Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEWEST Cam Variator Bulletin MTB-200917G 8/10/2018 (2007-2009 QP Auto & GranTur.)

I along with some others on here were looking for this newest updated Maserati Bulletin that came out in August 2018 on the good 'ole CAM Variator issue. I found it this evening and attached it to this post. It appears to give some more indepth info on procedural steps for the dealer to follow and diagnose, how/where to ship and get parts, etc., etc......

At the bottom of the last page it states "Warranty Information".... Can anyone decipher if/what the "Problem Code: 898" and "Cost Code: 16" translates too as far as out of pocket costs to the owner??? This is very interesting tho it could also mean absolutely nothing for an owner. It definitely doesn't hurt to try and find out knowing the extreme costs involved getting this job done. This bulletin quietly came out last year with not too many people knowing, seeing or discussing it on here. I'm sure Maserati doesn't want to publicize a big open door for a bunch of expensive CAM Variator failures that could cost them a partial amount or a ton of money, but me along with others with one of these cars would sure like to know all options when or if the problem hits.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Great info. Thanks.

Its always good to get info from Maserati on what years and models are affected. This topic comes up alot.

"Model Type: Quattroporte Automatic (M139) & GranTurismo (M145) Model Year: 2007 to 2009
Subject: Addendum - Noise from variator
Date:*8/10/2018** Bulletin*No:*MTB‐200917G* Supersedes:*MTB‐200917F* Section:**Engine**
Maserati Quattroporte and GranTurismo vehicles with wet sump engine, with an engine number prior to 148697, may be affected by two different types of timing variator noise. In the event of a customer complaint of the noise from variator at cold start or when releasing the throttle in above mentioned vehicles, verify the engine number and follow the flow chart shown on following page."

One thing that seems odd is where your send the cam caps in for machining... a used car lot in New Jersey? Probably a great place but seems like they should go directly to a modern machine shop. Lol.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I think it is absolutely hilarious that Maserati issues a bulletin to inform all the dealers to address the most widespread mechanical fault in Maserati history by sending the parts to a 1500 square foot private home in rural NJ.

·
Registered
256 Posts
So now I had to look up that place on google maps. Uhh yeah... definitely does not look like a used car lot there. I would definitely make some calls before sending off some non replaceable cam caps. That might not be the correct address. It says on that document new ones are only available with a complete head assembly. Even mailing them off to the correct place seems extremely risky for them getting lost. I doubt you can insure them for the price of a new set of heads.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, weird. If you enter the address into Google maps, it erroneously plants it's pointer across the boulevard from Roosevelt Ave. I went to street view and "walked" it to the correct address. Residential area. Perhaps someone has a machine shop in the back yard of their house, but still this is kind of odd.

I checked the service bulletin and the OP, but neither were dated April 1.

Hans.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Also.. I like the part in the flow chart that basically says "dont let the new guy time the engine" ha ha.

"It is recommended that a shop foreman or Maserati master tech to perform the timing operation"

4,008 Posts
This is not the person or company that we have used previously....It is possible that this is an individual that has made a jig and has a mill...If you saw one machined with the check valve installed it looks like isn't really that big of a deal...The timing of engine can be kinda tricky because they are not just using marks, but a TDC indicator and a degree wheel...Some engines are super easy to time and some are difficult and if you get it far enough off on certain engines then it is all coming apart again...ask me how I know... :furious2:....Jason

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
This is not the person or company that we have used previously....It is possible that this is an individual that has made a jig and has a mill...If you saw one machined with the check valve installed it looks like isn't really that big of a deal...The timing of engine can be kinda tricky because they are not just using marks, but a TDC indicator and a degree wheel...Some engines are super easy to time and some are difficult and if you get it far enough off on certain engines then it is all coming apart again...ask me how I know... :furious2:....Jason
Chatting with the service manager of the Ferrari dealer that used to sell Maseratis, they had an M138 come in after the owner had "his mechanic friend" replace the front cover gasket. No one seems to know his timing technique, but it started and idled poorly. They gave it some throttle and the cams adjusted the valves right into the pistons.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
It is likely that the address is correct and I'm sure the person performing the repairs is qualified. I'm just surprised Maserati didn't spring for a $20/month mail service to handle logistics. When we handled corporate turnaround for Mercedes Benz USA in 2009, we farmed out pretty much everything but nobody knew it - not the customers, dealers, service, F&I, nobody.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I along with some others on here were looking for this newest updated Maserati Bulletin that came out in August 2018 on the good 'ole CAM Variator issue. I found it this evening and attached it to this post. It appears to give some more indepth info on procedural steps for the dealer to follow and diagnose, how/where to ship and get parts, etc., etc......

At the bottom of the last page it states "Warranty Information".... Can anyone decipher if/what the "Problem Code: 898" and "Cost Code: 16" translates too as far as out of pocket costs to the owner??? This is very interesting tho it could also mean absolutely nothing for an owner. It definitely doesn't hurt to try and find out knowing the extreme costs involved getting this job done. This bulletin quietly came out last year with not too many people knowing, seeing or discussing it on here. I'm sure Maserati doesn't want to publicize a big open door for a bunch of expensive CAM Variator failures that could cost them a partial amount or a ton of money, but me along with others with one of these cars would sure like to know all options when or if the problem hits.
Does anyone have an answer to the Warranty question? Is there any possible way to get Maserati to cover even part of this repair?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be nice if someone who works at a Maserati Dealer or a member here that has a good relationship with someone that does, could find out then chime in here on how it translates to a customer/owner. From what I've heard on hear over the years if a customer pushed back hard enough on the costs involved and showed they are well versed on this known problem, Maserati has helped some to reduce and/or cover the costs. I'm sure this depends on what dealer you go to, their knowledge of/dealing with the issue and if they could "spin" accountability of the problem and deflect the costs to the customer's responsibility. In my opinion to get the best outcome from a dealer you need to go in with full knowledge of the issue, have all docs/bulletins on the issue and hold your ground. Ultimately I (along with many others) still want to know what are the "behind the scenes facts" on Maserati's warranty policy on this problem so the CIRCUS SHOW can be avoided and things justly made right for the customer.

4,008 Posts
A few thoughts based on my experience...A car manufactures biggest concern is selling new cars...Not going back and fixing older ones..You may think that is bad business, but it is generally how it works...I have seen Jaguar have trouble with chain tensioners and now again with the chain rails on a 5.0 & 3.0 engine used in the Land Rover and Jaguar cars...Same deal as Maserati...A TSB and everything with updated parts...They are not paying anything I know towards the repair and we do them constantly...I think you can argue with them all you like, but at the end of the day it will end up being cheaper for an independent shop to do it most of the time...My 2 cents...J

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A few thoughts based on my experience...A car manufactures biggest concern is selling new cars...Not going back and fixing older ones..You may think that is bad business, but it is generally how it works...I have seen Jaguar have trouble with chain tensioners and now again with the chain rails on a 5.0 & 3.0 engine used in the Land Rover and Jaguar cars...Same deal as Maserati...A TSB and everything with updated parts...They are not paying anything I know towards the repair and we do them constantly...I think you can argue with them all you like, but at the end of the day it will end up being cheaper for an independent shop to do it most of the time...My 2 cents...J
Not sure why you're being so quick to "shoot this down" (unless ulterior motives are involved) this updated Maserati Variator Bulletin was just released August 10, 2018 and YES Maserati HAS covered some of the costs for owners who have had this variator problem in the past and these were cars way of warranty. Some Proof: It's been posted on this site before. I've read them. Maybe the posts have been purged/deleted to clean up the site or purposely deleted I don't know. A lot of car companies fix issues like this thru a program usually called "Good Will" assistance. Lexus does it and I know Maserati does and plenty others do too. Of course they're not chasing people to fix their cars problems and blowmoney, but when you do your homework and know the facts, etc etc, you call them to the carpet and see what happens...they may offer to pay for some, all or none it depends on the nature of issue is. I don't know what problems Jaguar's and Land Rovers have with chain tensioners, rails, the costs involved or how many bulletins they put out for the problems.. if any.... regardless neither are Maserati's and neither deal with this "unique" Maserati Variator problem. Of course an Independent/INDY shop is going to do the job cheaper than a Maserati Dealer if you have to pay the full costs(thats a no brainer)...and I'm sure an INDY shop makes a nice sweet pot of $$$ getting one of these jobs. The story at the end of the day...get the FACTS first, never assume and do your due diligence. This is an "unknown" variable in an equation alot of people here want to know and get the FACTS about. This variator problem is something I personally would prefer Maserati to repair all day long if I can make it happen at zero cost or partial cost. They may pay half, none or even all. I want the FACTS first...whatever out of pocket money is involved, ill compare it to costs going to an INDY shop and make a calculated decision then. In the meantime I'll just watch this post to see if we get any relevant FACTS. There may be some or it may go silent and we never see another ever again, but it's here if someone has FACTS to share that myself along with many others just want to know. That's my 25 cents...M&MM

4,008 Posts
Oh man, you gotta a lot to say...Check it out...We are hardly get rich doing variator jobs...Here is a Fact...I don't care..I gave you some information and insight and you got butt hurt along the way....I have plenty of cars to fix and you can do whatever you want...That post borderlines stupidity honestly.. I'm telling you wrong so I can do your variators? What all 2 people that live in Atlanta that maybe need variators are reading this post? Get a clue... There is one in every group.. Good day to you Sir...Jason

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe Jason when he says they don't make much coin on this job. Timing the Ferrari cams is a 'real PITA. I think it is done engine-in situ. Dial indicators and all. Sprockets / variators NOT tied to camshafts by way of keyway. UGLY ? and totally unforgiving if even a minor amount out. Brings up codes, do it all over again.

4,008 Posts
Thank you! All the parts come from Maserati....Parts are a 15-20% margin.. Then we get to take the engine apart and be responsible for the engine and anything else honestly...I would rather just change the brake pads and move on to next car...Not really interested with arguing with people on here..I give you the information best I can and everyone can do whatever.. Regards...Jason

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh man, you gotta a lot to say...Check it out...We are hardly get rich doing variator jobs...Here is a Fact...I don't care..I gave you some information and insight and you got butt hurt along the way....I have plenty of cars to fix and you can do whatever you want...Good day to you Sir...Jason
I have always respected and valued your expertise on here. I'm not going to entertain your post here...BUT I will give you some "FACTS":

1) You shoot down this post topic here where you are clearly WRONG about Maserati's program helping out on repairs/known issues

2) You shot down everything I discussed in another post topic not long ago about devices out there that have the ability to illegally change the mileage on a Maserati. (You were proved wrong)

3) You shot down another post topic on my findings on a newer solution fix for the Coolant Hose Sleeve that fails behind the engine... you were wrong again

DO YOU NOT SEE A TREND??? Humble up! We all may not be car mechanics on here but alot of us that own these cars are successful, smart and have the intelligence to research and decipher information aka FACTS

It's a two way street and the respect goes both ways. I have always respected you, what you know and the valuable information you have to offer but the etiquette and respect in return from you is not always there and the condescending tone gets old. Read all my topic posts I ever posted under my profile since I've been on here. I'm confident I bring value on here and earn the respect to call you out on this type of ongoing forum etiquette/conduct . Humble-up!...That's all i'm saying. M&MM

4,008 Posts
Ok. What are you looking for? I simply gave you my experience with manufactures....You are aware people can disagree and it's not a total diss or disrespect? Your little rant is way off and all this WRONG shit is funny...Any time you want to answer hundreds of questions and get PMs from people about a Maserati then do it..Please don't ask me a question again...I got nothing for ya....And I sincerely apologize for not being right 100% of the time..As far as you points.
1.) I gave you an honest assessment...Apparently you disagree..
2.) Never proved wrong...Some BS Youtube video...I work with scan tools and ECUs everyday.. I would have to see it..
3.)I forget this one, but I'm pretty sure you were asking me and me not asking you?

As far as my tone..I'm pretty cool with everyone...I'm a direct no BS person..It has worked well for me...I'm pretty polite on ML until people comes sideways at me....Regards..Jason

Jason

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. What are you looking for? I simply gave you my experience with manufactures....You are aware people can disagree and it's not a total diss or disrespect? Your little rant is way off and all this WRONG shit is funny...Any time you want to answer hundreds of questions and get PMs from people about a Maserati then do it..Please don't ask me a question again...I got nothing for ya....And I sincerely apologize for not being right 100% of the time..As far as you points.
1.) I gave you an honest assessment...Apparently you disagree..
2.) Never proved wrong...Some BS Youtube video...I work with scan tools and ECUs everyday.. I would have to see it..
3.)I forget this one, but I'm pretty sure you were asking me and me not asking you?

As far as my tone..I'm pretty cool with everyone...I'm a direct no BS person..It has worked well for me...I'm pretty polite on ML until people comes sideways at me..I just know you are barking up the wrong tree here....Regards..Jason

Jason

Again...I'm not going to entertain this. I obviously proved my point. END OF STORY

All The Best, M&MMM

1 - 20 of 34 Posts