Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my '07 Ocean Blue Metallic QP ExecGT for 1 year. and right after getting it, had the intermittent rattle on cold start up, so i came here and got educated about this issue which i did not know about before buying the car. I read everything here written by members and vendors like Jason at Enos and even talked to a few dealers etc, then met a mechanic locally that is a mechanic on the Ferrari F1 formula team out of Atlanta and rebuilds the motors, but before that was a Maserati and Ferrari certified mechanic working at dealerships, including our local one before this was closed. Originally i considered doing the full variator replacement, and i may still order the upgraded replacements while they are available, but i chose for now to do the cam caps check valves only.

So anyway i was able to track down the shop that developed the check valve fix for Ferrari and Maserati, and was the exclusive contract to do these for them until they defaulted on that contract so now he does this direct with the public.
I recently sent these out and reinstalled them - TEM Performance is the shop, Napa California. The price was reasonable, were done in a day and shipped back to me in 2 days. I had the beginning of start up rattle on driver side only when sitting for a day or more, no codes or other issues. I can report that i now have ZERO rattle on start up whether hot or cold, one hour or one day. its been a week since completing the work, car has set up to 3 days and then restarted with no rattle.

My advice is if you start to have the rattle at all do this before it causes harm and wear to the variators and you are forced into doing the full variator replacement. I would say even if you don't have the rattle, and you have not done this, do it now preventively.
i can post some pictures if anyone is interested but this is not hard, if you have any experience in working on motors at all, and understand what you are doing. Removing the plastic covers from the engine compartment, and the wipers and cowl then the front air intake box, its all pretty accessible. I also did the belts and all the pullys and tensioner due to some squeeking and the belts needed it anyway. But i probably spent less than $800 for the cam cap work, belts pullys, tensioner, seals, and just my time. oh and i was able to get a new underside front splash guard/shield as well and this is all done and back together. I have all the tools i needed . but all straight forward here. in fact it was easier than when i did the VVT solenoids and timing chain and oil pump service on my etc truck and my Jag.

Phil

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm glad your startup rattle noise is gone and you were able to do the work yourself. However, it seems like a lot of work to open up the engine and NOT replace the variators while you are there. This is one of those jobs where you would do as much as you can to save labor costs down the road. For example, on mine they also replace the cam gaskets, spark plug seals, front main seal, belts while they had it torn apart. These parts are not very expensive, but the labor costs to redo them later is what is expensive.
I try to do as much DIY as possible, but after reading about it, I definitely did not feel comfortable doing this myself. Obviously, labor costs on your project were not an issue since you were doing it yourself. Congrats on being able to do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, - i didnt do the variators -1. i wanted to see if the rattle was cured by the cam cap check valve and 2. i would have had to pull the front engine cover/timing chain cover. to do the rest and yes i was right there, and i will do that, maybe in a year or so . yes i did all the other seals and i did plugs etc too while there. and you are right its not that expensive on parts, its 90% labor that drives up the cost of this job.

·
Registered
659 Posts
yeah the caps themselves aren't that bad, best benefit is the valve cover gaskets getting a refresh before they leak.
variators are a much stiffer job, and i'd venture to say setting timing correctly takes it out of the realm of a normal DIY shade tree job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes but it’s not that complicated either, just depends on your level of experience. at some point i will do this and document it for others. i also did new VVT solenoids . got my plugs from FD, drove it to work today, such a great car . next up on my list is shocks/springs. i have a late ‘07 car and i have the skyhook system so not sure i want to stay with it or not, open to suggestions. FD has error canceling for their sport coil overs, but if there is a viable option to rebuild or replace the stock shock i’d do it. all my sensors etc work fine it just too soft. wonder if new springs alone would make enough of a difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you get the updated version of variators thst Jason and others pointed out are supposed to be a stronger spring return mechanism? looks good! how long would you say it took you to change out the
variators and put back in place and set timing? once you have that done its just closing it all back up again. how many miles on your motor? 35k on mine.
thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i'm a tech so i did a bunch of those years ago, i've likely fixed all the area problem cars by now. was likely 5 or 6 around town, don't expect to do this again unless some used purchases are made around here. i can't recall how long it took, but it was not a cheap job is all i can say definitively. the setting the timing part took a good bit, given the tight tolerances of specification. damn those dial indicators. parts ordered through maserati parts ought to be only the new updated variators.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had my '07 Ocean Blue Metallic QP ExecGT for 1 year. and right after getting it, had the intermittent rattle on cold start up, so i came here and got educated about this issue which i did not know about before buying the car. I read everything here written by members and vendors like Jason at Enos and even talked to a few dealers etc, then met a mechanic locally that is a mechanic on the Ferrari F1 formula team out of Atlanta and rebuilds the motors, but before that was a Maserati and Ferrari certified mechanic working at dealerships, including our local one before this was closed. Originally i considered doing the full variator replacement, and i may still order the upgraded replacements while they are available, but i chose for now to do the cam caps check valves only.

So anyway i was able to track down the shop that developed the check valve fix for Ferrari and Maserati, and was the exclusive contract to do these for them until they defaulted on that contract so now he does this direct with the public.
I recently sent these out and reinstalled them - TEM Performance is the shop, Napa California. The price was reasonable, were done in a day and shipped back to me in 2 days. I had the beginning of start up rattle on driver side only when sitting for a day or more, no codes or other issues. I can report that i now have ZERO rattle on start up whether hot or cold, one hour or one day. its been a week since completing the work, car has set up to 3 days and then restarted with no rattle.

My advice is if you start to have the rattle at all do this before it causes harm and wear to the variators and you are forced into doing the full variator replacement. I would say even if you don't have the rattle, and you have not done this, do it now preventively.
i can post some pictures if anyone is interested but this is not hard, if you have any experience in working on motors at all, and understand what you are doing. Removing the plastic covers from the engine compartment, and the wipers and cowl then the front air intake box, its all pretty accessible. I also did the belts and all the pullys and tensioner due to some squeeking and the belts needed it anyway. But i probably spent less than $800 for the cam cap work, belts pullys, tensioner, seals, and just my time. oh and i was able to get a new underside front splash guard/shield as well and this is all done and back together. I have all the tools i needed . but all straight forward here. in fact it was easier than when i did the VVT solenoids and timing chain and oil pump service on my etc truck and my Jag.

Phil
Would love to see pictures!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
In addition to installing valves, work is also being done to change the oil channels. Because the new valve closes one of the oil channels with its wall.

Self-installation valve number:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If someone also wants to replace the Solenoids, I give information about a replacement part, that does not differ from the original, but costs five times cheaper.

Photo:
Right one is old original maserati part.
Left one is a new part.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for sharing. I got new solenoids even though i don't think that's really an issue, - also yes good point about the passage way machining, that has to be done as you said if the check valve is installed. Rich Olivier at TEM Performance out of Nappa CA USA is the one that developed this process for Ferrari and Maserati.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
zhukvanya, could You please share some information about Solenoids You posted?? Have You tried it ? Do they work same as originals??
i believe my VVT solenoid valves were fine, the issue is the lack of oil pressure being maintained even with good vvt valves, you have to get the machining and check valves installed in the cam caps. i had that done last summer and 5,000 miles later and 10 months, no rattle, even if the car has sat for several weeks. if caught early you ma my not need to do the variators, but if you wait too long , if the variators are worn then you have to do the whole thing. and that’s not a job for a weekend mechanic. i’ve done that full timing service on a 2007 Lincoln navigator and a 2004 Jaguar Xj vdp. i believe i could and was prepared to do it on this car, but with only 38kmiles (now driving the car regularly) i didn’t have to . i probably will , i bought the upgraded variators.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts