Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, my name is tim.

i have started to do research on buying a gransport or coupe.

i really like the mc victory. (which is the way i am leaning)

have many questions. but just lurking on here has answered many.

is there a tech/repair section on here?

also wonder about the daily cost of ownership. such as maintance etc etc.

i currently have a 2000 corvette hard top, with many mods. a 1994 miata.
and a chevy 2500 durmax diesel truck.

also i am surprised at how young most of you are on here. i am 37 so i guess i am old :(...

here are some pics.

·
Registered
681 Posts
leadfoot_mf said:
hello everyone, my name is tim.

here are some pics.
Hi Tim, pleasure to meet you my name is Kevin Calvert. Welcome to the website. We are all happy to answer any of your questions.

i have started to do research on buying a gransport or coupe.

i really like the mc victory. (which is the way i am leaning)
The MC Victory is a sweet car but really make sure the differences are worth the extra money to you, for me a base model coupe was fine. I bought a 2006 Coupe for $70,500, sure I don't have all the fancy options but I am happy, the extra $40,000 was put to much better use than some fancy carbon fiber or skyhook suspension. But hey, that's just me.

have many questions. but just lurking on here has answered many.

is there a tech/repair section on here?
Not yet, we really don't see the need for one, this forum isn't active enough yet to start breaking into too many sections. I came from supraforums.com and ferrarichat.com so it took me a while to get used to posting everything in one section.

also wonder about the daily cost of ownership. such as maintance etc etc.
Very cheap cars to maintain, I owned a 2002 Spyder and 2006 Coupe at the moment. I daily drive my cars (I've driven my 06 Coupe 3000 miles in less than 50 days if that gives you an idea). I don't have any problems with mine besides maintenance.

The main problem to look out for is the F1 pump in the cambiocorsa model, it costs $1,000 to replace and another $1,000 in labor roughly, figure you'll need to replace this every 25k miles. Also budget in $3,800 for a clutch change every 15-20k miles. Other then that you may have a few small problems but overall these cars are RELIABLE! Don't listen to anyone who hasn't owned one, number one rule Tim ,remember that.

i currently have a 2000 corvette hard top, with many mods. a 1994 miata.
and a chevy 2500 durmax diesel truck.
Tons of us Maserati guys are coming from Vipers, Supras, and Corvettes with mods. Shops like MVP and Formula Dynamics are the go to guys for aftermarket mods, I'd be happy to help answer any questions if you have interest in modifying your car.

also i am surprised at how young most of you are on here. i am 37 so i guess i am old :(...
Geez gramps shouldn't you be out cashing your social security check. :) I'm just kidding.

I look forward to seeing you on here more Tim and I hope I can answer any other questions you have.

P.S. - Sweet pics of the Vette!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MVP said:
Very cheap cars to maintain, I owned a 2002 Spyder and 2006 Coupe at the moment. I daily drive my cars (I've driven my 06 Coupe 3000 miles in less than 50 days if that gives you an idea). I don't have any problems with mine besides maintenance.

The main problem to look out for is the F1 pump in the cambiocorsa model, it costs $1,000 to replace and another $1,000 in labor roughly, figure you'll need to replace this every 25k miles. Also budget in $3,800 for a clutch change every 15-20k miles. Other then that you may have a few small problems but overall these cars are RELIABLE! Don't listen to anyone who hasn't owned one, number one rule Tim ,remember that.

P.S. - Sweet pics of the Vette!
thanks

so what is the regular maintenance schedule? how much avg, how often?

wow about the price of mods i thought the corvette tax was high. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
leadfoot_mf said:
thanks

so what is the regular maintenance schedule? how much avg, how often?

wow about the price of mods i thought the corvette tax was high. :)
I don't have my service book in front of me so I may be off by 1 or 2k miles but you're looking at $700-$1,300/service and it's 6k/18k/32k/48k miles, don't remember the interval after that, but that should give you an idea of how often maintenance is needed.

Don't worry about mods, the Maserati aftermarket industry will be taking a huge turn this upcoming Spring, we plan on releasing a full line of performance products that are reasonably priced. We're planning on hitting 500hp without opening the engine up or adding superchargers/turbochargers.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Service Intervals

MVP said:
I don't have my service book in front of me so I may be off by 1 or 2k miles but you're looking at $700-$1,300/service and it's 6k/18k/32k/48k miles, don't remember the interval after that, but that should give you an idea of how often maintenance is needed.
When I recently brought my '02 CC to the dealer for its last under-warranty work (warranty expired 11/06), they told me I should do my "12,000 mile service" while I had the car there, since I was at 11,000 already. Without thinking about it, I agreed and I was charged $408 labor and $184 parts that service. It included a lot of "Inspect.... (one thing or another)" and an oil change. It was billed out as "Maserati 6,000 mile maintenance."

Was this legit? Or did I pay a lot of money for what was essentially an oil change? Is there a 12,000 mile service that is typically suggested?

That last "free" warranty visit actually cost me $1,454.45. Besides the $600 for the 12,000 mile deal, there was $135 for changing out the differential & gearbox oils, $110 for a power sterring flush, and $500 for a "2 year a/c service" which included replacement of the receiver dryer and a evac/recharge of the system. These services were recommended based upon years, not miles. Does this sound right?

I thought I wound up paying a lot of money for the work, some of which I wasn't anticipating, but I deferred to trusting my dealer. I just hope that trust wasn't misplaced. Reassurances - or the truth, if different - would be good to hear from folks more knowledgable than I.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Trident said:
When I recently brought my '02 CC to the dealer for its last under-warranty work (warranty expired 11/06), they told me I should do my "12,000 mile service" while I had the car there, since I was at 11,000 already. Without thinking about it, I agreed and I was charged $408 labor and $184 parts that service. It included a lot of "Inspect.... (one thing or another)" and an oil change. It was billed out as "Maserati 6,000 mile maintenance."

Was this legit? Or did I pay a lot of money for what was essentially an oil change? Is there a 12,000 mile service that is typically suggested?
Hmm if I recall correctly you deal with Central Florida which is a top notch dealer. There is not a factory recommended 12,000 mile service, it may be something that specific dealer recommends but I don't see why. You got an oil change which assuming your last one was at 6,000 miles you probably needed one and the inspection may have been unecesssary but it's nice to know everything is working as it should be. You paid a couple extra hundred bucks for a lot of peace of mind. I wouldn't say you got ripped off but to answer your question there is no 12,000 mile service.

·
Registered
35 Posts
MVP said:
Hmm if I recall correctly you deal with Central Florida which is a top notch dealer.
Actually, it was Tampa, not Orlando. Although I'm about 60 miles from Tampa and 120 from Orlando, I may start using the Orlando dealership. They seem much more FM oriented. Tampa is at Reeves Import Motorcars and I get the impression they're more interested in their Porsche dealership (not Ferrari at all and the Masers seem to be just an accessory line to the Porsches. Even the service dept works out of the Porsche shop). They're also big on VW.

I visited the Central Florida (Orlando) folks once, to check out an MC-V that I came close to buying. I had a much better feeling, there. Now that I'm OOW ("out of warranty"), I may look for a non-dealership local shop, if I can find one well-qualified. I think there may be one right near me - http://www.sarasotaferrariservice.com/index.htm - but I'm not sure if they welcome Maseratis as well as Ferraris. I intend on finding out.

The work I described was done at the Tampa dealership.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Not unusual to see listings like the 2006 Gransport w/ 2750 miles for $74,895 on Autotrader.com. That's pretty much what I'm looking for when I'm ready next month. I think that's GREAT pricing for a Gransport with over 3 years or warranty left. Hey Kevin, that's only about $4500 more than you paid for the coupe! I wonder what the history is....

Buzz

·
Registered
160 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
Not unusual to see listings like the 2006 Gransport w/ 2750 miles for $74,895 on Autotrader.com.
20-25% depreciation per year is about right. However, Kevin's GT has a cup holder, which is priceless :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Trident said:
Actually, it was Tampa, not Orlando. Although I'm about 60 miles from Tampa and 120 from Orlando, I may start using the Orlando dealership. They seem much more FM oriented. Tampa is at Reeves Import Motorcars and I get the impression they're more interested in their Porsche dealership (not Ferrari at all and the Masers seem to be just an accessory line to the Porsches. Even the service dept works out of the Porsche shop). They're also big on VW.

I visited the Central Florida (Orlando) folks once, to check out an MC-V that I came close to buying. I had a much better feeling, there. Now that I'm OOW ("out of warranty"), I may look for a non-dealership local shop, if I can find one well-qualified. I think there may be one right near me - http://www.sarasotaferrariservice.com/index.htm - but I'm not sure if they welcome Maseratis as well as Ferraris. I intend on finding out.

The work I described was done at the Tampa dealership.
Yeah, I was going to say I don't see any of the Central Florida guys recommending a non existant service.

I also PM'd you the recommendations I meant to a while back. I got the same recommendation from everybody just forgot to PM you back, sorry!

Not unusual to see listings like the 2006 Gransport w/ 2750 miles for $74,895 on Autotrader.com. That's pretty much what I'm looking for when I'm ready next month. I think that's GREAT pricing for a Gransport with over 3 years or warranty left. Hey Kevin, that's only about $4500 more than you paid for the coupe! I wonder what the history is....
I don't know to be honest with you, I'll call them tommorow if I have a free minute because the deal sounds way to good to be true. $79k seems to be where the car should be at, there's also no pictures possible that it's not perfect or has been in a previous accident. Hard to say but that's either a smoking deal or there's a story behind it.

I think the Gransports at $79-90k are the average, the one for $74k seems to be the only one (minus that high mileaged 05 on ebay).

Either way I wanted to give the GT a try since my Spyder was cambiocorsa so Gransport was out of the picture and it's the first brand new car I've ever owned in my life so that had some value in it for me.

Regards,
Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts