Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the forum; I just want to ask a few questions so I don't make a costly mistake.... I am currently looking to buy a used Maserati. I have read a lot of prior posts to help me and I definitely learned a lot so far....

My daily driver is a 2008 supercharged Range Rover Sport, but I want a car that I can have fun with. So now I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive 2nd car. I don't really want to spend more than $35-$40k (tough economy) and I am not interested in a Corvette, etc... I was considering a used 911, but I really like the 2 door Maserati. I think they're one of the nicest looking cars and you don't see them everyday, which is also a plus.

I've been looking on Ebay and I'm very happy to see a lot of Maserati coupes (mostly gran tourismo not GS) in my price range, but most are 2002-2004. I also want to mention that there is a Maserati dealer within 5 minutes of my house, which will make life easier.

My question(s): Am I crazy to look at the 2002s? Should I avoid a specific year or model? I already plan to do a pre-purchase inspection, etc... Honestly, some of the low mileage 2002s are very tempting for about $30,000 but I just want to make sure I don't regret buying a 2002. I am aware that the car might have some issues. However, I might be willing to take a "slight" risk with a low mileage (10,000-15,000 miles) 2002 in great condition with extended warranty.

Any thought? Should I try to find a higher mileage '04 or '05? Or should I spend a bit more and get a Gran Sport?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you find any answers to your questions you posted? I am in the same position, looking at the older models and am also wondering what 3rd party warranties are reliable

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
We have a pretty useful buyers' guide here for the Coupe/Spyder/GranSport models:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2875

I would personally avoid a 2002 car with very low miles. I prefer a more run-in cars whose niggles should have been fixed during its warranty period by previous owners than a long in the tooth garage queen.

The MY2005 and onwards do offer the best/latest transmission software and slightly different looks (front grill, different rims).

I think a pre-inspection is always worth doing but I think the US-based members on here will be able to give you a better view of what to do before buying the car.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Buy mine

I have been trying to sell my 2004 coupe for the past 8 months. I am the second owner, it has 19000 miles and all services are up to date and done at Ferrari/Maserati of Houston.
I have pretty much given up trying to sell it so this is my last effort. I do not need to sell it but hauling a 3 month old and a 2 yr old in the back seats is not the most convenient set up.

Here is my ad at cars.com

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...ional&paId=290080678&recnum=5&leadExists=true

The clutch is at 35% so it will likely need to be replaced in the next year. I just had the 18000 mile service done last week and the clutch adjusted. It does not slip at all but the last 30% goes quickly is what I am told.

I will sell it to any MLife member for $34.5k

·
Registered
633 Posts
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2875
I would personally avoid a 2002 car with very low miles.
+1 + the 2002s always suffered from some awkward problems that were quickly resolved by 2004/5. If the car was regularly taken in for warranty work then these, as has been said, should mostly be resolved. However, the 02s are always a risk as they were really "quirky". I would avoid them in general. For $40k-ish you shodld be able to get a mid-milage '05 coupe, no?

Though, I gotta say that the 2002 Spyder is a great toy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 2003 coupe GT ( six speed man trans ), If you don't mind a shift your self set up you can save your self a lot of heart ache. I like the way my car feels and drives. Look for an 2003 or newer and take your time,it's a big purchase, there are a lot of cars for sale. If it has over 25,000 miles on and it and it is a GT it may need a new clutch. I have 28,000 on my car still with the original clutch. The dealer thinks i may make it to 30,000 miles. I bought the car with 14,000 miles on it when it had eight months still on the warranty.:)
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Keep in mind that the Coupe and the Gransport are very different cars. The GS is not just a later version of the coupe.

I prefer the larger grill of the 2005-2006. I would stay away from the pre-2004 models. 2005 and later are bargains and seem to be better vehicles. You need to decide of you want a GT (traditional 6 speed with a clutch) or the Cambiocorsa (F1 paddle shift).

After doing heavy research before buying mine, (and testdriving M3 and 911 and driving many many Masers) I decided on a 2006 Coupe GT. I was able to find one in excellent condition with 19k miles (original clutch) and over a year remaining on the warranty. I bought it in December of 2008. The only option the car is equipped with is factory navigation which is worthless. I delt with a very cooperative seller and I feel like I got a VERY good deal for what I paid. It is a beast.

I prefer the traditional 6 speed and later model with more miles for several reasons. (some folks around here may disagree with me) I believe that the GT is less expensive to maintain- no f1 pump and less wear on the clutch. Of course this depends on one's driving style but generally from what I have learned from other owners this is the case. I don't really value options like skyhook, heated seats or a CD changer. I just felt like this was more stuff that could need repair and did not add too much to the driving experience. I do wish I had Xenon headlights though, that would be nice.

I also believe the GT will maintain the value (whats left of it) better than the Cambiocorsa. Few of them were made = scarcity. I see value in this car being the last true manual 6 speed made by either Maserati or Ferrari. I agree with Bigfoot about I decided that buying after the 18k service was a good idea because the car is seasoned and most of the bugs have been worked out.

Good luck on your purchase. I think the buyers market for these vehicles is the chance of a lifetime. I had so much fun shopping for mine, I still look everyday for the next great deal. If you want to know the terms of my purchase PM me and I will share. Don't buy too quickly or pick a car based on convenience (or proximity to your home) I have seen some of the Masers on the market right now change hands a couple of times and others have been listed for several months. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and alot of helpful people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you

I really appreciate all the advice..... I always do my research before buying cars and i've saved myself a lot of money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was told by the service staff at my local Maserati dealership service dept (they all got on the phone at the same time) to try to get a 2004 or newer model. Fewer recalls requiring fixing and many problems corrected. I was looking at a 2002. I bought a 2004 with 11,000 miles and have no complaints.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Love my '03 CC - absolutely no problems.

For what it's worth, there's a bit of "mine is better than yours" going on here, which is only natural; we're all proud of our babies.

Maseratis are hand-made works of art and each one is subtly different, which is both good and bad. There are dependable ones and undependable ones, and for the most part that's irrespective of year. The problems and drawbacks of the GT's are well-documented on this board and you should do some searches here to get the full picture.

I suggest you find a model that appeals to you in your price range, then get the seller's permission to talk to their mechanic. If they have a problem with that, walk away.

Then, even if the car is out of town, take a cheap flight and do a test-drive. The F-1 paddles take a bit of getting used to, but you can definitely see how the car feels.

By the way, as you may have gleaned from other postings, there are some terrific modifications possible for the Coupes which make them even better.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Keep in mind that the Coupe and the Gransport are very different cars. The GS is not just a later version of the coupe.
I don't think that there is that much difference actually.

As far as I know the differences are an exhaust with a different centre section and tubi rear boxes (not the same as aftermarket Tubi mufflers though) yielding about a 10HP jump in power, 19" wheels, and a slightly lowered suspension (1/2") with different spring rates. There are also a few cosmetic changes like seats, interior trim, and the side sills and front valance.

P.S. The GS is CC only

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I don't think that there is that much difference actually.

As far as I know the differences are an exhaust with a different centre section and tubi rear boxes (not the same as aftermarket Tubi mufflers though) yielding about a 10HP jump in power, 19" wheels, and a slightly lowered suspension (1/2") with different spring rates. There are also a few cosmetic changes like seats, interior trim, and the side sills and front valance.

P.S. The GS is CC only
The GS has the same spring rates as a standard coupe, just lowered 5mm from the factory. Also the shift programming is improved over the coupes. Everything else is spot on. With a few mods the Couple can easily make up the difference to the GS. Although I do think that the GS package is well worth the cost.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can turn a coupe into a GS like I did. For example my 2003 Coupe GT is a case in point.

I have 19” GS wheels, No rear mufflers, F.D. springs lowered 1”, GS seats, F.D. DBW, and a wood steering wheel and gear knob.

With Coupe prices are so low, you can pick up a great low mile 2003,2004,or 2005 for a lot less than a GS.

The wheels I bought used, and the seats I bought used as well and traded my stock seats for.

The price of all of these mods is still less than the price difference between the Coupe and the GS. And if you get the GT, there is no F1 trans related problems and longer clutch life as well:)

Ron

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where did you find your gransport wheels used and how much did you pay for them? I am thinking about buying an 05 sypder with a body kit that makes it look exactly like a GS except for the wheels and I'd love to find a good deal on some GS wheels.

Also, I'd prefer a GT over the CC but I have heard that the GTs are rare and I doubt I'll be able to find a black on black 05 syder GT with the GS body kit, is that a fair assumption?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts