Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I maybe purchasing a 1986 maserati byturbo 425 from my cousin soon.

im am looking for a site that i can enter a discription of the car in and get a quote on the approximate value

the car has 57000 miles on the odometer, the rear of the car is wrecked slight enough to keep the trunk from closing, and the interior is shot.

the car does run very well and even reliably, to a degree. the motor makes no noise and does not shake, the tranny shifts very smooth and on time.

if i do purchase the car i will only be gutting it and making a drift car out of it

what would you say would be a good price for something like this, located in south texas.

thanks for looking and the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
In reply...

To begin, congrats and welcome to the "next level" of enthusiast ownership. Your first order of duty is to realize that just because the car is worth a little over the price of your mid-condition '80's RX7, it is a totally different car.
I am currently building an '87 Si (Fuel injected car...I highly suggest you look at converting from carborated) as an auto-x car. I have had to contact a lot of good friends in the industry and beg for custom parts to be made. You can't swing on to Bulletproof Automotive and dig up anything you need.
If you really want to go through with the purchase, do a little research and you will find that the only benefit you will get from building a Maser as a drift car is the cool factor. Trust me...I have been there.
I think that you should do your research first, then make your final decision. Without seeing the car, it's worth in the 2K range. If it ends up being all you want it to be...it could be worth a pretty penny to the right buyer. Good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Biggest thing to think about on the Maser as a drift vehicle is drift cars see a lot of damage and impacts simply because if you are pushing it hard enough you are eventually cross that line into the realm of no control and send the old girl ass first into a wall because you entered the corner too hot...finding a spare chassis or cheap body panels at a junkyard is going to be difficult compared to the more common vehicles used (fc,fd,s13,ae86, etc) not to mention the cost and difficulty in finding a new motor if you grenade yours during competition...I am building my second drift car currently (had an S12 200sx CA18ET now have an SR powered S13) and I would never use anything that had the parts accessibility problems of an Itailian sports car it is just not worth the troubles you are going to go through to keep her running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts