Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the FD street/track pads about 6 weeks ago just prior to going up to Watkins Glen. When they were first installed, they squealed a bit at slow speeds and I had assumed (hoped) that after the track event the squealing would subside.

The brakes still really squeal loudly (I even attracted attention from a guy driving a semi-trailer) and it is both annoying and embarassing to come to a stop (or even slow down)! Are there any suggestions on what can be done?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
This should do the trick:

* Clean everything with Brake Clean before installation
* Lubricate the back of the pad with a brake pad anti squeel compound
* Lubricate the pins and spring contact points with anti squeel
* Follow the Break-in proceedures: http://www.formuladynamics.com/products/4200_streetpads/4200padinstall.htm

Let me know if you still have problems, certain conditions can cause additional vibrations ( i.e. caliper ) that will cause this problem as well.

I wouldn't say that you should never hear squealing but it should be now and then and not too loud. We've tested the compound fairly extensively and it's very quiet for a performance pad. Much better than other brands in our experience.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Better also than OEM QP Sport pads?

I wouldn't say that you should never hear squealing but it should be now and then and not too loud. We've tested the compound fairly extensively and it's very quiet for a performance pad. Much better than other brands in our experience.
The OEM QP Sport pads squeak as well which I don't mind so much. My question is would your pads provide better braking performance than the OEM pads?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just replaced the pads....I was just over 9,000 miles when I changed them...
From what I have been told in the past, it can take longer for a new set of pads to properly bed in on rotors that were not turned.

Typical noise is a howl at low speeds when stopping, usually after the rotors have heated up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same Problem. I went from Stock pads with only 7k on the pads to Axis Ult pad From the 350z to FD pads and still the same thing...I ended up starting from scratch.. I turned the rotor Used A Flywheel Grinder..then Installed a New pads. from a new vender....And NO more Brake Squeal... Try Turning the rotors and then New pads.....;)

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
Everyone here has the right idea, try everything from my above post, if that doesn't work turn the rotors, sand a thin top layer off the pads, and follow the brake-in procedures again. If that doesn't work, something still isn't aligned properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.