Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I've been thinking of selling my drag car for something else. I guess I'm just burnt out with working on it all the time. So I've been looking at Lotus's and Maseratis. I really like the Maserati (no toyota motor!) but have a few questions. I'm wanting the coupe with the paddle shifter, I've found a few 02's and 03's. How reliable are these cars? It will only be a toy for me but I don't like brakedowns! My second question, can I work on it myself? I don't like taking my vehicles to the dealer, Id rather do everything myself as long as I don't have to go into an automatic transmision. Even my vehicles with warrentys stay away from them. I can do everything from motors to axles(with the exception of automatic transmissions) Will I be able to handle a maserati or is that not a good idea? Well sorry for the newbie questions!

·
Registered
242 Posts
No issues in nearly 2 years of ownership. The Ferrari motor, by most accounts (do a search on this forum), is one of the most reliable parts of the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maser reliability

Sorry guys, I should know better than make a flat out statement against Maserati on the Maserati forum!!!BUT....denial is not a river in Egypt!! I am sure that some you have perfect Masers that never have failed you, but I have read almost everything imaginable on this forum about all sorts of unusual problems encountered by owners of Masers. I understand love is blind, but come on...electrical problems,A/C problems,transmission problems, clutch problems,lousy nav,lousy stereo,air bags deploying when hitting a pothole,inferior suspension requiring after market upgrades to please owner,and on and on and on..... These are the things I have read on this forum that I can remember off the top of my head!!! I too think the Maserati is absolutely a beauty to behold, but the coke snorting stripper statement made by one of the other forum members comes to mind. Easy on the eyes, hard on the heart (or pocketbook or just the plain old inconvenience factor) Check out the latest Top Gear this week where they track an M3,a Merc C class with the bad a** AMG engine, and the hot rod Audi....all of these will run circles around your Maserati without aftermarket upgrades and for substantially less money. You know it's the truth!!!I know...those are not "Italian sports cars". Well, maybe that is a good thing!;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry guys, I should know better than make a flat out statement against Maserati on the Maserati forum!!!BUT....denial is not a river in Egypt!! I am sure that some you have perfect Masers that never have failed you, but I have read almost everything imaginable on this forum about all sorts of unusual problems encountered by owners of Masers. I understand love is blind, but come on...electrical problems,A/C problems,transmission problems, clutch problems,lousy nav,lousy stereo,air bags deploying when hitting a pothole,inferior suspension requiring after market upgrades to please owner,and on and on and on..... These are the things I have read on this forum that I can remember off the top of my head!!! I too think the Maserati is absolutely a beauty to behold, but the coke snorting stripper statement made by one of the other forum members comes to mind. Easy on the eyes, hard on the heart (or pocketbook or just the plain old inconvenience factor) Check out the latest Top Gear this week where they track an M3,a Merc C class with the bad a** AMG engine, and the hot rod Audi....all of these will run circles around your Maserati without aftermarket upgrades and for substantially less money. You know it's the truth!!!I know...those are not "Italian sports cars". Well, maybe that is a good thing!;)
What is your point?

Why are you on here?

Go to any board and you will find people discussing the problems that they have had with their cars, that is what forums are for.

I had far more problems with my Porsche and my Viper than I have had with my Maserati.

Eric

·
Registered
57 Posts
My point

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but my point is to let the newbie know what he is in for, based on all the posts I have read on the forum. I think that is what he was wanting to hear, rather than painting him a rosy picture that he probably would not find exactly the case...Sorry, but I was only repeating MY Maserati experience and the countless others I have read on this forum, so should you really shoo me off because I dare to tell the truth?:confused:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
BTW... You believe ANYTHING from Top Gear? LOL!

Dr. Jim.... What are you smoking? A chain-drivin F430 motor with 15000 mile maintenance intervals... Are you not a an exotic person? Or is this this your first non-BMW/Merc? Crap! My Viper had MANY more maintenance issues (read DODGE) than this bullet-proof example from the Ferrari stable. It's kind of creepy how every day you just start it up and drive it. I paid 25K more for my last car and it was in the shop 50% of the time. I'm not in denial, I'm in HEAVEN!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow guys I will share my thoughts on this one.. For the newbie I would like to tell you that your Maserati experience will def be different from any other.. The car is one of the major things I look forward too when I go home. I only drive it at nights and weekends, I suppose you don't wanna drive it all the time because I personally don't think Maserati's are everyday cars... The car is one of the best things you can experience in life you can work on most things your self but when it gets to major stuff you might wanna take it in but don't ever go to dealer unless you absolutely have to.

In terms of problems yes it will give you problems lets not lie... BUT you can minimize by taking care of things on time the main problems with these cars are clutch and F1 pumps I have a 03 spyder and my car with out any prior symptoms died on me saturday, That being said am I gonna get rid of the car or tell someone not to get one?? NOO I love my car with a passion and I know that some of these problems is just part of owning such a masterpiece..

And the person above me being all negative..As the other gentleman said why are you on this site?? Just go to a BMW forum or something....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you or have you ever owned a Maserati, Ferrari, Lambo, or any other "Italian sport car"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As you can see from my profile I have and do own several Italian cars. I also have owned (7) new Mercedes since 1990. I still have two right now. I have had 2 minor issues with the 575M. a faulty alarm siren, and a bad switch on the gas cap, these were taken care of when taken in for regular service. The Mondial t has not had a single issue in 15 years of ownership. BTW it is one of less than 30 that was equiped with the "Valeo" operated manual trasmission that everyone (none of which ever owned, or probably even knew, one of the less than 30 people in the world that has one) said will be a nightmare to maintain because it is so rare. My Maserati is less than a year old. It is QP Automatic and has been flawless. I have never been stranded or broken down in any of the Italian cars. I do not believe I'm the only person in the world that has had what some seem to think is a miraculous experience.

My experience with Mercedes is typical I think for the owners of these cars. One was a 300E and the other six were SL's (Mercedes idea of sport cars) They all were new when purchased by me, and all had warranty issues, some taking days to fix. All but two I kept beyond the warranty period. The ones I did cost me plenty to repair and maintain. I was stranded at least three times in these over the years. Seems like the Dealer does not know how to ouote less than $2,000.00 to fix any thing. One of these is a SL 600 a V-12 that I love. It cost me $120,000.00 in 1994 but now I'm having to take it back multiple times for the same issues and I have about had it with Mercedes. It's getting hard to tell the C, E, and S class cars apart from a distance. Thats why I bought the Maserati and thats the truth.

I have also had (4) brand new Corvettes in my past. If you want to factor money and relieablity into it IMO, its the best sports car. But I still had issues with them. There are so many of them. I wanted something more exciting and exclusive.
I think you do too. Thats why you are on this forum is it not?

These are real experiences with cars I actually have or did have. I hope you might find helpful.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
it's funny how you put it.
you sold your 05 coupe.
you put all these negatives to the car.
but now you are still looking for a MC Victory?

did all the problems you listed happen to one maserati??? or every maseratis?

i have my QP for almost 4 years now. it has been very reliable. my spyder is just as reliable.

honestly IMO you do not deserve an MC Victory.
go get youself an M3 C63 and whatever audi.

·
Registered
57 Posts
To all you passionate Maser owners

I am so sorry!! Someone must have switched my medicine!! I guess really I should have just told newbie to read through all the threads himself and come up with his own conclusion, rather than offer him a summary!! Yes, I did own an 05 coupe, practically brand new,that would have probably qualified as a lemon law buy back. I still loved it...but realize now that I am much better off without it. I must go now...I am off to the BMW board where I belong!!:D

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Auf Wiedersehen!!! :mad:

·
Registered
57 Posts
One last thing...

Hey guys,
Some of you are sooo easy to agitate!! I mean really, M, I don't deserve to own an MC Victory ?..I could buy one tomorrow if I wanted,all it takes is money to qualify for ownership! I loved my Maserati, but it did have a lot of unresolvable problems...The new owner called me and we talked for over half an hour. He is a repeat buyer (had an 03 coupe prior) He also explained that he knew going in that most Maserati's are a "project".
All I am saying is that everything I listed on my "negative only" list was taken directly off the posts that all the members of the forum posted. There are hundreds that I did not list, mainly because I thought I got the point across. If you guys aren't a bunch of Maserati salesmen, then I do not see why you should be so defensive about one post simply dishng the dirt. That is what Newbie wanted to know, he already is aware of the beauty, the exclusivity, and the Ferrari blood line....He just wanted to know what kind of BS he would be in for if he owned one of these.... so really, don't make this all about me, I'm just telling it like it is....I'll close with this thought from my financial advisor: the purchase of a second exotic car is a definite sign of a learning disability!!!:D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hey guys,
Some of you are sooo easy to agitate!! I mean really, M, I don't deserve to own an MC Victory ?..I could buy one tomorrow if I wanted,all it takes is money to qualify for ownership! I loved my Maserati, but it did have a lot of unresolvable problems...The new owner called me and we talked for over half an hour. He is a repeat buyer (had an 03 coupe prior) He also explained that he knew going in that most Maserati's are a "project".
All I am saying is that everything I listed on my "negative only" list was taken directly off the posts that all the members of the forum posted. There are hundreds that I did not list, mainly because I thought I got the point across. If you guys aren't a bunch of Maserati salesmen, then I do not see why you should be so defensive about one post simply dishng the dirt. That is what Newbie wanted to know, he already is aware of the beauty, the exclusivity, and the Ferrari blood line....He just wanted to know what kind of BS he would be in for if he owned one of these.... so really, don't make this all about me, I'm just telling it like it is....I'll close with this thought from my financial advisor: the purchase of a second exotic car is a definite sign of a learning disability!!!:D
yes, you can even go buy yourself an MC12 tomorrow.

but, ask yourself, if you read what you wrote, do you deserve to be driving an MC Victory?

what is there to dish the dirt???
you pull the information from the forum, so what's there for you to dish out?
do you think the newbie cannot read??

every car, every manufacturer has their own set of problems.
if you can't live with it, don't.

i think you are the one that is "BUT....denial is not a river in Egypt!! "
you couldn't live with the 05 coupe and then sold it.
that should be the end of the story.

but why linger the maserati forum and even bother getting an MC Victory if you can be so negative about all this? you are in denial.

btw, i am defensive because i love my maserati's.

no denial there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very reliable car with quirks...

I bought a used '03 Spyder in '05. It had about 8000 miles on it. I've put another 16000 on it since then. Its my regular ride. I've had both long and short commutes, some weeks driving the car 30 miles each way daily and recently driving maybe once a week. It fires up every time. The car has been extremely reliable.

But it does some odd things sometimes. For example the electronics occasionally boot up incorrectly and the A/C, radio, mirrors, turn signals don't work. This can usually be corrected by restarting the car, rebooting the system. Even so the car runs fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts