Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the new models have been cancelled? I've seen several rumors to that effect.
\
thanks

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Rumor at best, I haven't heard this at all. I really hope to see the marquee thrive. Everyone here seems very happy with their car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is an article in Autocar regarding a new entry level Ferrari, which if you read between the lines is a restyled and tweaked 4200 replacement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The long-awaited GM-Fiat merger has failed. What this means for Fiat is trouble, since their market share in Europe is dwindling and financially they are really on the ropes. The only car-maker within the Fiat group (which comprises more than just car-making) that is turning a profit is, no surprise, Ferrari.

Pessismists would envision that Fiat group's IPO for Ferrari will be the deathknell for the other car-making divisions of the Fiat group, which would now include Maserati. The cancellation of the new coupe/spyder models is a worrisome harbinger.

I am getting the information about the GM/Fiat deal from Top Gear Magazine #139 (p. 118). While the future of Fiat motor group is unknown, even the most optimistic Maserati enthusiast may be concerned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the Autopareri web site in Italy, the new Maserati spyder has not been cancelled and a disguised mule was actually spotted last week in Modena. If the new model was cancelled, why has there not been an official announcement by Maserati. You would think that it would be in their best interest so that individuals hesitating buying the current model because a new one is around the corner would no longer be a factor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I subscribe to AutoWeek, Car and Driver, and Automobile. I don't remember which, but one of them contained news that the new Coupe and Spyder had in fact been canceled, indicating that potential sales could not cover development costs. I read this within the last two issues.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Spoke to the maserati dealer here in Scottsdale, he seemed like a pretty knowledgeable person. He says that everyone is in the dark, but with the dump of Maserati to Fiat and Ferrari's impending IPO, Ferrari may take this coupe and market it as a 'lower cost' Ferrari rather than a more expensive Maserati. Guess we'll all have to wait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If Alfa were to incorporate the Ratis in their own range (oooh, euro word), then that'd be bad for me....unless ofcourse Alfa is brought stateside. If not....I'll have to buy an used RS6 or possibly that new Aston with a V8. :)

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Dolle Dolf said:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/55580/alfamaserati.html

Looks like it is over. Too bad.
That is sad news. I wonder how it will effect the dealership arrangement with Ferrari.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I still believe much of this is just a paper move to make Ferrari look better for it's upcoming IPO. Seems strange that the article states the marriage is over but then goes on to say "most of Maserati's engines and paintwork will still come from Ferrari as a business arrangement" so it seems they went from a "marriage" to a "business arrangement" Not sure what the difference is, Would this be like me divorcing my wife and then paying her to continue having sex with me? I do not see Ferrari dealers abandoning Maserati. With so few Ferrari's available for sale, selling and servicing some Maseratis would help pay the bills. I just received a very thorough follow up call from JD Power, who Maserati NA hired to make sure I was completely satisfied, Did not seem like the type of thing that would be done if this whole arrangement was being abandoned

·
Registered
18 Posts
May Road & Track published the following speculations in the May issue: "Spy photos also reveal (in addition to the new V12 QP) what we believe to be a Quattroporte-based highend coupe disguised as a 4-door; the large Coupe will also use the V-12. The current Maserati Coupe and Spyder will be replaced by all-new, more curvaceous versions in 2006, power still being provided by a Ferrari sourced V-8."

I bet we see the new Spyder at the Detroit Auto Show in 2006.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Separation from Ferrari

About 2 weeks ago, I talked to the manager of my dealer.
He said that basically, the development of the new models would be complete (he has actually seen them, they look like smaller Quattroporte), but they realized that they would be too expensive to build. They are now trying to migrate them to Alfa Romeo platforms in order to make them cheaper to build, however will continue to share enginges etc. with Ferrari. In his view it will delay market introduction a bit, but not too much.

Greetings
Wäschpi

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wäschpi, do you think today with all the past experiences, all the IT and management tools Ferrari/Maserati have they cannot forecast a cost model for a new car before the first test-cars are achieved? They can share a lot with Ferrari or Alfa, up to the entire value-chain from the development to the sales channels, even some management and administration departments. In my opinion it is only a strategic / market problem: what are the addressed segment? what are the key success factors? but overall the final objective is to make money... every decisions should be based on that. Other opinion about Alfa: the main markets for a car builder today are US and China markets. Maserati seems to be more appreciated in US and follow a strong "evangelism" in China. But what about Alfa?
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Prettier coupes! 8) I'm in. (again, doesn't affect me, I'll be buying a 2050 year model) In regards to marketing the Ratis here....what do you consider exotic? Italian built, handmade feel and handsome interior? All 3 current models satisfy those. However, they forego the exotic price. If you're a Wall Street fat cat, you like your Vanquish because of the exclusivity of the car, due to price. You as Maserati owners know it's easier to obtain these Italian beasts, because a base coupe can be gotten under 90K. So I think Maseratis problem is it's own best quality: lower price than the prancing pony. Also, Maseratis depreciate quite quickly. An 02 Cambio goes for no more than 65K.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ToBeRatiOwner said:
Prettier coupes! 8) I'm in. (again, doesn't affect me, I'll be buying a 2050 year model) In regards to marketing the Ratis here....what do you consider exotic? Italian built, handmade feel and handsome interior? All 3 current models satisfy those. However, they forego the exotic price. If you're a Wall Street fat cat, you like your Vanquish because of the exclusivity of the car, due to price. You as Maserati owners know it's easier to obtain these Italian beasts, because a base coupe can be gotten under 90K. So I think Maseratis problem is it's own best quality: lower price than the prancing pony. Also, Maseratis depreciate quite quickly. An 02 Cambio goes for no more than 65K.
Agreed with all that you say here. These cars make a lot of sense. For the price of a dime a dozen corvette you can have a two year old Maserati. And for the price of a 12 year old Ferrari you can have a two year old car with 3000 miles on the clock.

I am supprised that not more people have latched on and that the cars appreciate so fast.

Plus..... I love the cars, regardless of the price.

Ciao, DD

·
Registered
242 Posts
Agreed with all that you say here. These cars make a lot of sense. For the price of a dime a dozen corvette you can have a two year old Maserati. And for the price of a 12 year old Ferrari you can have a two year old car with 3000 miles on the clock.

I am supprised that not more people have latched on and that the cars appreciate so fast.

Plus..... I love the cars, regardless of the price.

Ciao, DD
I agree. After getting tired of my M3 the next logical step up was a Porsche for me. I just fell into Maseratis by accident, much more luxurious interior, less of a dime-dozen factor than Porsche (atleast here in Scottsdale), and a kick ass 8 cylinder growl that 911 TT drivers would envy....the Maserati was the way to go.
Also, it looks like Alfa Romeo wants to make a come back in the US, so fears of a lack of service for maseratis should be alleviated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
STARDOC said:
I agree. After getting tired of my M3 the next logical step up was a Porsche for me. I just fell into Maseratis by accident, much more luxurious interior, less of a dime-dozen factor than Porsche (atleast here in Scottsdale), and a kick ass 8 cylinder growl that 911 TT drivers would envy....the Maserati was the way to go.
Also, it looks like Alfa Romeo wants to make a come back in the US, so fears of a lack of service for maseratis should be alleviated.
I admire the enduring 911, especially the older aircooled ones, but they somehow leave me cold. Unlike Italian cars, which stir the senses, warm the heart and make you want to sing out loud.

I hope that Alfa will not be entrusted with caring for Maserati. Alfa dealer service, part supply, warranties and poor after care has always been the curse of the marque. It was ike that in the 1970s, is today in Europe, was and probably will be again in the US.

Unless of course Alfa (and Maserati of course) would be brought in under Ferrari.

Oh well, we'll see.

Ciao, DD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts