Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My QP Sport has developed a squeaky fanbelt (9000 miles). On my old van I just used to apply a little dielectric grease to the underside of the belt and that cured it, so I tried it on the Maser which solved the problem for a while.

At the Detroit auto show, I mentioned this to the Maserati booth, and they indicated they were familiar with this problem, and that there was a "fix" for this. When I asked what that was, or what caused the problem, they were very cagey / secretive. I wasn't sure if they didn't want to tell me because the fix is so simple I could do it (which I would to avoid having to go to dealer!) and or they wanted to do the job and get paid for it (who wouldn't, so I can't blame them for that, that's their business) and/or if there is an issue that Maserati would like to keep quiet e.g. a known problem with the tensioner, or type of belt used etc.

Has anywone else had a squeaky fan belt and would anyone know what causes it or what the fix is?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
357 Posts
There's a good chance that the sales folks at the auto show booth didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Put a new belt on it and check the idler pulley for play.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Serpentine Belt Squeal

Had the same problem on my 05 Spyder, especially when the car had sat for a week or more. Dealer looked at it and said it needed a serpentine belt, $350 out the door, when they started the work they realized only an adjustment was needed, no new belt. No cost to me. Problem is resolved.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The old solution....

was to put a little bacon grease on the inside edge and the outside edge of the belt, just a little, and the squeek goes away...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sales guys?

There's a good chance that the sales folks at the auto show booth didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Put a new belt on it and check the idler pulley for play.
I wish that were the case, but they were actually service guys! Thinking about it, maybe they were just saying, "We know this can be fixed, but we would have to check it out first to diagnose the cause how to fix it." If that were the case though, you wonder why they just didn't say that rather than be so vague!

·
Registered
357 Posts
It seems unusual to have service guys at a carshow, but there it is. Get a new belt and save the old one for an emergency spare.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ask your dealer to perform bulletin number 200722. It involves adjusting the mounting point for the alternator to address a misalignment concern. Depending on the severity it may also require a new belt but simply installing a new belt will only result in the noise returning.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Auxiliary Belt Noise

Ask your dealer to perform bulletin number 200722. It involves adjusting the mounting point for the alternator to address a misalignment concern. Depending on the severity it may also require a new belt but simply installing a new belt will only result in the noise returning.

Best of luck.
Thanks very much! Based on your information, I checked the Maserati Techinfo Bookstore. As you note, the issue and a fix for it is outlined in Bulletin no. 200722.

"Auxiliary Belt Noise TI M138 ALL 232"

I am not sure from the numbers if it applies to the QP but I will mention it at my next service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts