Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Crew

I have a 2002 Spyder with appx 8500 miles on it, obviously I don't drive it often but last weekend when I was just checking the oil and warming it up, I noticed a noise coming from the front of the engine, sounds like a pulley or tensioner. Its quite difficult to easily identify specifically which one, so I thought I would ask the community here if anyone knows of a possible "usual suspect" with this type of issue? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
You posted a picture, not the sound. Sound recording would help. Also any codes, was any work done on the engine recently and generally more information. These engines tend to be reliable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No codes are coming up...its def coming from the outside of the engine so its a pulley or tentioner. I was just wondering if there was one of these that tends to need replacement more often than others.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Use a breaker bar or ratchet with a piece of pipe extension and a 15mm socket to move the tensioner. Then spin the individual sheaves by hand to see if there is any resistance or roughness. The usual culprits are the tensioner and idler pulleys, but the power steering pump, A/C compressor clutch and alternator are also possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just replaced my tensioner and idler pulleys. Noise was a constant tick-tick-tick…

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks RJ...thats a good idea, going to try that this weekend.

Don...on mine its not a tick its def some sort of "resistance whine" (if that makes sense) I hope you can get it figured out, may I asked where you got the tensioner and idle pulley and price please?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks RJ...thats a good idea, going to try that this weekend.

Don...on mine its not a tick its def some sort of "resistance whine" (if that makes sense) I hope you can get it figured out, may I asked where you got the tensioner and idle pulley and price please?
I had a local Indy shop do the work. Not sure where they sourced the parts. Parts (including new belt) and labor was $800.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok found the tensioner pulley, the belt pulley and the serpentine belt all brand new OEM with shipping for $231.00. So much less than I was afraid of...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure, here ya go. Nice people there also...I would recommend confirming with the the part number for your VIN (That's what I did)

www.scuderiacarparts.com

Belt Tensioner Pulley w/Bracket Part #172537 $89.50

Belt Tensioner Idler Pulley Part #233644 $71.36

Serpentine Belt Part #200738 $31.14

These are the list prices, I was given a industry discount off of these prices.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Without hearing it it is hard, but In my experience with other cars it is usually the tensioner pulley / idler arm. You can at least take the belt off and before you replace everything start the car...briefly and listen and then shut it down quickly so we dont overheat. You will probably notice no sound anymore, so either the idler arm tension pully or alternator, but idler tension pully is a better guess. You will tell us later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Gialllo, yes I will report back after the parts arrive and I install them. Thanks to everyone that contributed!

·
Registered
365 Posts
You stated 8500 miles. However, assuming you meant 85,000 miles, you are probably doing the right thing by replacing all of them anyway.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wow! With such low miles there shouldn’t be much wear on anything. Maybe it is just asking for some exercise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts