Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
yesterday, I had an issue where I was unable to reverse out of a parking spot. I had no problem coming out of the garage. No problem reversing out of an earlier parking spot. I hear it trying to go into reverse but it doesn’t, it just goes to N. When I turn it off, then to number two position on the ignition, it selects reverse with no problem. Is this a fluid issue? I do have a couple of drips on my garage floor. Also, if I continue to try to get reverse, I get the transmission failure that goes away when I turn the ignition off then on again. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

3,469 Posts
A fluid issue really isn't gonna just affect reverse....If you are getting a transmission failure warning then you'll have a fault in the system..You need to have someone with the proper software read the TCU faults...Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did a battery disconnect for 15 minutes and it went into reverse after reconnected. It also said transmission fluid low on the dash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Apologies. Thank you, Jason! Is it Pentosin 11s, or is that for the F1system? What do you recommend for transmission fluid?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
If you jack up the car and slide under it from the rear, with the transaxle in your face, you can reach up with your right arm and slowly feel for the reservoir cap. The first thing you do is find the cap. Then grab a cloth and wipe the area down clean. You DO NOT want any sediment dropping into the reservoir. Open your driver door to allow the pump to prime. Then climb under and use a CLEAN HAND and feel for depth with your index finger. With your second knuckle bent over the reservoir opening, you should feel fluid on your finger tip.

If you are low, use a standard plastic fluid pump to fill using the Pentosin fluid Jason recommended.

Where is your leak in relation to the car? Under driver seat? Toward rear?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Interesting. Check the quick release on the clutch line. That's back there behind the emergency brake adjustment (between the exhaust) and in front and below the transaxle.

The lines are under lots of pressure so typically leaks are fast and huge. The thrust bearing is known to leak slowly but that's further toward the front. There are lower pressure lines leading from the reservoir that can leak. Let us know what you find.

3,469 Posts
No, you shouldn't have to remove anything..Like I was saying it is gonna kinda suck on the ground..I personally would just pay a local mechanic to put it on a lift and top it off...You don't need to know Maserati to top it off...Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, Jason. I figured it out. I had to spin around and tweak my arm to access it. I can put my finger in as far as possible and not touch the fluid, so I assume it’s very low.

3,469 Posts
No problem, but follow my logic here..After you go through the ordeal of getting fluid in there then you still have a leak that needs to be located and most likely will require the car put in the air and washed off to determine the source and come up with a plan of repair...That is how I would do it, but it is just a suggestion again...Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jason- I totally agree! I will probably have to replace some hoses. There is a curved one that’s very stiff, but not leaking. I’d like to replace them all anyway, and make sure the reservoir is not leaking.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
All the hoses are stiff. That's normal. Don't waste money with all new (or used) hoses. They don't fail often. An exception would be if one is resting up against the axle/CV, which happens if they are not strapped properly, but that would be a huge, sudden leak. Again, typically, unless it is leaking at the banjo bolt, the leak will spray everywhere and you'll have a mess. I would do what Jason said and follow the leaks to the highest point. When they spray, they can be a bit hard to find but a slow leak shouldn't be that difficult.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts