Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as I mentioned in another thread, I recently purchased my first maser. It suffered a light rear ender bender and I am in the process of gathering up the bumper and tail lights before taking off to ultimate collision in Edison, NJ.

When I got the car, it was dead. I just replaced the battery with one of OEM specs and tried starting the car. The engine keeps cranking but won't turn over. All the lights come on and everything looks normal but when I turn the key, the engine will crank but won't turn over.

Is there a safety inertia switch that I made need to toggle to re-activate the fuel pump (commonly found of Fords and other models) or is this maybe a larger issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, i mean the engine is cranking but not firing.

I turned the battery switch off for 20 minutes and then turned it back on, still the same thing.

The voltometer indicates a good reading but the red light right next to it is on. Also, on the instrument cluster next to the diagram of the car showing which door is open, the yellow gas light is on constantly, even though I have half a tank in there, leading me to believe maybe it is a fuel pump related issue?

Any advice from you guys would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
may be the fuses? check all of them just incase. including the 30amp for the F1 pump near the battery.
hope that would help

·
Registered
52 Posts
Safety Inertia Switch

Hello, There is a safety inertia switch located If I remember correctly beside the CD changer. Look in the manual it will tell you where exactly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
F1 Fuse is not the problem

The fuse for the F1 will trigger a red CC light on the dash display. A collision would not damage a fuse, only too many amps draw. You should be able to change gears without the engine running anyway, the F1 pump is powered up by the battery not the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. As luck would have it, the manual was not included with the car.

Mine is the GT (6-speed model), so no F1 pump to worry about :)

I'll go and check around the CD changer area to see what I can find, thanks for your input

·
Registered
255 Posts
My manual positions the fuel cut-off switch just to the front left of the CD changer mounting cavity.

If it has been triggered then a warning light on the dash is lit (looks like gas pump with line through it).

To reset - "ignition key to stop, press the reset switch down, ignition to AVV and wait a few secnds, then ignition to ACC"

Warning light should go out - check for fuel leaks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YES! That is the exact warning light that is on! Thank you barbuckle.

I just went out to the car and, looking into the trunk, there is a small section that opens up in the far left of the trunk, aprox. 3 inch by 3 inch, opposite the driver side tail light. I opened it up and saw some wires, but no switch. Before removing the trunk lining to search deeper, is that compartment where the switch is housed. I don't have a CD changer, but like most models, I'm assuming its mounted ontop of the trunk on the driver side?

Thank you barbuckle for pointing me in the right direction, I cannot wait to hear her purr.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Hello, There is a safety inertia switch located If I remember correctly beside the CD changer. Look in the manual it will tell you where exactly.
Hey 'Lad - good to see you back & active on the board. Glad to see you still have the '64 in the stable. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after about an hour of scrutinizing my trunk space (what little trunk space there is in these cars) I still cannot find that fuel reset switch, I feel like such a noob lol.

I do see the knob in front of the battery that controls the power to the car but have yet to find a fuel cut-off switch.

I called Maserati roadside assistance and they were of absolutely no use. I asked the gentleman on the phone if he could direct me to the location of the switch and he stated he had no idea, he just sets up tow service. Inquired if there was ANYONE there that could offer technical advice and nobody there could...:confused:

Well it's 2 a.m. here on the east coast and I have work in 6 hours lol so I think I'll throw in the towel for the night. She may have won this round, but I'll get my way with her eventually :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
The CD changer is usually under the hatch on the opposite side to that of the battery (driver's side on wrong-hand drive cars). ;)

Try in there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Inertia Switch

Hello Again, The switch is located towards the front of the car as you look at the CD changer, you will have to remove the lining in that area of the trunk most likely.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry - I said on left as you look at it - it's on the right i.e. closer to front of car.
The reset switch is a round black button - should be where people are saying it is, in that small compartment you were looking at (no cd changer fitted on your car then?)

It should be on the lower, right as you look at that compartment and possible you have to look in and down to see it. There won't be any other large round push-buttons in there...

·
Registered
52 Posts
2007 Gransport

Hello, I noticed that you have your Gransport listed as a 2007 model year, I thought that the last year of production on that body style was 2006. I assume its because you are going by the year of registration not the year of production. Am I correct or were there 2007's produced for the european market?

Sorry - I said on left as you look at it - it's on the right i.e. closer to front of car.
The reset switch is a round black button - should be where people are saying it is, in that small compartment you were looking at (no cd changer fitted on your car then?)

It should be on the lower, right as you look at that compartment and possible you have to look in and down to see it. There won't be any other large round push-buttons in there...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello, I noticed that you have your Gransport listed as a 2007 model year, I thought that the last year of production on that body style was 2006. I assume its because you are going by the year of registration not the year of production. Am I correct or were there 2007's produced for the european market?
in Europe they had an 07 model year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys, I found the switch and have her finally running. Looks like I will be investing in a user manual ASAP lol, seems like there are none on Ebay at the moment..

Barbuckle, ScottishLadd, doodlebug and yiug412; your assistance was most sincerely appreciated.

On a side note though - I went yesterday to Ferrari Maserati of Central Jersey to speak with a service manager, Michael Belmonte, in regards to bringing the car in for service on the airbag light/run a full diagnosis and any scheduled maintenance on the car. I then described to him the situation about the fuel cut-off and where I could find the switch so I don't have to have it towed (the sound of the car bottoming out as it was loaded and unloaded onto the flatbed was just too hard to bear again). The service manager then informed me that there was no such thing as a fuel cut-off switch or safety inertia switch on my car and that the problem was most likely a bigger issue and he could send a tow truck to pick up the car and bring it in for diagnosis. I insisted that even the user manual stated there was but he feigned ignorance and insisted that there is no fuel cut-off switch on my model.

I honestly do hope this was from a lack of knowledge rather than trying to scare me into bringing the car in and charge me for towing plus whatever just to push that button. Even if it was from a lack of knowledge, he should have asked a techie, right? He seemed sincere enough but my experience with dealers has taught me to always second guess them.

I hope I can trust this dealership as I've fallen in love with this Maserati and am seriously considering a GT come spring time and the second closest authorized Maserati dealership is over an hour away.

Again I thank you guys for your assistance and guidance as I break my Italian Cherry :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Talk to Mark R in Service and Jerry at Ultimate

I have never had a bad service experience with FMNJ. Mark is very knowledgeable and very helpful. They will do my clutch and pump when and if. ( I am still on the fence with the relay idea. I talked to several techs as well ).

I also dealt with Jerry At Ultimate Collison, my car came back amazing. (A young boy on a bike put a 2 inch scratch in my rear quarter panel while my car was parked) Let me know how you make out with Ultimate. They do amazing work on exotics. Jerry is a very nice man.

Good Luck.

CM

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes first reg was June 2007 and, despite looking at the plate inside the door frame (as others suggested) I cannot decipher the actual date of manufacture. From other discussions and also from the fact that the GT production line set-up started October 2006 I suspect maybe final assembly could have been early 2007, but not sure if they were actually still building the GS in 2007. Does anyone know if both production lines ran alongside one another initially?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts