Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm looking for a Coupe Cambiocorsa prob 02 or 03. Budget is mid $30's. I wondered if somebody could help with a few questions.

1. I'm going to be driving around 400-500 freeway miles per week! Now despite the gas cost (I'm from the UK so US gas prices are still much better) what other maintenace costs should I factor in?
I was looking for a 911, but this seems so much more car for the money.

2. What should I look for when choosing a car? Any things to check? Can I run the VIN at a Maserati dealer? Will they tell me what work has been done even if I don't own the car?

3. Do you know where I can find a used car pricing guide for Maserati? I can't find one at KBB or Edmunds?

4. Am I being crazy?! Should I just get a boring 911!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The things that are gotcha's

Clutch will need replacing every 25k at the most. Cost = 4k
F1 pump might need to be replaced Cost = 2.5k
Gas/Oil that kind of stuff is comparable to porsche
Tires need to be changed about every 10k Cost = 1.5k

If you do the service yourself it's very reasonable, if not the Porsche is cheaper to maintain..

But one thing for sure, the Porsche is just a car, A Maserati is a treat for all your senses...

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Heck...

Even without those things you can add 10k to the purchase price real quick. Add in a BMC Filter, DBW, ECU's, new brakes, all of those things that let's your Maserati run like's it brother the F430, etc... ; - )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight!
I am very keen on the Maserati despite the upkeep cost.
Can anydbody better answer these questions?

2. What should I look for when choosing a car? Any things to check? Can I run the VIN at a Maserati dealer? Will they tell me what work has been done even if I don't own the car?

3. Do you know where I can find a used car pricing guide for Maserati? I can't find one at KBB or Edmunds?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I beg to differ about being able to find a good coupe for a price in the mids 30s. It is possible to find one if you look hard and do your homework. Most important thing is to ensure it's mechanically sound. If it is, one can always correct any minor cosmetic issues.

Grnd's said pretty much everything you need to know about the rest of the maintenance. I'd recommend you get some all season performance tires to last longer than 10K if you plan on DD-ing it.

Some stuff might break on the car...or just not work the way you want. It really helps to be mechanically inclined to fix and do the simple stuff (change fluids, minor other problems). However, be prepared for a large bill should it come along, especially with the CC transmission.

When looking for the car, i'd advise one with records. If no records are available, see if they can put you in contact with former owners, and DEFINITELY get a PPI on one of those.

I highly doubt there's a pricing guide for these cars. You really need to pay attention to the restaurant and forums for a couple months to get a feel for the prices. For reference, i bought mine for ~36, with all the services just completed (fluids, plugs, tires, brakes). it's an 02 coupé (6 speed), and had about 40500 miles at purchase date. As i debate selling it now, i'd list it for around 34,5...which seems to be the market. YMMV

·
5,887 Posts
4. Am I being crazy?! Should I just get a boring 911
In my opinion, these cars do not make good daily drivers. Of course, YMMV. Freeway miles probably didn't even enter the designers' minds when this car was designed. If your daily drive consists of twisty mountain backroads, you will be in heaven. If your daily drive consists of flat freeways, you will be very disappointed. An Italian sports car that gets 15-20 mpg (driven conservatively) doesn't make for much of a DD.

Even without those things you can add 10k to the purchase price real quick. Add in a BMC Filter, DBW, ECU's, new brakes, all of those things that let's your Maserati run like's it brother the F430, etc... ; - )
Let's not mislead the guy. All the mods mentioned will do wonders for a Coupe/Spider or Gransport. However, it still won't get the car anywhere near running like a Ferrari 430.

Remember, you get what you pay for. As with all Italian exotics, you get what you pay for. With that out of the way, try to narrow down exactly what colors/options you want and start the hunt. If you want help, let us know what you are looking for and the members here might even know of cars for sale that meet your needs.

Be aware that the '02-'03 cars are not known to be as reliable as the later years. An extra $10K spent will make a huge difference in what you can get.

Once you zero in on the car that you want, get a full set of service records (receipts). If the seller doesn't have them, move on. A documented service history is important. Before you buy, have a trusted shop do a comprehensive PPI.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just purchased an '05 CC after spending some months researching (and convincing the wife). There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I do believe you can find a great deal on a solid car. Despite being produced in lower quantities, there are still an abundance of these cars on the market, many of which are beyond warranty ('02's-'04's) and some near expiration. I think TravisJ said it best by looking at a later year ('04-'05) if at all possible. I still have warranty though 3/09, although some will say the warranty is a POS. Stretch your dollar, don't be afraid to make a low offer, run a Carfax, try to find a car with all of the service history documented (as I did) and plan on banking some slush fund money for the unexpected. The PPI goes without saying once you identify a car.

Not many comps out there to look at, although it's interesting to see what these cars trade for at auction these days.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If maintenance cost is a concern go for the manual transmission, you'll save a lot and they are more reliable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great insights guys! It's actually really good to know there is such a supportive Mas community out there.
I've been chatting to a guy about an 02 Cambio. He's sending me full service history from Lake Forest Ferrari (are they a reputable shop? - should I get a PPI from them?). It has 24K miles. He put 12K on over 2.5 years.
1st owner replaced the clutch so it has about 14K on the new clutch. I guess that will need replacing soon.
What are you thoughts on going for an 03 or 04 with higher miles? Rather than the 02 as I really need to stick to mid 30's price range.

Thanks!

·
5,887 Posts
I've been chatting to a guy about an 02 Cambio. He's sending me full service history from Lake Forest Ferrari (are they a reputable shop? - should I get a PPI from them?).
I’m sure Lake Forest Ferrari is a reputable shop. With that said, get the PPI somewhere else. A PPI from the shop that normally services a car will often not be as critical as a shop that has not worked on it.

What are you thoughts on going for an 03 or 04 with higher miles? Rather than the 02 as I really need to stick to mid 30's price range.
In my opinion, buy the latest year you can afford. If you really need to stick to the mid-$30s, an ’02 is probably your best bet. As stated before, you will get what you pay for. A bottom dollar car will usually have high miles, an unknown history, maintenance needed, and sometimes all three.

It would seem as if you are on a strict budget. Just don’t let the excitement of buying an Italian sports cars overshadow the need to be realistic about future repair/servicing costs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great insights guys! It's actually really good to know there is such a supportive Mas community out there...
Thanks!
There is a "buyers checklist" if you look down this thread in the UK mas forum:
http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/tm.asp?m=2851
(subject toUK english translation!)

Having run an 02 CC for four years I would say that 30K or more is possible from a clutch BUT depends on how hard it has been driven by previous owners.
Also watch out for the rear suspension bush replacement mentioned in the guide - these rubber bushes AGE irrespective of mileage and renewal, if they are more than four years old, will make a big improvement to the way the rear suspension sits down on the road. Dealers try to replace entire rear suspension arms ($$) - others have managed to renew only the bushes by going to indie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great help. I just test drove an 04 Coupe CC (first time I've driven the Mas)
I have a few questions so I'll start another post on it

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
off topic

barbuckle, do you have a high resolution version of your avatar?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nonsense on the car not making a good daily driver. I've been using my for a year now as a daily driver with no issues apart from replacing a crummy stock battery; there are quite a few of us on this forum (if not the majority) who don't treat theirs as garage queens.

If you have to commute on flat freeways like I do, it is a whole lot more enjoyable to do so in a work of art with a Ferrari heart (aka engine) than in a Toyota - or a Porsche for that matter, of which I see a dime a dozen on the freeway every day. I don't give a hoot about rising gas prices, it's worth every penny for me, but then my commute is only 10 miles one way.

A dealer will not release repair or warranty service history to you until you own the car, mine told me that flat out, hence the PPI is that much more important. There is no 'Bluebook' for exotics as there are so few of them and prices vary drastically depending on condition, mileage, service history and documentation. Research ebay history, classifieds etc., you have to do your own homework, at the end of the day you will have to make the call of whether the car you are interested in is worth the asking price.

Also make sure that if you can only budget mid-30s on the purchase that you won't be caught off-guard with potentially maintenance costs and sometimes long repair turnaround times for your daily driver, especially if you don't have a second vehicle to use in the meantime. Many (most?) dealers/shops don't give loaners.

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts