Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all for the advise on the purchase of my first Mazerati Coupe 2002, unfortunately it did not come to pass.

Went to the dealer with check and insurance and my '99 Porsche 911 for trade. We had agreed on everything in advance and I provided him with all the info I had, including the VIN to do a full check. When I got there (1.5 hr drive), the car was "in the shop to repair the driver seat" The "son" checked out my car -owner was not there although we had appointment - I took the day off - After an hour the owner showed up with the car.

1. After about 15 minutes he started to tell me what was wrong with my car and that I didn't advise him that it had a minor fender denter - in 2000 when new by 1st owner. Can't even tell if not for Carfax and I remindd him that I did give him the VIN to check it out, sent him 15 pictures and a full page description of the car including all I know. Continued to point out that the car was not as "clean" as he expected. I knew I was going to walk at that point.

2. What he did not say, is why he did not tell me that the Mazerati had obvious work done on the front end. I know cars, although no expert, but a novice can point to the following on minimal observation:
- Both headlights were loose to the touch with the gasket seals easily pulled free with my finger.
- With the hood up, the sheet metal of the front end is not evenly attached on both sides - hard to describe - but not symetrical. The bolts along the front end (under the hood) were clearly removed as the paint was mostly off and there were paint flakes on some of them - as what would happen when putting them back in.

- Also, when they weren't looking, took a pic in the shop of multiple cans of "colored wax" - This was a red flag for me.

3. They had also stated that the car had very few rock chips. The front end was covered - This would not have been an issue for me but demonstrated that they were not forth rite.

He finally said that he did not think he wanted to go through with the trade.

I said thanks for wasting my day and promptly left.

So, back in the market. Prefer silver,gray black GT (maybe F1), '02 or '03 with under 40k miles.

Going to proceed to sell my 911 privately for now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
1st Maserati

Well that stinks! Why not go to your Maserati dealer tell them what you are looking for and let them find it! That way you wil have the dealer behind the car,and you can get the new factory used car warrenty. Yes you will pay a little more, but the peace of mind is worth it. I would also stick with the 6MT. Less problems in the long run and more fun. True there are less of them out there. I had to look long and hard for my 2003 Coupe GT. You will also have the dealers help with car history and window sticker. Good luck,
Ron:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey Ramp,

I have been tossing around the idea of selling my '02 Coupe CC before the winter. It's got about 28K on it, PM me and I'll give you my number and we can talk if you're interested. I'm in Chicago.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that stinks! Why not go to your Maserati dealer tell them what you are looking for and let them find it! That way you wil have the dealer behind the car,and you can get the new factory used car warrenty. Yes you will pay a little more, but the peace of mind is worth it. I would also stick with the 6MT. Less problems in the long run and more fun. True there are less of them out there. I had to look long and hard for my 2003 Coupe GT. You will also have the dealers help with car history and window sticker. Good luck,
Ron:)
Ron - was unaware that the dealers would help find an '02-'03.

Started out wanting the 6MT but as they are few, have been considering the CC -which would help with the wife factor.

Is the issue with the CC's one of reliability only ? I'm not sure I would like having to keep both hands on the wheel and remember which gear I'm in - with manuals, I know instinctively by the position of the shift handle.

Perhaps this issue calls for a new thread ??

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think it is some what reliability. But for me I just think if your not going on the race track why CC. As far as the wife factor, I don't think that should make you go eather way. It's your car. Cluthch wear is higher on the CC as well as F1 pumps ect. It's a neat car either way. Take your time and get what you really want

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love driving a stick - but living in NY, Long Island stop and go, it does get played out - and I sometimes take my sedan simply b/c I know I'm going to hit traffic and don't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love driving a stick ... stop and go, it does get played out - and I sometimes take my sedan simply b/c I know I'm going to hit traffic and don't want to deal with it.
In that case I would not recommend the CC over the GT. Coming from Europe where most people drive a stick I don't understand what the problem is with a stick in traffic anyway,. As far as wives go: if they do not know how to drive a stick they should be kept far away from either car anyway. FWIW.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had my GS since August and have had some problems hitting and maintaining speed. Not the car's fault, more with the relative lack of open space. Have reached 120 once, 110 a few times, but you always need to slow it down soon thereafter.

I initially looked at a nice GS at FM of LI, while I was considering someone else took it. I turned out finding the car I really wanted on the west coast and bought it from FM of Silicon Valley, shipping was a little extra but worth it. The sales mgr on LI told me he was practically begging GS owners to turn their cars in, but said everyone was waiting for their 360 or 430, a tale I've heard elsewhere. Anyway, I bought the SF car and still haven't heard from the LI dealer, but maybe they didn't think I was really buying a car.....

IMHO this car is worth travelling for. If you need to head to DC or Boston from NY, do it. - I think there are a couple of cars there. I'm in the UK much of the time and believe it or not bought mine without having physically seen the car, but I was on the phone and email with FM Silicon Valley every day for 2 weeks. And definitely check maserati.com for pre-owned cars, the dealers are less likely to hold trashed cars and may (like the LI people) know what issues exist with cars for sale by owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts