Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not (yet) a maserati person, but am looking at replacing my Volvo for a 2002 Maserati with about 9k miles. My expertise lies in the German side of Europe, been a P-Car guy since day 1 of my life and usually have an MBZ in the stable, but lost it to the Linc...

My wife tells me this may not be too practical; as dependability used to be a problem with these cars (80s BiTurbos) - or at least that was what i was told.

Long/short - If i were to pull the trigger, it would be my daily...is that a fair car to have as a daily or would it be opening the door for mechanical issues, etc.?

·
Registered
722 Posts
On average (YMMV), no problem. Search "daily driver".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help; my greatest fear after dropping funds on a car as a daily is having my wife tell me "I Told you so" should it die; I don't need 2 project car/garage queens.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Be aware of the need to replace tires at faily short intervals. Also, the "Cambiocorsa" paddle shifter models have a relatively short clutch life and possible issues with the associated hydraulic pump. The "GT" stick shift model does not have these issues, but is harder to find.

My 2002 Coupe GT is my daily driver. It was going to be a "special car" but it's so much fun that the BMW is just sitting around, somewhat neglected.

This is NOT a bi-turbo!!!!!!!! Maserati (Fiat/Ferrari) knew they would have to re-establish their reputation after the shortfalls of the DeTomaso years and did a fine job with these cars. The effort for reliability was successful with the above mentioned items being part of the reality of a true F1 type paddle shifting manual gearbox. The matter of tires is just a function of really sticky tires on a great handling fairly heavy car.

The 2002 Maserati is a very well built car.

One last note is that dealer service looks to be expensive, as you might well imagine. I do my own work so somebody else might have more to say about this.

All cars need service sometime..... and all wives say "I told you so" sometime.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mechanically, these cars are pretty good. The engines are near-enough bullet-proof and are the baseline motor for half-dozen car models: Maserati GS/Coupe/Spyders, Quattroporte, GranTurismo, Alfa Romeo 8C Coupe/Spider, F430 Coupe/Spider/Scuderia, and upcoming F149.

They do have quirks. On my '05 Spyder, every six months or so, the passenger window refuses to work and at the same time my center screen goes gray. Happens for about 5 or 10 minutes, then everything is fine and another six months passes. If this kind of stuff will bother you - then you should pass on Italian cars.

Check to see if there is a local independent service that you can take the car since it is out of warranty. The dealer parts and service prices will make you lightheaded - you are going to a Ferrari dealership, after all.

One more thought: No matter how inexpensive the selling price of these pre-owned cars, they were still $100K cars originally. And contrary to expectations, MSRP is inversely proportional to reliability. (Previous Honda/Toyota owners have an especially difficult time with this concept). The only exotic that seems to dispute this "law" is the Bentley Continental GT/Flying Spur.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand/agree

This would be the first daily used car I have purchased in 20odd years; I'm afraid of a car not under warranty; thus my apprehension.

I maintain and am not afraid to take a car down for maintenance; but I am having a tough time justifying $2,000 every 6k miles...thats...wow. My 911 only costs me about $300 every 3k miles in maintenance...(it has cost me a total of 2k in the past 7 years in maintenance).

Maybe a new A6 (as my wife wants me to get) may be a better avenue; that's a bummer, I like distinction and think the new maseratis are gorgeous.

·
Registered
695 Posts
jeffrey,

I believe an A6 is a four-door? (I'm not an Audi guy). Go to cars.com and punch in Maserati Quattroporte. There are some good priced 2005 QP's out there and most should have a year of warranty left.

One of my favorite QP Top Gear reviews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zwm_7hhxbA

I believe the Quattroporte has won almost every sedan comparison review out there against its German competition.

I don't know what kind of annual mileage you may do on a DD, but Masers have 12K service schedules and an interim 6K oil change is an easy DIY. Did you see this thread? http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1240

One of our sponsors here - Formula Dynamics - has OEM filters and oil available (and cheaper). Other examples: A few people have change their F1 pumps at a third of what the Dealer charges. Brake pads and spark plugs can be cross referenced other than OEM part numbers, etc.

But after all, your decision, good luck with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts