Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I've got an '02 Spyder. You can see my FD mods in my sig. I don't track at all.

How will the anti-sway bars help the cowl shake?

I'm very happy with this car and have had no problems at all other than slight shake.

Dan

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
744 Posts
I find it odd that Jeff would say that as I don't think he has tried a modded Spyder (at least since I last talked to him). In any event, I stand by the assessment. If you don't track, you may be OK with just the springs [/I]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I find it odd that Jeff would say that as I don't think he has tried a modded Spyder (at least since I last talked to him). In any event, I stand by the assessment. If you don't track, you may be OK with just the springs [/I]
Well, I certainly could be mistaken. I spoke with him probably a year ago. But now that the spring is coming, I'm thinking about the next mod.

I guess I'll mod my question. I just wanna gain more confidence at high speeds

Springs or Bars?

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you don't have the springs get them first. Although I have a GS Coupe and can't speak for cowl shake I believe the springs will keep you planted closer to the ground at 80+. The sway bars will help you pivot the car on a dime, but you probably will get less utility at higher speed. The sway bars are crucial for twisty roads.

I have more fun getting use out the sway bars but the springs are more important for safety. You should ask Jeff what the impact would be doing the sway bars first.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I didn't realize that you do not have the springs.

They are a mandatory first step and make a big difference. The sway bars are a "Phase 2" addition and the car handles great with them. Check out these Photos of my Spyder at the track (hint: these are "at the limit" - compare the roll in them to those of the 599)

July 6 & Aug 3, 2010 pictures from cars photos on webshots

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the springs help the shake at high speed or amplify it?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I have an '06 Spyder and the springs were one of my first upgrades. Completely transformed the handling. I don't feel compelled in any way to go to sway bars and I track my car. It's a known fact that the cowl shake on earlier models of the Spyder was more pronounced than on the later model years (05/06). I can't imagine how sway bars would help with cowl shake. With the springs, you'll be able to lower the car which is aesthetically appealing, lower the center of gravity and greatly improve cornering and nearly eliminate body roll. You've gotta do the springs first...and then make your decision about the sway bars later.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have an '06 Spyder and the springs were one of my first upgrades. Completely transformed the handling. I don't feel compelled in any way to go to sway bars and I track my car. It's a known fact that the cowl shake on earlier models of the Spyder was more pronounced than on the later model years (05/06). I can't imagine how sway bars would help with cowl shake. With the springs, you'll be able to lower the car which is aesthetically appealing, lower the center of gravity and greatly improve cornering and nearly eliminate body roll. You've gotta do the springs first...and then make your decision about the sway bars later.
Vicenzo,

I agree that the springs make a huge difference and the car will track well with them. That said, if you have not tried the sway bars, you are in for a big surprise. The cornering is much, much flatter, more solid and general high speed stability (especially in sweepers) is greatly improved. You don't need them but then again, you don't need any of these mods really....

As far as model differences, I don't think the cowl shake was improved in 05. Maserati added structural foam in late 03. I am unaware of any subseqent improvements (or believe me I would have bought a newer car). My custom chassis brace does help somewhat though.

IMO - for $2K installed, the sway bars are well worth it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The cornering is much, much flatter, more solid and general high speed stability (especially in sweepers) is greatly improved. You don't need them but then again, you don't need any of these mods really....

As far as model differences, I don't think the cowl shake was improved in 05. Maserati added structural foam in late 03. I am unaware of any subseqent improvements (or believe me I would have bought a newer car). My custom chassis brace does help somewhat though.

IMO - for $2K installed, the sway bars are well worth it.
Flash - you speak from experience on this one so I defer to you on this topic. Did you start with springs first and then upgrade later to the sways? I'm interested specifically in the noted improvement beyond the FD springs alone. And if you had to choose between the two, I'm assuming you'd go with springs first?

For some reason, I was under the impression that the GS had some improvements in body torsion. I'm trying to do some research now to see if I can find where I had come across that. If I can locate, I'll update this thread.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Vicenzo,

I installed the springs first and drove the car for a year. I thought the improvement was pretty dramatic but I found the car still rolled a bit and could use some stability improvement on very high speed sweepers (100 MPH+). The sway bars corrected this shortcoming and had a major additional benefit - turn was much quicker and the understeer at the limit was virtually eliminated. The car has truly excellent handling now and feels much lighter and quicker than its 3800lbs would suggest. I highly recommend them but if only one mod is perfomed the springs have to come first.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Flash - thanks much for the info. Now I have a harder decision to make...sways or de-cats. Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
744 Posts
No problem. One thing you could do is depack the front cats. This is pretty cheap and gives a 15HP uptick plus a major sound improvement.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will the springs add confidence at high speeds?

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Absolutely! Formula Dynamics sport springs are a great upgrade. No more high speed float.
Couldn't agree more. I honestly think that the springs are right up there with the DBW as far as value & driving pleasure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm assuming that I need an alignment after installing new springs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts