Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you all. I've had my 2004 cambio coupe (with vintage package and Tubi) for 2 months now and have put almost 900 miles on her. (I'm not sure if I should call this great black and silver roaring, gurgleing beast a "her", but that's another subject.) The car was mostly garaged for 4 years by a senior exec. with 6 cars and only had 4,900 miles when I got it and has 5,800 miles now. It seems to be in perfect shape inside and out and has good maintenance records.

The car is amazing, wonderful and a stunning pleasure every minute.
I do have one weird thing happening though. I drive it calmly/legally/lovingly approx. 99.8% of the time. I have however, kicked it in hard about 4 or 5 times on a straight-away from either a stop or from a very slow roll and I have also taken 2 or 3 sharp corners at about 30 or so mph, rather than a normal 10 or so mph. I've never gone over 80 mph. During one of the sharp corners and a couple of the fast starts, the car has made a loud POP/crack sound which sounds almost like a rock flying up from the road and hitting the car hard, but it is not that. I sounds like it's in the frame or body. A couple of those times after the one loud pop there continued to be smaller little popping sounds from under the car about once every 5 or 10 seconds, for 5 or 10 minutes. (None of these pops are exhaust.) The smaller popping sounds do not return after I turn the car off and then back on an hour or so later. I have no idea what is causing that. I am fearing everything from some kind of major structural/frame problem to some type of motor mounts, or problems with the shock absorbers or some type of air lines serving the suspension. It seems like if it was the structure, the small popping sounds would not go away after I turn it off and back on. It never does this with normal driving or even strong acceleration or braking, only about 3 times with really forceful acceleration or cornering (basically showing off... OOOPS... Sorry.... but could not stop myself a few times.) OH, MSP was ON all of those times, so I could stay fairly safe. Maybe it is the MSP or skyhook doing something? Any ideas? Thanks a bunch...
Steve

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
Bottom line is that if you're not inclined to look at it yourself, take it to a good shop.

Otherwise, I have a few places that I could advise you to check but you need to get the car on a lift or at least on jackstands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
similar sound

this may sound crazy....but my 2002 coupe makes a similar sound once in a while.....sounds like a large rock hitting either back or side of the car......happens on acceleration (hard) or cornering with gusto.....but once happened in the garage while starting the car......then i could tell it was coming from the speakers (audio was turned off)......i beleive it originates from a semi loose connection to the amp or some wire in between.....listen closely next time......

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You know what, sometimes I hear a clunk sound coming from the back of the car when cornering hard, like there's something loose inside my trunk, rolling and hitting the side of it... That's weird!:confused:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I drive it calmly/legally/lovingly approx. 99.8% of the time. I've never gone over 80 mph.
Wow. I drive mine like I stole it every time I get in it and I went through my last set of tires in 2500 miles.

Please, please let me know if you ever want to sell it!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HA, OK Flash, I'll let you know... unless the next time it POPS it explodes into a million pieces. I'll be driving it faster SOME day though, I promise. I may drive it to Atlanta where everyone drives 110, so I'll fit right in.
I also live a few miles from Charlotte Motor Speedway, and a couple times a year, they let people drive on the track if we give to charity and maybe take a class or something like that. So, even if I never go over 80 or 90 on the road, I'm gonna do the race track thing.

My popping sounds could actually be from a couple different things. The small ones after hard acceleration do sound a little like some kind of spark knocking type things. These are not the normal TUBI gurgleing and crackling when decelerating though. I LOVE those normal sounds. These little pops are also different from the loud POP a couple times when I cornered hard. I'll be taking it in for the first check up soon.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just maybe the same problem a few guys in the UK and europe have discussed,get it up on a ramp and check the handbrake cable is clear, apparently they are held by clips and the loop can expand so it rubs on a serated edge , when the pushed hard the rear digs down (or when going over bumps ) and the cable flicks free making a clunking / metallic knocking sound against the underbody.

Worth checking out

Regards loz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.