Maserati Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys - I'm new to the community, but a long-time collector/enthusiast and I work in global motorsports.

I want to acquire the most reliable QP5 that I can for my wife and my Maserati/Ferrari dealer contacts are suggesting 2011-2013 (for the obvious reasons, given the variator issue). She just sold her 2008 E63 Wagon and since we are hard-core gear heads, we would have no problem driving a GTS as a daily.

I have two questions for the community:
(1) Would you recommend buying a post-September 2010 built car with the cam fix at the factory, or buy a 2009/2010 and have the fix performed at an authorized dealer? (assuming the total cost ended up to be the same). By way of example, I have found a rare all-leather 2010 GTS with under 20K miles that can be had for $23K-$24K and if the variator fix were $7K, I'm in the car at $30K. Or, I could try to find an all-leather 2011-2013 GTS and likely pay $32K-$34K. If there is too much risk on the mechanics not knowing how to correctly perform the fix, the dealers selling me old stock variators, or not setting the timing correctly -- I'd probably hold out for the 2011+ QP5 to avoid the headache.

(2) Is the Skyhook suspension reliable such that we can feel confident buying a "S" model, or should we hold out for a GTS with all leather interior to benefit from the fixed dampers? (We've been through the horrors of a Range Rover airbag suspension 15 years ago). If we bought a S model, I'd likely swap out the cat/exhaust to a GTS style with more rumble and RPM scream (a few extra HP is nice too).

Jason - your comments seem balanced and fair, so I'd appreciate if you would chime in.

4,008 Posts
People usually don't say that...lol....I would rather have a later car personally...The Skyhook is not air suspension...Just electronic dampeners and fairly relaible...For a motorsports guy and gear head you are gonna want a GTS I would think... Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
People usually don't say that...lol....I would rather have a later car personally...The Skyhook is not air suspension...Just electronic dampeners and fairly relaible...For a motorsports guy and gear head you are gonna want a GTS I would think... Jason
Thanks for the quick reply Jason. Yes, I am aware that the Skyhook is electronically controlled dampers -- my comparison to the air suspension is more to the point that sometimes you can't beat a simple mechanical system (e.g. coil-over damper) than add a bunch of finicky electronics/sensors that could end up costing $$$$.

Given your response (later car), is there much downside to buying a "S" model vs. the GTS?

4,008 Posts
No problem....I can't leave the house according to the state.. :p ..Not really...It is just trim and the suspension etc...The fixed suspension cars do have a rough ride IMO...It is fixed and it is stiff...Skyhook cars ride much better if you care about stuff like that...J

·
Registered
12 Posts
No problem....I can't leave the house according to the state.. :p ..Not really...It is just trim and the suspension etc...The fixed suspension cars do have a rough ride IMO...It is fixed and it is stiff...Skyhook cars ride much better if you care about stuff like that...J
I live outside of Austin with some country roads that have "questionable" ride quality. Thus, having the variable suspension option in the Skyhook would be desirable "if" it's not a money pit. Is the Skyhook system considered generally reliable? (as compared to what might in a similar Mercedes AMG or BWM M sedan) Do you have any guidance on costs of damper replacement and replacement intervals? (40K miles, longer?)

4,008 Posts
You don't normally replace the shocks...They are German and of high quality...Most of the issues are with the skyhook ECU that fails occasionally....Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
You don't normally replace the shocks...They are German and of high quality...Most of the issues are with the skyhook ECU that fails occasionally....Jason
Thanks.

I found a mid-year production 2010 GTS (pre-Sept 2010) but surprisingly its engine number is 153XXX. Are you guys pretty confident that engines above 148697 have the factory variator fix?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
There is a factory service bulletin that says, "Maserati Quattroporte and GranTurismo vehicles with wet sump engine, with an engine number prior to 148697 may be affected by two different types of timing variator noise." Then, when one looks in a factory parts replacement catalog, there is a variator part number change starting with engine number 157854. It appears to me that one would need an engine number greater than that to be absolutely certain, when looking only at indirect data. For a direct look, perhaps snaking a flexible fiber optic cable to the front of the variator via the oil filler would be worth asking the owner to provide if you are really serious about a particular car.. The replacement variator has a clock-type spring on the face of the variator (a flat metal strip wound up like a clock spring). The old style variator has a smooth front face. Hope that helps rather than confuses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok. What are you looking for? I simply gave you my experience with manufactures....You are aware people can disagree and it's not a total diss or disrespect? Your little rant is way off and all this WRONG shit is funny...Any time you want to answer hundreds of questions and get PMs from people about a Maserati then do it..Please don't ask me a question again...I got nothing for ya....And I sincerely apologize for not being right 100% of the time..As far as you points.
1.) I gave you an honest assessment...Apparently you disagree..
2.) Never proved wrong...Some BS Youtube video...I work with scan tools and ECUs everyday.. I would have to see it..
3.)I forget this one, but I'm pretty sure you were asking me and me not asking you?

As far as my tone..I'm pretty cool with everyone...I'm a direct no BS person..It has worked well for me...I'm pretty polite on ML until people comes sideways at me....Regards..Jason

Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't want to get involved in the back and forth, but I have a question that sort of relates. Is there service bulletin for this same issue for 07 - 09 QP and GT with dry sump engines?

thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it is absolutely hilarious that Maserati issues a bulletin to inform all the dealers to address the most widespread mechanical fault in Maserati history by sending the parts to a 1500 square foot private home in rural NJ.
Better there than a row house in South Philly!!!!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts