Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how the non-Skyhook suspension rides? My dealer has a "stripped down" Coupe GT I'm interested in. I will go drive it, but I'm interested in feedback.

Particularly, when compared to Skyhook, is it between the "normal" and "sport" settings or softer than both...

...and if not up-to-par, are there any aftermarket dampers that are a reasonable replacement?

·
Registered
773 Posts
well here goes $$

boy O boy any change is going to require lots and lots of $$$. what are your future use plans for car,

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dear Rick,

I've gleaned from previous threads that the non-skyhook cars ride like their counterparts when in the sport setting. I've not driven a sky-hook equipped car myself, so I can't comment with certainty. I think it was Kevin at MVP who posted that prior thread.

With regard to aftermarket suspension components for non-skyhook equipped cars, the pickins are slim. Their is a German suspension manufacturer who makes a set of adjustable coil-overs. They are KW automotive. Last I checked, a set was about $2,600.00. These would give you the opportunity to both stiffen the suspension and lower the car.

Lowering non-skyhook equipped cars is apparently impossible without change of equipment.

Again, Kevin at MVP was toying with the idea of having some sport springs manufacturered, intending to both lower the car and stiffen the suspension. I don't know whether or to what extent that idea caught on, but there was interest in such a product among forum members.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll go test drive it this week. Use of the car will be primarily as a "driven-hard" daily driver plus occasional track time.

My 2003 CC is nearing the end of its warranty period, and I'm looking at alternatives. Interestingly, my dealer also has a GS MC Victory, but not in blue! There apparently were a few black ones made as well...

Going to check that out as well...

·
Registered
339 Posts
black victory

Algar has a black metalic (not sure the exact code) with the tan seude interior, it's beautiful. If I could swing it I'd buy it for those seats alone!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I have a non-Skyhook car. I put about 100 miles on a Skyhook car where the deal "fell through" before I got my current car. I think the standard suspension is stiffer (like the Sport mode), but there is still more body roll and dive than I would like. I have not tracked a Skyhook Maser for comparison. I have looked into KW suspension, but too expensive right now.

http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_...0+GT&level=3&hersteller_1=MASERATI&gruppe=all

·
Registered
133 Posts
Recently had the chance to get some track time with a GS and with a non-Skyhook Coupe. The non-Skyhook rides fine, like a regular coupe in Sports Mode. The real difference is the body role and the break dive and acceleration squad. You can really notice the difference on the track. For unexperienced drivers the Skyhook is easier to control on track, for experienced drivers the non-Skyhook is just as fast and can be "thrown around" more aggressively using gas and brake steering.

I kinda liked the non-Skyhook for the level of "fun" it allowed on track. For timed runs the GS with Skyhook can not be beat though.

I am sure you won't notice the difference 95 % out of the time, if the remaining 5 % are worth the extra money for you - you should get a Skyhook equipped car. (I wouldn't want one without it)

Have fun selecting!

·
Registered
681 Posts
After driving both I would rather have a car without skyhook.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got mine "stripped down" Coupe GT a month ago after testing both the GT and GS version. Both cars handle fine and feel the same on normal freeway and city driving. I have no problem with stick shift, so the decision was easy for me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
KW coilovers..

there is a local dealer of KW who offered me a set for $2295, and was willing to lower the price on a group buy.

I have no experience with KW, but they do appear well made. What I like is that the Spring is Linear, as opposed to a Progressive rate. So lowering the vehicle the ride quality should remain more constant vs a Progressive spring.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ciao Maseratisti,

Well, how about a poll then? We did a group buy with Eurotech through Kevin at MVP a while back, and we had less than 25 I think. I don't know what kind of numbers the KW retailer may require, but there is certainly demand to lower and stiffen the suspension of our non-Skyhook equipped cars. Consider me interested!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do you think KW kit is only for a non-Skyhook Coupé? Why not?
I want to stiffer my car and to reduce the body-roll, I think the KW seems a good idea. KW have a very good press for aftermarket suspension...

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think the KW can be used on Skyhook cars as well..

Swiss-Maserati said:
Do you think KW kit is only for a non-Skyhook Coupé? Why not?
I want to stiffer my car and to reduce the body-roll, I think the KW seems a good idea. KW have a very good press for aftermarket suspension...

Someone can correct me, but I believe any vehicle can use the KW. If you have Skyhook, then you would lose the adjustment of SPORT or NON SPORT

·
Registered
681 Posts
E-mail for interest on a group-buy set-up. I will then see what type of prices I can put together based on the amount of interest.

[email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts