Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Does it make a difference what brand OBD II reader I buy> is the $65 as good as th $200 one
Usually the price difference these days is the type of interface to your computer (ie wireless, usb, ethernet, etc).

I have a $50 scanner and it works fine.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Some readers have better interfaces, i.e. better displays and more appropriate code descriptions for Error Codes based on your car.

I do think that there is a difference. We'll likely be carrying OBDII Readers that are the best fit for the Maserati we've found... keeping the price in a reasonable range of course. We do have some in stock now that we like but I'm going to do a more exhaustive search. I don't recommed the PC based systems for most owners, it's much more convienant to have a self contained unit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Some readers have better interfaces, i.e. better displays and more appropriate code descriptions for Error Codes based on your car.

I do think that there is a difference. We'll likely be carrying OBDII Readers that are the best fit for the Maserati we've found... keeping the price in a reasonable range of course. We do have some in stock now that we like but I'm going to do a more exhaustive search. I don't recommed the PC based systems for most owners, it's much more convienant to have a self contained unit.
Agreed.

What I was referring to was that a lot of the self contained units allow updates / data export from / to your computer.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Yes, downloading to your computer from your OBDII can be a nice feature if you want to document the errors and when they occured for whatever reason.

A handheld with a good display and the ability to download / print is probably the best setup.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
141 Posts
OBD II aftermarket generic scanners all pretty much do the same thing, identify what Diagnostic Trouble Code has illuminated the check engine light.
That information is crucial in the right hands and irrelevant in the wrong ones.
With that said, one should not arbitrarily clear DTC's. They are vital to proper diagnosis of whatever system is malfunctioning, and yes there is a malfunction rearing it's head. So to answer your question, for you, the cheaper the better.
Hope this helps to clarify.
--Kent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.