Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Maser last Friday, and today, the check engine light came on...it was a 2003 that was probably sitting in the showroom for a few weeks/months, but still... :cry:

Seems to be running OK, other than a little grumpiness getting off the line.

Any obvious things to check?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had problems with mine in the past, but it seems to have resolved itself recently. One person recommended making sure that the gas cap was on tight. Good luck.
Tony

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can purchase an inexpensive code reader at most auto parts stores.
Some stores will check the code for free (I think Advance does this).
I'll see if the code readers our business sells works on the car ($54).

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had my check engine light come on right after a dealer service. They said that it will automatically reset if the problem goes away. They also said they would pick the car up and check it if I wished(good customer service).

I just let it be and sure enough the light went out. I wasn't noticing any problems with the car at the time. I've also had a loose gas cap on my truck turn on the check engine light.

Marc

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was planning to zip by the dealer today and at least have them read the code to know if it was just an annoyance or something more ominous. Will report back the results.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer slotted me right in, saw a Evap Emissions fault code on the OBDII, ran a few tests, everything seemed OK, reset the light, and all good now.

While I was there, they also adjusted the (BIS?) setting which tweaks the clutch engagement in 1st. Lowered the RPM point a bit, and it is a much smoother launch now.

All good!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Rick,

An emissions evap code can be set by something as minor as the gas cap being loose and not allowing the system to hold vacuum.
Glad you got it taken care of.
For what it's worth, I tested one of the code readers my company carries on our 2004 coupe today. I disconnected a couple of injectors while the engine was running and made it set a code. The reader was able to display the codes, erase them and reset the light. If you need one, here's a link: http://www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=23&idproduct=76#details
The closest dealer to me is 2 hours away and I like knowing what's going on with my cars before I think about going to the dealer.

Regards,
Sean

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Schweet! Thanks, Sean. I was looking for one just like that...cheap and simple!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sean - since Maserati does not sell tech manuals to the public, do you know of a source for OBDII codes for the Coupe?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Rick,

OBD2 code number meanings are the same from one vehicle to another. It's a standardized system.
The only difference in vehicles is the protocol used to communicate.
On European, Asian and most Chrysler vehicles (our shop builds Viper parts), the protocol is ISO, which is why the code readers we have work on my Coupe. Just don't get a VPW, KWP ar VAG / Audi reader as they will not work on your Maserati.
When I had the engine running and started disconnecting injectors, all the codes that came up corresponded to the correct injector numbers.
The code reader has a small book with it that provides a full description of what each code number means.
The reader shows you the set of codes four times and if you leave it plugged in for about 3 minutes, it erases them and turns off the light.
It's a handy little tool that takes the mystery out of what the check engine light may be for.
Unfortunately, it doesn't help with trunk leaks and I have to take my car back to the dealer in Orlando (again) to fix the trunk leak. There's some sort of opening behind the rear bumper that's allowing the water to come in.

Regards,
Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
My ODBII light came on a week ago... I took it to the dealer and sure enough they checked the evaporator control system. The error code was P0442. However, after they performed tests they determined there was nothing wrong and reset the light. I picked it up this past Friday, just a little over 5 miles from the dealership the light came on again... that really sux... Taking it back again.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI, my engine light came on again, but this time I had my trusty OBDII reader at the ready (thanks for the suggestion, Sean). Once again, the P0456 (small evap system leak) was the culprit (often the gas cap). Sinc e the dealer had recently run a full leak test/smoke test, I went ahead and reset the code. Will watch it for now, but I strongly recommend any of you to get the reader - it'll save you much angst and maybe a few trips to the dealer!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mine happened twice and in the end they replaced the gasket on the purge valve. Last week at the same time smoke came out of the exhaust, they don't know if the problems are entirely related… I think you should have it checked out again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
haha
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing