Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, Recently and after the engine is hot in my '02 Spyder, if I turn off for a while and restart I am getting a engine rattling noise that goes away after a minute or so. The car runs perfectly afterward and no warning lights are set off. It is not something I am used to hearing and it is forward of the dash. I do not hear it on a cold start. Any ideas? Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Dave, I had a sound similar to that, just before one of my primary fell apart. I thought it was the clutch ratteling at first while sitting in the car but when i would stand beside or in front it sounded like the motor but it wouldn't happen all the time, then i started getting the CEL coming on saying CAT not reaching temp, not long after that the CAT blew up and blocked the secondary, before that the motor went really well heaps of power.
Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave, I had a sound similar to that, just before one of my primary fell apart. I thought it was the clutch ratteling at first while sitting in the car but when i would stand beside or in front it sounded like the motor but it wouldn't happen all the time, then i started getting the CEL coming on saying CAT not reaching temp, not long after that the CAT blew up and blocked the secondary, before that the motor went really well heaps of power.
Chris
Chris, I will keep my ears open. I have some miles on this rig (68,000) so that could be it. I was just about to update with another little observation made this morning. My oil stick showed the oil down below the minimum level. A quart brought it well into the safe zone. In a dry-sump system, that may be enough, perhaps, to get some sounds until the engine gets the oil circulated around after a few moments. When I started the car to check the oil, even when down in level, there was no noise. Of course, there was no hot cat either! So, your explanation makes sense. I will keep listening. If it happens again after the cat heats up, into the shop she goes!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Have someone start it with you at the font of the car with the hood up to verify this is not coming from the engine. Be sure this is not a variator noise. I'm not saying your variators are bad. This might be your accumulator, which I believe can cause the rattling only during warm/hot conditions. I'm going through this right now and all my variators/seals are brand new.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have someone start it with you at the font of the car with the hood up to verify this is not coming from the engine. Be sure this is not a variator noise. I'm not saying your variators are bad. This might be your accumulator, which I believe can cause the rattling only during warm/hot conditions. I'm going through this right now and all my variators/seals are brand new.
My variators are new, too, and were done as a part of a front of engine oil leak fix. I am hoping it is something like an accumulator or just that topping off the oil will see the end of the issue.. I will continue when something else is observed or happens,

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I'm getting the SAME SOUND and it is coming from the new variators. It is only when the car is warm/hot. I just got my accumulator in and will be installing it shortly. I am nearly convinced that the accumulator is the issue. I wrote a long thread on this issue under the QP section with info on the accumulator wear from the manufacturer of the accumulator itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Erik for posting Everything You Need To Know. It was in the QP section so I missed it until now. Anyone with a drysump engine needs to read this, at least for future reference. My takeaway is that you are recommending replacement of the accumulator @ 50k to prevent future problems. Also if I understand correctly, you were going to try to substitute an F430 accumulator for the Mas unit? Did you do it , if so has it worked? At a cost of $800 plus a few hours labor to prevent $5k-10k in repairs it seems like a no-brainer. This winter I was planning to pull the intake manifold to repaint, clean injectors, possibly replace oil press. sender, I will be replacing the accumulator now while all is off. Thanks for spending time and $ to explore the root cause of this issue, and sharing the results with us. BTW does anyone know where to get the gold wrinkle paint for the intake? Any suggestions on other maint. to do while it is off? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Thanks Erik for posting Everything You Need To Know. It was in the QP section so I missed it until now. Anyone with a drysump engine needs to read this, at least for future reference. My takeaway is that you are recommending replacement of the accumulator @ 50k to prevent future problems. Also if I understand correctly, you were going to try to substitute an F430 accumulator for the Mas unit? Did you do it , if so has it worked? At a cost of $800 plus a few hours labor to prevent $5k-10k in repairs it seems like a no-brainer. This winter I was planning to pull the intake manifold to repaint, clean injectors, possibly replace oil press. sender, I will be replacing the accumulator now while all is off. Thanks for spending time and $ to explore the root cause of this issue, and sharing the results with us. BTW does anyone know where to get the gold wrinkle paint for the intake? Any suggestions on other maint. to do while it is off? Thanks.
I did not replace with the F430 unit. I have the new factory accumulator on my work bench waiting for the install. I really should do it this weekend but I dread tearing it down again!

Search around for a deal on the new accumulator (don't install a used one!). I got mine for $270.00 new in the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I suggest painting the inlet cover red to match the head valve covers. Did this to mine and WHAT a nice difference. When you lift the hood, the matching three cover colors provides a nicely balanced symetry to the engines appearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts