Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So coming up to 4 weeks of owning my 05 QP, and I was driving to pick up my son. Sitting in a line of traffic on PCH, i flick into 1st to pull away when the lights change, and the dash lights up with 'transmission failure', engine dies and I'm stuck. Afternoon rush hour, no-one stopping, dead in the water.

Then the inevitable happens. BANG! 18yr old in a Jeep hits me at about 15-24mph (who knows, it happened in a flash).

So, had the QP flat-bedded home after exchanging details (she was insured at least), and will call Auto Gallery tomorrow to get it sorted out.

The damage doesn't look bad except that it must be pretty significant as the trunk latch is a good 1.5" forward of the trunk lid and the trunk floor feels buckled. Given how hard she hit, I'm surprised it doesn't look worse, even though i fear it's a big job.

On the transmission side, does the failure light always mean clutch gone, or are there other reasons?

And at least I still have my Carrera4 to use (only just listed it for sale) to keep me on the road.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
She might be cute

but one thing for sure, she's going to be broke for a long time..

After the insurance company pays for this and her rates go up... Ali, you better break out the wallet!!!

I sure am glad nobody was hurt, cars can be fixed, people can't... I hope the QP get's fixed soon and I would bet the clutch overheated in traffic and that caused the light to come on...

·
Registered
744 Posts
What a bummer (literally)

I am sorry to hear about that.

Every time that I drive around town, I have a paranoid feeling that the same thing is going to happen to me (or that someone will run a red, or turn in to me, or T-Bone me etc. etc.).

That's the downside to owning something really unique.

·
Registered
793 Posts
As an 05 you should be covered by warranty,

I believe the clutch is not covered under warranty? It's considered a consumable, no?

Bummer about the accident. Find out if she was on her cell phone at the time. May work towards a "wreckless" charge even though she "wrecked" your car.

Make sure you don't suffer any ailments as a result of the impact as it can take up to 2 years for an injury to surface.

Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Transmission issue probably F1 pump.

Don't tell your wife you were banged by an 18 year old girl. :)

Sorry to hear about this, the times my car has left me stuck in traffic it is a scary feeling being worried about being hit from behind.

·
Registered
102 Posts
sorry to hear but at least no injuries. My wife experienced an engine failure or transmission failure light ( can't remember) which shut the car down also in rush hour. thankfully nothing hit her. this was in our 2005 QP and fault turned out to be a loose sensor (related to the gas pedal i think) Was towed and easily repaired.

On the clutch issue, i am on the 3rd clutch in 11k as 1st was replaced at no cost around 4k due to my arguing this was unacceptable, the 2nd clutch was fried by the driver of the flatbed taking car away for service and again was replaced free.

Stuart

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
...it is a scary feeling being worried about being hit from behind.
That's your flashbacks from prison, Glenn... ;-)

The only time I've had similar stress is when I've been in stop-and-go traffic, in neutral, in the "dead man's zone" of speed between where the transmission will and won't engage first gear. You actually need to hit the brakes to get into first, oddly enough.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I believe the clutch is not covered under warranty? It's considered a consumable, no?

Bummer about the accident. Find out if she was on her cell phone at the time. May work towards a "wreckless" charge even though she "wrecked" your car.

Make sure you don't suffer any ailments as a result of the impact as it can take up to 2 years for an injury to surface.

Hope all goes well.

Clutch is not covered, but F1 pump is. He didn't list mileage, but it sounds early for clutch failure, even with the F1 system.

Eric

·
Registered
695 Posts
That's your flashbacks from prison, Glenn... ;-)

The only time I've had similar stress is when I've been in stop-and-go traffic, in neutral, in the "dead man's zone" of speed between where the transmission will and won't engage first gear. You actually need to hit the brakes to get into first, oddly enough.
I had the same issue and almost got rear-ended by a tanker truck. Thumbs up to the trucker for being alert. Since I was the one to put the car in neutral, it was definitely a stupid move on my part. I won't put the car in neutral now - better to wear a clutch than cause a wreck.

Back on topic: I got the yellow tranny once and yes, the car would not re-engage gear, but the engine never shut down. Sorry to learn this resulted in an accident.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is interesting that exactly the same thing happend to me this weekend, sans the the accident. FM tells me that my clutch was overheating?? But they still have not confirmed this. Does it not feel great when you have ten cars blowing their horns at you and you are sitting in a 100K plus car!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would be just a lil :mad: but lets face it. It's a complex mechanical, electrical machine essentially and as such Mr. Murphy has plenty of opportunity to prove to you that any thing that can go wrong will go wrong.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
104 Posts
Glad your ok... The same failure happened to me like 2 weeks ago its not your Transmission its your f1 pump it has failed. I know this for sure and when it fails it sends a signal to your computer and the car doesn't start but no biggies you will be covered, If you weren't I would send you to my guy he got mine rebuilt for 700.00 but your good man don't worry. If you have any questions pm me

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
121 Posts
The phone thing's a good idea...

Hope all goes well.
I got f**ked from behind last year. My brand new Alfa Romeo 159, her sh*tty 20 yr old Subaru. And yes. 17 years old and on the phone. Didn't touch her brakes at all and hit me square on at 40mph! And the car in front of me was a Merc E55 AMG. I told her it could have been worse. She didn't get it. Good to see it wasn't anything more serious for you and I hope the transmission gets sorted.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I got f**ked from behind last year. My brand new Alfa Romeo 159, her sh*tty 20 yr old Subaru. And yes. 17 years old and on the phone. Didn't touch her brakes at all and hit me square on at 40mph! And the car in front of me was a Merc E55 AMG. I told her it could have been worse. She didn't get it. Good to see it wasn't anything more serious for you and I hope the transmission gets sorted.
WAIT!

Was SHE cute?

Answer me guys!

:D

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
121 Posts
Cute?

WAIT!

Was SHE cute?

Answer me guys!

:D
No. Not cute. Not even close to cute. In fact, she was in very similar condition to her car - before the crash. Not too disimilar to after just a lot redder in the face and wetter in the eyes! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts