Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, maybe someone knows about this one.

A friend of mine (Maser 2002 CC coupe owner) told me yesterday he wanted to enable the SatNav feature in his car (which he bought used and had no SatNav and no phone enabled) and he was not keen to look for aftermarket products, as he does not want to alter the interior looks.

I have not a clue as if this can be done, only thing I know is that on models up to 2004 (I think) the NIT is a Magneti Marelli Connect (the one on the QP is the Blaupunkt M139, and on the 4200 Spyder and Coupes post-2004 is a Becker-made unit, if I'm not wrong).

Given the NIT is a sealed unit, it could well be there is some plug-in chip, connector or whatever which would enable the SatNav (obviously you would need to hook an antenna) and maybe the phone. Possibly Mark (Minn Maserati) knows.

Any replies appreciated. Later,

Ed

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark. It seems the NAV is ALWAYS there but not the antenna? So plug-in an antenna and off you go? Sounds... hummm...

Thus, it confirms the NIT has everything, it's just a question of enabling it. That the NAV sucks it's another issue.

Ed

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah... music to the ears...

Before telling my friend to open the central armrest, do you know the type of GPS antenna / connector used (not the stock option) ?

Hope he can make it work.

Ed

·
Registered
835 Posts
Troesma said:
...the 4200 Spyder and Coupes post-2004 is a Becker-made unit, if I'm not wrong)...
same Magneti Marelli unit. Becker units are fitted in the grandsports.

requires software update performed at MNA to enable satNav.

Don't do it... too costly with minute benefit

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right. Some update on the issue.

We e-mailed one of Masers London dealers and were told they don't know (!) if they have the software to perform the NIT update/upgrade. Guess they asked the wrong dude inside the workshop, but man...

Anyway they seemed eager to provide a solution if possible, so we're going down there in a couple of days to check the situation in-situ.

In the meantime we've made some research. Combing the net found a FIAT owners group in France who have posted the NAVTEQ firmware update (to flash the NIT EPROM, btw made by Hitachi... we even got the programming manual...) for the MM Connect NAV+ which (after some further investigation) is the same as the one in the Coupe. BUT it is screen-tailored for the FIAT models, so a high-risk scenario here.

Stay tuned.

Ed

·
Registered
214 Posts
Were you able to get anywhere with this firmware update?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts