Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wouldn't mind if Maserati out-sourced their engines from famous engines companies like AMG. I had a chance to recently test-drive the new Aston Martin Vantage with AMG's famed bi-turbo V8 and performed like a champ, along with sounding terrific. VW/Audi also makes some terrific turbo V6 and turbo V8 engines powering the Panamera/Cayenne/Urus which would be a great match for Maserati's.
Ah, the new vantage. While I think the front of the GT is the best looking part. With the vantage it’s the rear. Looks sooo good. The back kind of reminds me of an F-type but even better.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Who wants an Italian sports car that doesn't make noise? Jason
Like it or not, electrification is inevitable and sooner or later, engines noises will be just artificial sound bites coming from your speakers.

Hell, if those damn liberals and Leftists had their way, we wouldn't even have cars.....or trains.....or airplanes....or cows. We would all be sitting around sipping on soy milk , smoking weed and singing Kumbaya. Lol.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
The ZF transmission is German, so it’s not as if the car is 100 % Italian anyway, but with the beating heart being its Ferrari engine that component for me makes a huge difference ( at an emotional level ) so no matter how much better an AMG, or comparable top end engine manufacturer may be replacing the Ferrari engine, to me that just erodes the brand and mistique even further where it’s going to become yet just another franken-car assembly.

As for electrification , I’m not not so sure anymore that’s the inevitable future ; Tesla’s sales and demand ( for every one of their models ) have plunged, , the company is on the verge of bankruptcy, and when Tesla coughs the entire e-car industry catches a cold. Other E cars companies are not particularly healthy either .. it may ultimately prove to be a short lived fad for tree huggers, more than anything else . The production of lithium batteries still leave a greater environmental adverse impact than the very long term projected benefits derived from the technology. Companies which promised to provide the infrastructure to support the e car industry are retrenching ( at least in the US ) so don’t be fooled by a few additional charging stations you may see pop up here and there . I may be proven wrong but I don’t think an electric Alfieri will sell anyway near enough to recoup the investment $$$ Maserati put into the model .

Then again, VW e-car orders are going crazy ..so maybe I’m just to biased to think clearly .. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I have to admit....a Ferrari sourced engine did influence my buying decision, I also think that keeping things Italian as much as possible has some bearing as well.
For sure! When I got my QP, I showed it to a friend who is a wealthy car nut... he has a Ferrari F430 (F-136 engine variant in there) and his jaw hit the ground when he found out how little I paid for my car. He stared under the hood and was honestly kind of butt-hurt about it, like I had found a shortcut to the good life and he paid full price. The Ferrari engine is a major element of the cars being so undervalued. If it didn't have that in there... the verdict might not be so clear that they are undervalued.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think the tone of the report is excessively negative. Done right this could be turned into a great opportunity for Maserati.
Actually, I am proud of the fact that the engines in both my Maserati cars are proper Maserati engines, designed and manufactured at Viale Ciro Menotti in Modena.

While it made perfect sense to concentrate the engine side of business at one place when both Maserati and Ferrari were part of Fiat, and then FCA, now that Ferrari has been spun off, it makes sense to re-assess the arrangement.

My concern is whether FCA has what it takes (especially funds and commitment) to develop a new range of engines with the potential to place Maserati as a top marque once again.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Actually, I am proud of the fact that the engines in both my Maserati cars are proper Maserati engines, designed and manufactured at Viale Ciro Menotti in Modena.

While it made perfect sense to concentrate the engine side of business at one place when both Maserati and Ferrari were part of Fiat, and then FCA, now that Ferrari has been spun off, it makes sense to re-assess the arrangement.

My concern is whether FCA has what it takes (especially funds and commitment) to develop a new range of engines with the potential to place Maserati as a top marque once again.
Yeah you have a Merak so... nice engine! I'd like a Bora myself but uh.... I can only afford a QP V, haha!

What's this about Ferrari being spun off... what did I miss? They are not part of FCA anymore?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah you have a Merak so... nice engine! I'd like a Bora myself but uh.... I can only afford a QP V, haha!

What's this about Ferrari being spun off... what did I miss? They are not part of FCA anymore?
Ferrari was spun off FCA through an IPO late 2015/early 2016. While the ownership of the company remains largely unchanged - the Agnelli family is still the largest owner group - it is no longer incorporated in FCA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
e-cars

As for electrification , I’m not not so sure anymore that’s the inevitable future ; Tesla’s sales and demand ( for every one of their models ) have plunged, , the company is on the verge of bankruptcy, and when Tesla coughs the entire e-car industry catches a cold. Other E cars companies are not particularly healthy either .. it may ultimately prove to be a short lived fad for tree huggers, more than anything else . The production of lithium batteries still leave a greater environmental adverse impact than the very long term projected benefits derived from the technology.

Keep in mind that 80-90% of the world's in-ground lithium reserves are located in three hostile/semi-hostile nations: China and Afghanistan (hostile in some ways) and Chile (semi-hostile in the the current president severely criticizes America and seems to favor the Venezuelan dictator).

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't mind if Maserati out-sourced their engines from famous engines companies like AMG. I had a chance to recently test-drive the new Aston Martin Vantage with AMG's famed bi-turbo V8 and performed like a champ, along with sounding terrific. VW/Audi also makes some terrific turbo V6 and turbo V8 engines powering the Panamera/Cayenne/Urus which would be a great match for Maserati's.

If I wanted a VW/Audi engine, I would buy one.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
19 Participants
sc00b
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing