Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a number plate light out and the dealer says it's not the bulb or holder, no power is getting there. Has anyone had the problem of the cable assy at the back of the boot or trunk (lh side at the back) trapping in the rubber seal?
i am worried it has broken there. any ideas? the dealer wants £115/hr to investigate.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It's not an uncommon problem in any car and the only realistic option after bulb and holder.

Are all of the other lights working?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, even yhe number plate light to the left is OK. I'll have to try and take it apart to look, thnaks

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have exactly the same problem, left hand number plate light. i changed bulb and holder is dry and seems fine, all fuses ok and still no light. do you mind me asking how did you solve yours?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can pull the rubber boot loose and check the wires, inside. Seems to be a common problem. They put a plastic wire channel inside the boot on the newer cars, also keeps the harness from cracking the back glass if it gets pinched in the trunk lid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i changed the entire section of wiring that goes through the black cable boot. lower the internal panels and find a point where you can cut both ends and pull out the faulty section. make sure the replacement cable gauge is not smaller.i think iused 2 lengths of 4 core mains flex.took 1/2 a day, messy job but works

·
Registered
12 Posts
cheers!

thanks spartacus and n2E. good advice.

sorted it out this morning. tell-tale split in the rubber sleeve where it had been pinched by the boot lid. opened it up and one of the two yellow wires leading to the number plate lights was sheared clean through. joined it with a connector and re-sealed.

i had previously attached the sleeve to the boot lever arm with a plastic wire holder to stop the sleeve being chewed by the bootlid. this worked but clearly the strain on the wire which was already pinched was too much.

all good. one less reason to be stopped by the old bill now (that's police to you guys!).

thanks again this board is great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts