located on the bottom of the oil tank (left side of the car behind the wheel). The rest of oil will come out from there.
Unscrew the oil filter using your hands or a special filter chain.
(you can buy it for cents in a petrol station).
Leave it to drain about 5min.
Start screwing back the two bolts using new O-rings.
It is not critical to have Maserati O-rings.
Find similar at a petrol station near you.
Tight up bolts pretty good.
Screw the new filter using your hands as far as you can, and tight it up twisting it haft a turn with the chain.
Pour 8lt of oil. put the cap and the oil indicator back, place NEUTRAL and start the engine.
DO NOT ACCELERATE!!!!!!
Wait about 2min, turn the engine off, wait about 15min remove the oil indicator and check oil level.
It should be ok by now.
check for leakages at the bolts or filter, if you notice some, tight them up a bit more but DO NOT UNSCREW THEM.
That's all, screw the apron back and cruise happy with a few hundreds of $ in your pocket.
If you think you cannot do all the above, avoid all the mess and trouble and pay the guy, but 350-400$ is alot of money for this labour.
It is worth trying IMO.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I tried a DIY oil change - once....

The whole process - from start to finally finished (includes cleaning the oil mess) was about two hours...

Now days, oil changes from the group who services my Maserati is about $250

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why Cold??

Why don't you do it yourself?
!!!!!FIRST OF ALL DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE COLD!!!!!!
It is very easy and 100% secure.
All you need is oil, filter and two brass O-rings for the oil tank's and carter's bolts.
Unscrew the front apron which covers the front lower part of the engine, open the hood and twist the left cover's clips, locate the oil's cap and unscrew it, and remove the oil level indicator.
First unscrew the bolt located in the bottom center (under the car) of the two sides of the V8.
about 1 Kg of oil will come out.
Unscrew the bolt located on the bottom of the oil tank (left side of the car behind the wheel). The rest of oil will come out from there.
Unscrew the oil filter using your hands or a special filter chain.
(you can buy it for cents in a petrol station).
Leave it to drain about 5min.
Start screwing back the two bolts using new O-rings.
It is not critical to have Maserati O-rings.
Find similar at a petrol station near you.
Tight up bolts pretty good.
Screw the new filter using your hands as far as you can, and tight it up twisting it haft a turn with the chain.
Pour 8lt of oil. put the cap and the oil indicator back, place NEUTRAL and start the engine.
DO NOT ACCELERATE!!!!!!
Wait about 2min, turn the engine off, wait about 15min remove the oil indicator and check oil level.
It should be ok by now.
check for leakages at the bolts or filter, if you notice some, tight them up a bit more but DO NOT UNSCREW THEM.
That's all, screw the apron back and cruise happy with a few hundreds of $ in your pocket.
If you think you cannot do all the above, avoid all the mess and trouble and pay the guy, but 350-400$ is alot of money for this labour.
It is worth trying IMO.
I always found oil to drain quicker & with easier flow when HOT??

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Never change oil on a cold engine...

The sediment will be on the bottom of the pan and not in the oil which is one reason you are changing the oil in the first place. Secondly, you need to check the oil with the engine running, this is a dry sump system and you check it while the engine is running, not with the engine off and the oil settled, refer to the manual, it tells you the same thing. Another easier way to get to the oil drain on the wet sump is to remove the rubber plug on the apron and use your socket to pull out the wet sump plug without having to remove the apron....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oil change

I have a 2002 Spyder and I have just changed the oil. (I always get the oil warm but not hot before draining it. Hot would probably be better for getting out particulate matter but I'd get burned.) First you can count on spilling some oil unless you're some mechanical genius. Second I found a sloping spot in my driveway that when I drove down it and then up on my ramps the car was level but had enough room for me to get under. Third I bought the filter from Maserati Atlanta and it came with 2 copper washers - not O rings. The tank plug is front of the right front wheel behind a rubber plug. In my case the rubber plug and drain plug lined up well and most of the oil drained into my catch basin. Next I removed the center plug under the engine and there was able to catch all the oil. Finally I removed the oil filter from the right hand side of the engine. The filter is screwed on so that it is lying parallel to the ground so no matter what when it's unscrewed it's going to spill oil down the side of the engine. Oil up the gasket on the filter and screw it back on. (Tight and then a further 1/4 turn.) Then replace the copper washers and torque down the two drain plugs. I used 8 qts of Pennzoil 5W40 European formula motor oil. I checked the specs and this meets the Maserati requirements. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have a MUCH easier method that doesn't spill a drop on my driveway!

(1) drive the car to the dealer
(2) bitch about all the warranty things you want fixed
(3) tell them to change the oil
(4) pay them a bunch of money

BTW.... oil changes are free if you get a warranty engine replacement ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a MUCH easier method that doesn't spill a drop on my driveway!

(1) drive the car to the dealer
(2) bitch about all the warranty things you want fixed
(3) tell them to change the oil
(4) pay them a bunch of money

BTW.... oil changes are free if you get a warranty engine replacement ;)
SPOT ON BUZZ!!!!! -:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would just pay the extra $100 and have the full service done. It can never hurt to have the brake lines bled and the coolant replaced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts