Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Looks like you've crossed over to the land of manufacturer specific codes....

There's a list of codes here which indicates 1443 can indicate the following:

P1443 Leakage Diagnostic Pump Control Circuit Signal High (BMW)
P1443 Small Or No Purge Flow Condition (Ford)
P1443 Evaporative Emission Control System (Mazda)
P1443 EVAP System Vent Control Function Problem (Subaru)

All appear to indicate faults with the emissions control system. You can be adventurous and reset to see if it comes back (while melting a few more CCs of the ice caps and causing Al Gore to make another movie) or run it into the shop and ask em what it means in Maserati speak and how to fix it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..

Very helpful ! I'll have a natter with my friendly dealer and see what they say. Seems to go for 300 or so miles before it comes back so looks like an intermittent fault and the car runs perfectly.

Incidentally - the AutoXray codereader you recommended is very simple to use, cheap as chips and a very worthwhile purchase.

Regards

Jonny

·
Registered
530 Posts
Excellent, glad it worked for you. :D

Let us know what P1443 means.

*blink*

wonder if Kevin @ FMSF could provide a list of Maserati specific ones...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Codes 1443 and 4011

Well - turns out that these codes are related to the warm air pump that feeds warm air to the cats on start up !

Had to have a full SD2 test to find this out, but at least it tells you exactly what the problem is.

My codes occur occasionally, when the car is warm anyway and the local dealer says it's not a problem as the pump works fine anyway. Could just be a poor earth I suppose.

Anyway - anyone now where this pump is located so that I can check all wires are firmly fixed ?

Cheers

Jonny

·
Registered
38 Posts
Question to any of you guys who have seen P1443- what did you wind up doing to fix the problem causing the code? I have this code up right now. I reset it...was good for about 3-400 miles, and then popped back up again. The 'warm air pump' that was mentioned as the culprit...is this the 'diagnosis pump' as seen in the service manual?

My car is definitely not lacking performance right now, so i'm confident that it must be something minor causing this code. Any help is greatly appreciated...the only lights that I want to see up on the dash are the sport light and the flashing traction control light :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
wonder if Kevin @ FMSF could provide a list of Maserati specific ones...
We should definately find a way to come up with a list of the Maserati specific codes. It was very very helpful on my Porsche.

Any suggestions, dealers willing to share this info ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
intersting about the air pump code

my bmw is throwing a very similar code "secondary air pump" however what I do not understand is why the code trips in the middle of a driving cycle on a warm car when the pump only runs during start up

keep us posted on what you find

·
Registered
45 Posts
The reason that the code only occures on a warm engine is due to the fact that is the only time the system can be evaluated. During specific operating ranges the pump will come on during warm operation and the engine management unit expects to see the o2 sensors swithc lean. If the pump is commanded on and the o2 sensors do not switch to lean then the computor flags the system as not working and will set a code. A second consecutive occurance will turn the light on. This can be a pump or a check valve concern or simply a blown pump fuse that is common as the pumps age and begin to pull more amps.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ah ha!

Well, after a couple more months of seeing it and not, I fnially had enough of the engine light to begin taking things apart. 1443 is for the left bank (driver's side) secondary air injection system. Being it's only referring to the left side, that's where my attention focused.

Long winded version below. Scroll to the bottom for the cliff notes.

First took off the check valve that sits above the headers. Actuated it a couple times, checked the two rubber hoses going to it...everything appeared normal. started the car up with the valve back in place, but the vacuum connection off...and only felt a little bit of vacuum. On the right side of the car is a T connection where the vacuum line is split between the left and right check valves. at the T connection, the left (and right) side vacuum lines appeared to have strong vacuum. So, my focus shifted to the area between the left check valve and the T fitting on the right. Vacuum is communicated to the left check valve by a small metal tube at the bottom of the secondary air tube. I stuck a piece of weed wacker string into this small tube (very conveniently sized)...noticed it got stuck over on the right side...towards the bend when it turned from going forward, to across the front of the engine. This happened when inserted from both the left and right sides. Took the secondary air tubing off the front of the engine, looked at the bottom where the vacuum tube runs, and low and behold it had a hole worn into it from rubbing against something. Thats something is a nicely braided stainless steel line that runs right underneath the vacuum/secondary air tube. it was in contact with my tube before removal.

Moral of the story- If you've got this code, check your rubber hoses going to the check valve, then check to see if the bottom of the secondary air pipe/metal vacuum tube is in contact with the braided line on the right side of the car. If so, check for a hole in your metal vacuum tube.

FYI, removing that air pipe is a PITA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts