Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I only have had my '12 Granturismo MC for 2 months, and already received alot of obnoxious comments or gestures at me when driving it. was wondering if others had similar experiences?

a couple of examples: (and most of these are from college kids or younger guys, since I'm in a college town)

-- Was driving in parking lot looking for a space, a couple of 20 yr old guys drove by in a Golf GTI and began laughing and pointing at me...what did I do to them? Guess they think i'm a rich, stuck up guy?

-- driving down the road, came to a red light. guy next to me had a base Camaro. noticed he gestured to me, so looked at him and he began doing the "jerk off" hand motion and drove off...WTF?? I was minding my own business.

- went to pick up some take out food for family for lunch. when i came back to my car, 2 guys came up to me and asked if it was my Maserati. I said yes, and they began asking how much it costs. I told them it was kinda rude to ask, and they can always google it. Then they proceed to get angry because I wouldn't tell them and asked again. I got into my car and said my food's getting cold, and drove off.

any of you had similar experiences, or maybe because I live in a large college town I get alot of kids who act immature? does this seem kinda frequent for only have had the car for 2 months?

However, I have gotten many awesome comments, phone photos taken by strangers, and nice comments, so I guess that evens it out!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Weird. Envy is such a bad thing ...
Never happened to me, but here in Miami my Spider is just another sport car (definitely not the most exotic).
As the great Dante wrote in the Inferno "... non ti curar di loro ma guarda e passa" (don't care about them but look and walk on)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Nothing like this ever happened to me in Miami.

Only positive comments, thumbs-up and pictures.

One of the best memories is when a motorcycle stayed at the same level of my car on the highway, he kept looking and then gave a huge smile with a thumb-up that lasted many seconds (all of this doing 70 on the road).

The "worst" memory (not that bad at all) is when someone on the parking lot was talking and drooling about the sexiness of QP and then said "yeah but the Panamera eats you alive from 0-60".

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Dr Gransport I haven't seen you around in a while until recently, I'm glad your back or maybe it was just me.....either way.

Listen, I know you probably know this already but...... your not normal. I don't mean that in a bad way but people are going to react to it differently especially in that car. It's just people. Some have this view point that your rich, and with that, stuck up. The guy in the Camaro was obviously envious, but honestly he's driving a trailer park car that until YOU pulled up was the best thing around in about oh 1/4 mile radius, no offense to him it's just what he can afford right now. Sadly a lot of people would rather do some sort of gesture like him because they feel awkward. Someone pulls up with a car that costs more than their house, probably twice that in Texas, at least when I lived in Houston, many will admire the car but others who want to feel special will make an attempt at bravado. In either case, the immaturity shouldn't offend you, they only have a vague stereotype to go off of before they meet you. Now I have to admit the guys who asked how much it cost might have just been trying to make a light hearted conversation with you, I had a woman walk up with her sons who were quite young do this same sort of thing when I was in the local area with another Maserati owner. We actually opened our cars up, and let the kids look inside and do what we all did at that age dream about these type of cars. I kind of want them to know that well first I'm not "rich" because I own a Maserati, but two, I'm not a stuck up bad guy either, because many do have this stereotype. It's not of course my mission to act as if I have to go around fixing this stereotype either. But with the guys asking price and stuff, maybe just a suggestion, walk up to them and stare them in the eyes and shake hands with them. Talk to them about the car because honestly how many times will they be able to meet someone who takes the time to do it? It seems to me, and that's it, just my perception nothing more, they viewed you as being someone rich, if not famous, and wanted to just have a conversation with someone who owned a nice car like you do. How else can they strike up a conversation with a complete stranger and not feel awkward? I think, and again only my perception, when you didn't want to talk with them they felt rejected, maybe even belittled. So in kind with those emotions became angry.

I have had the other side with jealousy, but people really like when you engage them and wave. It might be out of character for you or feel awkward but again your different just because your driving the car you are. With the people who are like the Camaro owner's, I look at their car, look at them as they are doing the obscene gesture, I smile at them and shrug my shoulders looking forward. I would much rather be driving the Mas. smiling, than a Camaro doing obscene gestures because I haven't any other notion of what to do!

As far as the Porsche doing 0-60 times, my goodness, that thing is so darn ugly. Sorry, I ride those crotch-rockets all the time, and Porsche, Vette whatever they don't beat me, but who looks better the 4 door Porsche family wagon or a nice Maserati. Sorry in my mind no contest. It's not the 0-60 times for me it's the class that I arrive in. Porsche make nice cars but they lost it for me in that 4 door sorry.............He can blow my doors off if he likes....truth of the matter I would rather slow down it's a piece of Italian art work after all people like to admire it!!:D

·
5,887 Posts
Was driving in parking lot looking for a space, a couple of 20 yr old guys drove by in a Golf GTI and began laughing and pointing at me...what did I do to them? Guess they think i'm a rich, stuck up guy?
Could have been any number of things. Your fly could have been open, toilet paper trailing from your shoe, or they just find yellow cars funny. Pointing and laughing is not a normal response if someone perceives a person as rich and stuck up. Lots of kids are immature and have zero explanation for some of the things they do or say. I would just chalk it up to kids being kids.

driving down the road, came to a red light. guy next to me had a base Camaro. noticed he gestured to me, so looked at him and he began doing the "jerk off" hand motion and drove off...WTF?? I was minding my own business.
Maybe you cut him off? Maybe his wife threatened to leave him for a doctor with a yellow car? Maybe he didn't like you for some other reason. Craig said it best, just shrug, smile, and enjoy the ride!

went to pick up some take out food for family for lunch. when i came back to my car, 2 guys came up to me and asked if it was my Maserati. I said yes, and they began asking how much it costs. I told them it was kinda rude to ask, and they can always google it. Then they proceed to get angry because I wouldn't tell them and asked again. I got into my car and said my food's getting cold, and drove off.
The price question comes up from time to time. In fact, I think we have a whole tread on it somewhere here. I like to use jest to defuse uncomfortable situations so my favorite response is "I don't know, this is my Grandma's car, I just drive it when she is too drunk to know".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey Doc, get a GT-R and those same boys will be kissing your ass and bowing to you as their car-god. :laugh: :thumbsup:

It's true....been there and done that. ;)

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great replies guys. And there are some rich people here with nice cars. A couple of Gallardo, a R8, a few Ferrari California. Etc. But I think what you guys said above is mostly true.

Don't get me wrong. I don't let it bother me but find it strange I had so many bad experiences already in such a short time. I never had so many with any if my other cars before. But out of the 3-4 bad experiences ice probably had 10-20 awesome experiences at least.

And the two guys asking how much it costs I would happily stuck up a conversation but they seem like jerks. They were more asking, at least in my opinion, not because they are car guys and are interested but almost to get an idea of either how much I spent or what I'm worth. Again it's just my first impression of them but I'm usually pretty good at judging people. So no way I'd tell them.

I agree with the GT-R comment but someone at work has one and its so boring to look at. If I wanted college or teenage boys to worship me I'd get an EVO and call it a day. Lol!

And it's funny when my wife drives her 911 GT3 RS she usually gets shocked stares from guys that it's a hot girl driving a car like that. She always find it hilarious!

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well, West Texas is West Texas...
However, there are a ton of nice folks there and I have had ZERO negative feedback here in the DFW area.

Not sure why the negative press and response but do not worry about it or let it get to you ....those same folks will NEVER have the ability or desire to work hard enough to enjoy nice automobiles. Years from now you'll have wonderful memories and hopefully the latest Mas, while "those" folks will be wearing their old Roppers and driving C10 Chevy's struggling to pay a mortgage and child support. Just old fashion politics of envy.

Great to have you back on the board.
And you sold the 355????!!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hey guys

I only have had my '12 Granturismo MC for 2 months, and already received alot of obnoxious comments or gestures at me when driving it. was wondering if others had similar experiences?

a couple of examples: (and most of these are from college kids or younger guys, since I'm in a college town)

-- Was driving in parking lot looking for a space, a couple of 20 yr old guys drove by in a Golf GTI and began laughing and pointing at me...what did I do to them? Guess they think i'm a rich, stuck up guy?

-- driving down the road, came to a red light. guy next to me had a base Camaro. noticed he gestured to me, so looked at him and he began doing the "jerk off" hand motion and drove off...WTF?? I was minding my own business.

- went to pick up some take out food for family for lunch. when i came back to my car, 2 guys came up to me and asked if it was my Maserati. I said yes, and they began asking how much it costs. I told them it was kinda rude to ask, and they can always google it. Then they proceed to get angry because I wouldn't tell them and asked again. I got into my car and said my food's getting cold, and drove off.

any of you had similar experiences, or maybe because I live in a large college town I get alot of kids who act immature? does this seem kinda frequent for only have had the car for 2 months?

However, I have gotten many awesome comments, phone photos taken by strangers, and nice comments, so I guess that evens it out!
Personally I dismiss most of these gesturing people for their:
1. primitive mechanism of manifesting desire/envy
2. incapability of second layer of thinking and being entrapped by conventional wisdom

But the two guys that walked up to you and asked about the price, seemed like they were just trying to be friendly and strike up a conversation. Personally I don't find this topic awkward at all. And often people are surprised at how "cheap" my QP is, in relative terms, when I tell them the price and that I didn't buy it new.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Doc, your car is yellow - a rather extreme shade of yellow. We all think it looks cool because there aren't many fly yellow MCs on the street. Someone else sees the car and feel that it's extreme and unnecessarily flashy. I suspect you may have gotten similar looks in your 355, which I believe was the same color.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
+1 on the yellow attracts attention comment. It is the #1 hey look at me colour, followed by red I would say. Goes with the territory, unfortunately.

+1 on the smile and drive on comment. Hey, you're driving a Maserati, how bad could life be?

+1 on the use humour comment. Best weapon against someone with a chip on their shoulder. Kill'em with kindness. The only time someone tried to be a jerk to me, I just smiled and was friendly back. He quickly became sheepish and a bit defensive. It was a bit amusing, actually.

Regarding the how much does it cost question, I never say a number, but I always respond. Sometimes it is less than you think, other times it is less than a Suburban, other times it is half the price of a Ferrari, depending on the situation. They can consult the all-knowing internet if they really need to know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey guys

You should have made a blow job gesture, licked your lips and blew him a kiss.

Maybe he was offering you a hand job

You never know! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you know they are rich?
Oh you're correct. Ok, I know there are a lot of rich people here. And some people drive nice cars here. But the ones with the nice cars may not be the rich ones. :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup same color as my F355. And yes I sold it. Maintaining it was too much for a 18 year old car. Plus sold it to get wife's ride.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You should have made a blow job gesture, licked your lips and blew him a kiss.

Maybe he was offering you a hand job

You never know! :laugh:
Um no thanks. I don't play for that team!

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Never had negative response or gestures. Maserati's seem to get universal thumbs up from pedestrians, motorists and even cyclists (in the UK, there is some unfortunate tension between cyclists and motorists so this is quite a phenomenon).

I think (I believe) most Maserati owners tend to be genuine enthusiasts who aren't getting into the car to prove anything and this can equate to more balanced egos and 'decent' driving behaviour.

The combination of driving an appreciated car by 'decent' drivers tends to attract positive reactions. From speaking with other Maserati owners in the UK, this seems to be a consistent experience. I have been asked how much the car costs a couple of times and treated the question as genuine interest; told folks that they are relatively affordable second hand but cost a lot to maintain.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts