Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave a brief introduction in the Member Introductions forum. Bottom line -- I'm going to buy a '93-'96 NSX or a '02-'04 Maserati Coupe next summer (when I return to the US); trying to decide which one to buy (but leaning towards the Maserati after many years of planning on an NSX).

Would be extremely grateful if I could get folks' opinions on the following:

1. What year did Maserati fix the "problems" with the CC transmission?
I think I've read that prior to '04, the CC had problems (rough shifts, etc.), unless the transmission is "upgraded". Does this entail only a software upgrade and a F1 pump replacement? All the things I've read (in this forum and in reviews from '02 and '03) scare me away from '02-03 CCs that haven't been "upgraded". Justified?

2. How many miles does the clutch on a manual Coupe last? Is this a ~$2,000 replacement at an independent mechanic?

BTW, the Maserati won't be a daily driver -- Fri through Sun only.

3. Assuming I buy an '02-'04 Coupe, what are the other major repairs to expect, or preventive maintenance to perform?

4. How do you think the "head turning quotient" of '02-'04 Coupes compare to the NSXs (i.e., when driving, filling gas, parking -- what's the level of attention)?
Is it accurate to say the NSX is more "flamboyant" while the Maserati has "subdued elegance"? Any good analogies (I think someone on this forum compared a 911 to Maserati to a wife and a stripper mistress, respectively)? I know that just mentioning my '88 biTurbo causes people -- even women who neither care nor know anything about cars -- to say "oooh!" or "wow", even when I emphasize that it's an '88 and I bought it for only $2000. Amazing. And there's Vincenzo's recent post about the auction. Good stuff.
But most folks haven't even heard of the NSX.

5. Why does Cars.com seem to have one of the best lists of used Maseratis (and NSXs) for sale? Seems to be better than even Dupont Registry.

Sorry for the naive, silly newbie questions. Although I'm still officially undecided between the NSX and the Maserati, I think I've caught the Maserati bug. I haven't even joined the NSX forum.......

Shutter

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Very different cars mate. I hope some other ML members can help you with your queries (I am too un-knowledgeable for that :eek:) but the Maser is a modern sporty GT whilst the NSX is a much older pure sports car.

·
Registered
824 Posts
1. What year did Maserati fix the "problems" with the CC transmission?
I think I've read that prior to '04, the CC had problems (rough shifts, etc.), unless the transmission is "upgraded". Does this entail only a software upgrade and a F1 pump replacement? All the things I've read (in this forum and in reviews from '02 and '03) scare me away from '02-03 CCs that haven't been "upgraded". Justified?
I know revised software was rolled out in 04. I don't think there was any change to F1 pump spec but the 02 clutch was single tang. Some people actually like the older car's shifting but I have seen it described as "abrupt".

I don't know if the newer software can be fitted to the older cars.

2. How many miles does the clutch on a manual Coupe last? Is this a ~$2,000 replacement at an independent mechanic?[/B]
BTW, the Maserati won't be a daily driver -- Fri through Sun only.
You mean 6 spd manual or CC? CC can be anywhere from <10k if driven in auto mode all the time to 20k if carefully driven in sport mode. Typical seems like around 15k? I am at 15k on my clutch and it is fine.

3. Assuming I buy an '02-'04 Coupe, what are the other major repairs to expect, or preventive maintenance to perform?
Clutch.
F1 pump/relay.
Tires.
Insurance.

There is a good thread on maintenance costs and cost of ownership, do a search.

4. How do you think the "head turning quotient" of '02-'04 Coupes compare to the NSXs (i.e., when driving, filling gas, parking -- what's the level of attention)?
Is it accurate to say the NSX is more "flamboyant" while the Maserati has "subdued elegance"? Any good analogies (I think someone on this forum compared a 911 to Maserati to a wife and a stripper mistress, respectively)? I know that just mentioning my '88 biTurbo causes people -- even women who neither care nor know anything about cars -- to say "oooh!" or "wow", even when I emphasize that it's an '88 and I bought it for only $2000. Amazing. And there's Vincenzo's recent post about the auction. Good stuff.
But most folks haven't even heard of the NSX.
While the 02-04 have a nice shape, the 05 and later turn heads more because of the big grilles/revised bumpers.

The NSX is much more of a hard core sports car - would be an awesome track car. The Maserati is a luxury grand tourer.

My 05 stops traffic. Literally. I don't think an NSX does that. To be honest it can get pretty annoying. I've probably been camera-phoned pic-ed about 20 times.

Glenn

·
Registered
333 Posts
I gotta agree with Glenn on all of his answers... my car is an 04 CC and I bought it new. The car used to be a bit rough when cold but the dealer did the software upgrade and solved the roughness.

These cars are very reliable, mine has 12,000+ miles... I drive it everyday and our roads are not the greatest. I've also taken it to extremes, quite a few times to the track, also been up to 270 kmh and feels like riding on RR tracks. I even took the Master Maserati driving class on it and it has never left me stranded much less given me a real or significant problem.

I don't know what it is about these cars ...there is "something" about the Maseratis that brings everybody's attention.
I've even heard people refer to my car as an "orgasm"

I totally agree with them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents, thanks for the info -- it helps. Will also keep searching the forum for maintenance cost info. Glenn, was wondering about the 6 spd manual.
Seems like fixing the roughness of the '02-'03 year group CCs can be a simple software upgrade at the dealer (hopefully not expensive). But I do like the fact that the clutches on the 6 spd manuals seem to last longer.

Very good point on the NSX being a true sports car, vice a luxury coupe -- one of those things I've subconsciously known, but don't actively think about. I'm a luxury kind of guy, and Maseratis seem to give you sports car performance wrapped in a very luxurious package. And more HPs than the NSX (not sure about torque).

BTW, Glenn and Paco -- very nice pics of your cars. Wow.
I guess maybe that's why I like Maseratis. They draw attention (maybe a little too much sometimes) without being too flamboyant. Girlfriend once talked me out of getting a Lotus Espirit because it was "too much".

·
Registered
21 Posts
All the early cambiocorsas automatically had the clutch softwear updated foc everytime they went in for service to a dealer (unless the owner did not want it doimg) almost all will have all the upgrades dome.

Early CC's had a single plate clutch which again almost all will have been changed under warranty for the dual plate clutch.

At around 4/5 years old 4200's invariably suffer from worn rear (& sometimes front) suspension bushes. These require complete suspension arms and are expensive.

Other than this these cars are pretty bullet proof relaiability wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
300zxtt,

Thanks for the info; makes me less weary about the CC. Will do a search for suspension arms to get average pricing on replacement.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Suspension Arm Bushings...

Actually you don't need to buy the whole arm, dealers like to install them to get rid of their inventory but you can buy the bushings themselves from Eurospares at a fraction of the cost of the arm.

I am waiting myself for someone to come out with a Urethane Bushing as a replacement for these rubber ones... They would last a life time.. There is a place can custom make them for you but it costs... Although not was much as the control arms with the new bushings...

http://www.afmusa.com/bushings.selchart.asp

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just another two cents worth...

I generally agree with what has been said, above. I actually prefer the earllier cars. As was said, they have all been updated with the latest mechanical and software upgrades. This was not necessarily an improvement, mind you. I actually preferred my original CC software, as it was much more "Ferrari" in tuning. Clutch take up was much more abrupt, more performance oriented. The later software iterations provided more clutch slippage for a more gradual engagement. I also prefer the solid black center console trim, as compared with the pewter or silver color introduced in the ensuing years. The black is much more complimentary to the earth-tone interior colors, in my opinion.

The NSX is an awesome car. Much more direct in its responses than the Maserati. Having said that, the Maserati drivetrain can't be beat. Formula Dynamics are close to having a set of upgrades-suspension, transmission software, engine tuning-that should have the Maserati beyond competitive on track days, at a very reasonable price. From a purely vain point of view, because so few Maserati Coupes are on the road, onlookers don't know if it's brand new or 8 years old, they just haven't had the exposure. People love to start conversations with me about this car. The same can't be said for the NSX. Nearly everybody who's looking at cars knows that car is yesterday's news, as good as it was and is. Putting image issues aside, I could happily own both of these cars side by side, particularly if each were stock examples.

Best of luck in your purchase. As my wife would say, yours is a "First World," problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 2003 Coupe GT 6.speed manual. When I got the car it had 14,000 miles on it,with the original clutch. I now have 25,000 on the car and all is well. I would think a 2003-2005 Coupe GT from a dealer is your best way to go. Why get an CC with all of the problims. If you drive on the track I think the CC is the way to go,but for street driving the 6.speed stick is the better way to go. Just my 2.cents for what it is worth.:)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Girlfriend once talked me out of getting a Lotus Espirit because it was "too much".
You should get a girlfriend that is "too much" like I did (now my wife)... (looks like an ex-stripper, blonde, big boobs, 12 years younger) Makes the Maser PERFECT for us :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
I also prefer the solid black center console trim, as compared with the pewter or silver color introduced in the ensuing years.
Note the silver trim ("aluminum" which is really silver plastic) is part of the aluminum trim option (flappy paddles, door inserts, centre console).

It looks nice with light colored interiors.

Not to be confused with pewter which is a darker gray.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Folks, thanks for all the info. This has been extremely helpful.

Grnd, what bushing item number or specs would you know to get if you're going to have AFM custom build them for you? Or is it obvious once you look in the service manual? Seems like a good idea to spend the extra to have bushings that will last forever.

Ron, the life span of the 6 spd manual's clutch is another reason why I've had a preference for it over the CC. 25k on the original clutch is sweet. BTW, are you the same Ron Avery from the Ron Avery Shooting Academy?

Frankie, it's this exclusivity that's drawing me to the Maserati. Although the NSX isn't as well known as Maserati, the latter seems to be more exclusive (guess it helps that in the US, modern Maseratis go back to only 2002). I too have thought about eventually owning both cars (many years down the road).

Bee, girlfriend actually shares a trait with your wife, but I won't say which one.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2005 CC with over 25k miles on it....first clutch still. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself but the thing still drives great. I never drive in automatic and had the ECU aftermarket reprogrammed...Eurotek I believe during a group buy years ago. I like the shifting characteristics of the CC and it makes it easier drive in city traffic.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Shutter,
No I am not the Ron Avery from the Shooting Academy. Who is that? I would say that even with the 6.sd stick you can still go through a clutch fast if you are not easy on it. I do not slip the clutch off the line, I only jump on it after the car is rolling. I just think with the stick you drive the car it does not drive you.
Ron:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ron Avery is an amazing pistol marksman who owns/runs The Practical Shooting Academy in Colorado. Met him when I had a meeting at the Secret Service training center in Maryland a few years ago. Good guy.

Wannabe, pretty cool that your CC clutch has lasted that long. Thought those things almost always had a shorter lifespan. Guess never driving in auto is paying off.

Completely different league of cars, but I remember the day when I took my '93 240SX with 102k miles on it to a very reputable indy to check the clutch, only because it was the original clutch. Mechanic said the clutch had tons of life left on it. And my 300ZX original clutch lasted for ~85k. Funny that "exoticness", power, and price are inversely proportional to clutch life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts