Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know NAVTEQ updates their stuff WAY quicker. My wife's 2001 Bimmer has a 2007 update from NAVTEQ for the nav discs. There has been a LOT of construction on the highway not far from my house, and the Maser's 2005 discs are WAY off. Dealer says there are no updates, but I'm wondering if there is a way to hack the Bimmer ones?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Steve:

If you find a way, let us know! For those of us with the "older" Coupes, our CD's have not been updated since 2003! I asked Roberto at F&MoS just after I bought my car from him when updates would be out. He said he had heard "maybe" the first part of 2008.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
The first rule of the Maserati Navigation system is "don't use it". The second rule is to refer to rule #1. I hate the built-in nav system for many reasons, too numerous to detail, but the big issues were horrible place searching (in the USA, you need to enter a township name, not the city!), pitiful on-screen display of map data (only names the road you're on!), and outdated maps.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you get a Garmin Nuvi. It is INFINITELY better than the Maserati nav system. It also gives you a workable handsfree phone system via Bluetooth. Comes standard with a suction cup windshield mount and rechargeable battery, AC charger, and automobile power cord. The nice thing with the battery is that it will run about 3-5 hours without a cord, so using it on short-to-medium trips doesn't require a cord.

I travel everywhere with mine, and added European maps via an SD card.

You can easily find one for under $500, and can add Europe (or North America, if you're in Europe) for about $200. It also offers a traffic receiver option (standard on the higher-end Nuvis).

Do yourself a favor and throw away your navigation CDs. The other added benefit is that you get an extra CD player slot, one that you don't need to open the trunk to change!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Will other Navtech CDs work in the QP

I recently bought a 2005 QP (love the car) but the seller did not have the navigation CDs. Will other NavTech Cds work in the QP, or am I stuck having to buy replacements from the dealer for big $$$? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I recently bought a 2005 QP (love the car) but the seller did not have the navigation CDs. Will other NavTech Cds work in the QP, or am I stuck having to buy replacements from the dealer for big $$$? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
As previously mentioned, don't bother. The Nav system is terrible, and you'll have a much better experience with a Garmin Nuvi. In fact, you can get a Nuvi 370 with both North American *and* European maps preloaded for about $380 USD on Amazon.com right now. Highly recommended. I travel with mine everywhere. It runs for about 4 hours on batteries, comes with a car charger, and can charge off a USB cable. Also acts as a Bluetooth handsfree system if you want it to.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Garmin is a very good unit and I also recommend the TomTom. Both units are upgradeable via the Internet and maps are very reasonably priced.

The higher priced units will announciate the street name for you (handy for those of us with less than perfect eyesight) and you can use the units to find specific points of interest (ie restaurant or gas station) in addition to a specific street or address.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate that the factory GPS unit is a bit deficient relative to the standalone models that one can purchase today, but for my needs, I think it will be adequate and I don't want to clutter the interior with gadgets hanging from the windshield. Anyone from the east coast have a California Nav CD that they would be willing to part with?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Will you all JUST LISTEN TO RICK BULLOTTA!! ;)

The Nuvi can be hidden near the rearview mirror, in the corner of the windshield, or even next to the console. It really is not much in the way at all. And you can use it in all your vehicles or take it with you and use in a rental car if you need to travel.

Geshaghi I like your collection. You can use the Nuvi in all of those old bangers too and even put in the pocket of your motorcycle jacket :p

·
Registered
357 Posts
Everybody sees the advice on Garmin. Got it. Check. Roger that.

However, since the car DOES have a rudimentary nav system installed, there are those who would like to have it work. I have an older Coupe without nav enabled. I figure that if Maserati does, in fact, get disk updates in '08 I will install the GPS antenna and suffer paying the dealer to put in a CD and enable the unit. Hey, I already have a portable nav unit that rides in the wife's car. I just hate having all those buttons not work. Maybe it'll come in handy one day. I don't even like nav.... i'd rather look at a map before I leave.

Now, if we could just get the phone to work! My RAZR has a sim card and will work in any country in the world. Surely there must be some way to get the phone in the Maserati to work in the USA.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Everybody sees the advice on Garmin. Got it. Check. Roger that.

However, since the car DOES have a rudimentary nav system installed, there are those who would like to have it work. I have an older Coupe without nav enabled. I figure that if Maserati does, in fact, get disk updates in '08 I will install the GPS antenna and suffer paying the dealer to put in a CD and enable the unit. Hey, I already have a portable nav unit that rides in the wife's car. I just hate having all those buttons not work. Maybe it'll come in handy one day. I don't even like nav.... i'd rather look at a map before I leave.

Now, if we could just get the phone to work! My RAZR has a sim card and will work in any country in the world. Surely there must be some way to get the phone in the Maserati to work in the USA.
AFAIK, the electronics needed for the GSM phone are not provided in US-destination coupes/GS's - not sure about the QP's. But the Garmin does have a bluetooth hands free system built in... ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
196 Posts
AFAIK, the electronics needed for the GSM phone are not provided in US-destination coupes/GS's - not sure about the QP's. But the Garmin does have a bluetooth hands free system built in... ;-)
Maserati used to mention on its website, in the car configurator section, that the GSM was not available in the US. Coupe nor QP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Checking with Navteq

I have a friend at Navteq checking for map updates. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't matter now. I updated the system with a Kenwood nav system and life is MUCH better. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Doesn't matter now. I updated the system with a Kenwood nav system and life is MUCH better. :)
I am glad you found a better system, but if any one has additional information on updates, please post!!

I am curious however, as to how the Kenwood system integrates into the Maser system, or is it a stand alone unit like the Garmen?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know how to set up your phone in an 06 QP? Got the car with missing nab CDs and tire compressor manual and anything else a dealership could pawn off on eBay. I hate having all the phone buttons and not being able to use them. The screen says tele. off but doesn't give you an option to turn it on?!. Also are there any nav update CDs that would work for this model? Btw it's an executive if that makes any difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts